Sign in to follow this  
BC KBOS

The World Has Changed

Guest davaz

Sometimes the world changes and you know that things will never be the same again. For me and flight sims that happened today when I received an email from FSGenesis saying that 9 meter mesh would be available shortly for FSX.I realized that for third party developers the world has changed as well. All their energies will now be focused on either new product development or bringing current products up to FSX speed.Yes, I realize that there are

Guest Langeveldt

I think eventually everyone will have made the full transition to FSX.. Although FS9 is a brilliant bit of kit, there can't be too many people at the moment for example who are still using FS2000 or FS2002? And obviously developers will have to adjust to that, Maybe I'm totally wrong.. :)PPL - Algoa Flying Club (Port Elizabeth, South Africa)FS5, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX user :)

Guest psouthan

I run FS9 with everthing maxed out, I mean everything and I get frame rates up in the 40s. I ran FX and she stuttered and spat at me, I was really disappointed.I hougth I had a reasonable PC until I looked in a shop the other day, I have an X800XT radeon card, Pentium 4 2GB Corsair Ram 700GB of hard drive space and FX just grinded to a stuttereven with certain fancy frills turned off. Is my PC that old?Paul

Guest allcott

>I run FS9 with everthing maxed out, I mean everything and I>get frame rates up in the 40s. I ran FX and she stuttered and>spat at me, I was really disappointed.>>I hougth I had a reasonable PC until I looked in a shop the>other day, I have an X800XT radeon card, Pentium 4 2GB Corsair>Ram 700GB of hard drive space and FX just grinded to a>stuttereven with certain fancy frills turned off. Is my PC>that old?>>Paul No, but lets remind you, you HAVEN'T been using FSX, you've been using a beta or a demo. NOT the same thing at all, as the newest version of the demo now shows.You will switch. We all will. It's only a question of when.Allcott

Guest FxF3

>I run FS9 with everthing maxed out, I mean everything and I>get frame rates up in the 40s. I ran FX and she stuttered and>spat at me, I was really disappointed.>>I hougth I had a reasonable PC until I looked in a shop the>other day, I have an X800XT radeon card, Pentium 4 2GB Corsair>Ram 700GB of hard drive space and FX just grinded to a>stuttereven with certain fancy frills turned off. Is my PC>that old?>>Paul Paul when FS11 comes out we will be saying this about FSX. The cycle goes on. We ask for more we get it but we have to pay the price nothing is free.It seems like your computer should run FSX better then that. Do you use Cacheman?

Guest panda234

The world didn't change. MS released a new version of FS and now there is North American mesh for it. Upgrading to a new version is not one of life's important moments.

>Yes, I realize that there are

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

>The world didn't change. MS released a new version of FS and>now there is North American mesh for it. Upgrading to a new>version is not one of life's important moments.Have to agree here. When I read the title of the thread, I thought: wow, better check yahoo news. Flightsimming is a game, there to enjoy, has nothing to do with anything "important".ricardo

>>My guess is that the majority will make that transisiton in a flood

Eric 

Yeah, I'm sure there will be lots more people making threads about how righteous they are for sticking it to the man and not buying FSX as they do now. Of course, in a few months that will change anyway.

:-lol I Thought this might be an interesting post ...instead it's the same ol' ****! :-roll

Actually, there IS something weird here.The SIM hasn't even been actually RELEASED yet and ALREADY there are mods being offered for sale!How Pavlovian have we gotten that we have to improve a thing we haven't yet seen?Sure, some will need the next rendition of FSUIPC for add-ons like the PFC console, but maybe not. I don't know. I'll know when the sim is installed in my PC.If I need it, I guess I'll buy it then. I've been doing this for a while and this is the first time I see stuff for sale before the actual product is released.Freaking weird if you ask me....BC

>:-lol I Thought this might be an interesting post ...instead>it's the same ol' ****! :-roll:-lol

Hey BC,Actually, that's not that weird, our community team made a concerted effort to invite a broad cross section of 3rd party devs (both payware and freeware) onto the beta, and this is also the first time we actually provided what bits of the SDK were available at the time with the Beta builds(instead of 6months to a year after RTM :-> ).Pete's been working on FSUIPC since the beta started (using the new SimConnect interface as his backend interface into the sim instead of having to ferret out several hundred memory addresses, some of which might not be available anymore - actually, I don't think any of them are available in the way that Pete used to access them, so SimConnect was really the only choice this time around :-> ).Apparently Justin has been working on new mesh scenery already :->Several other of the beta testers have already started playing around with SimConnect (I think the FSHost and/or FSInn folks have FSX support in testing already), working with the new mission system (including someone who has started on a UML style visualizer/editor for mission files), trying out things with the new camera system (including someone who has started on a UI app to edit/create camera definitions in your aircraft.cfg and camera.cfg files).The C# managed wrapper for SimConnect will make it much easier for new add-on devs to dabble with FS addons (even if only for their own use at first). You can use the free Express version of either Visual C# or Visual C++ (for non-managed SimConnect clients) with the free SDK (well free if you buy the Deluxe SKU anyway :-> ) to create anything from very simple (store the aircraft lat/lon values at some fixed time rate for a simple traceback log) to very complicated (external MFD type displays, etc) addons. Our hope is that the combo of the above will create a much more vibrant/varied/etc addon market for FSX. We've also committed to periodic updates to the SimConnect interface to either fix implementation bugs in existing interfaces and to add new interfaces to access parts of the program that we didn't have time to wire up before RTM (using dev requests to prioritize the order of adding new/updated systems to at least some extent :-> ). There are also plans to have annual-ish FS dev summits that 3rd party folks can attend (haven't seen any schedule on these yet, sorry :-> ).I imagine we'll see a much larger number of FSX compatible/specific addon releases between FSX FTM and the end of 2006 (certainly when compared to FS9 where the SDK was so late in coming out).Our community team is currently geared up and out on the road showing off the new version at shows and whatnot (which is probably why you haven't seen much from Brett, Z, Hal, Mike, and company on these message boards lately) and working on ways to promote both the overall FS community (online sites like this one) as well as the addon community. There should be a new version of the http://www.fsinsider.com site going on-line in the next few weeks as part of this effort.Here's looking forward to an interesting next 12-months for FSX and its communities.Tim

Tim,Thanks for the update. Now, all that's missing is someone to ask "But what have you done for me lately?".Regards,JackD