Sign in to follow this  
carbonbasedlifeform

New beta released for FSX(!) to help develop FS2020

New beta branch available on Steam!

We've released a new beta branch for FSX:SE that will help us gain valuable new telemetry data that will help us in the development of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you are interested in assisting us with this process, please follow the link below, select the branch labeled fsx-beta – External Beta and select “yes” when asked if you allow telemetry. Remember that you are always able to opt out of the beta branch and return to the normal branch at any time.

I don't even know what to say about this one. In a new FSX (yes, FSX) open beta, they've fixed some bugs and re-enabled live weather! This ancient program is being updated! For those of us not in the FS2020 alpha or who still want to use FSX, this is very promising.

Be advised, this is a beta. This is not a release. Many (most?) addons are not working. Maybe I'm imagining it, but high-density areas seem to have better FPS. Live weather is back. Remember to back up if you want to test this. 😁

I remember a while back they said they have not forgotten FSX users! Pure guess: is this is going to assist them in allowing backwards compatibility in FS2020? 

Edited by carbonbasedlifeform
Clarification

According to the article from Hal Bryan, a former FSX developer, "An Inside Look at Microsoft's Newest Flight Simulator - Hangar Flying", MSFS2020 will be backward compatible with FSX so that we can use our FSX add-ons (or most of them).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

38 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

they've fixed some bugs and re-enabled live weather!

I have FSX/Acceleration (boxed version) and the link to live weather has not been activated.  Would be nice if they activated the weather link again.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

13 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I have FSX/Acceleration (boxed version) and the link to live weather has not been activated.  Would be nice if they activated the weather link again.

Unfortunately this might just be for FSX Steam Edition.

I think you are right.  Maybe they won't be updating the boxed version as I believe they shutdown the activation center too (not needed if you reinstall FSX boxed version on same hardware).

Submit News to AVSIM

Dumb questions. Does this include Flight Sim World? Any idea what "telemetry" data they are collecting? It could mean a lot of things. Could it be geographical locations of FSX installs? System information?

22 minutes ago, Bottle said:

Dumb questions. Does this include Flight Sim World? Any idea what "telemetry" data they are collecting? It could mean a lot of things. Could it be geographical locations of FSX installs? System information?

I don't think they are updating FSW or using telemetry data from it.

My guess is they are seeing what sort of addons people are using so they can make sure the important ones are compatible with FS2020. Shockingly, I think it's been reported they do want backwards compatibility. 

Remember to backup your %appdata folder if you want to try it.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:04 AM, Jim Young said:

It's a funny one this, the boxed fully Microsoft product doesn't have live weather activated while a licensed product FSX SE has live weather reactivated, come on MS activate both (I actually own both products). 

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, Bottle said:

Another dumb question? If add ons work from FSX, will P3D only add ons work? Yes I know they are all based on ESP, but that didn't stop some FSX add ons not working from FSX to P3D in the past.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

2 minutes ago, eaim said:

Another dumb question? If add ons work from FSX, will P3D only add ons work? Yes I know they are all based on ESP, but that didn't stop some FSX add ons not working from FSX to P3D in the past.

I don't think they would be supported since P3D is not under MS control. You might get lucky, but it would probably be up to the P3D addon makers to make it compatible and who knows if they want to bother with a 32 bit beta.