Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Plane Design Spitfire vs RealAir spitfire

Both planes are very good, but how come the FM are SOOOOO diff!? i mean flying the plane design (mk16) is a TRUE challenge! its very hard to fly, and has EXTEREMELY sensitive Trim... they say its been tested by real life spit pilots... well the realair one is alot more fun to fly (not so sensitive like the PD one)... they also say it was tested by real life spit pilots...so whats the deal here?I know both had diff engines, but its pretty much the same plane still...

>Both planes are very good, but how come the FM are SOOOOO>diff!? i mean flying the plane design (mk16) is a TRUE>challenge! its very hard to fly, and has EXTEREMELY sensitive>Trim... they say its been tested by real life spit pilots...>well the realair one is alot more fun to fly (not so sensitive>like the PD one)... they also say it was tested by real life>spit pilots...>>so whats the deal here?>>I know both had diff engines, but its pretty much the same>plane still... My first guess, is because RealAir knows how to design & program great flight modeling. But I haven't tried the Plane Design version.L.Adamson

yeah I hear ya... i'm just curious which has a more 'real' FM... because flying the 2 planes is liek comparing apples to oranges

Guest Peter Bowcut

The Realair Spitfire is as close as you can get to reality, period. Frankly, ANYTHING produced by Realair is 'PFM' (pure freakin magic). These guys practice some kind of ancient charms on Flight Simulator, and nothing else will ever compare to the realism herein. :) If you have the opportunity, buy everything they make (if you desire fidelity to the nth power).

>The Realair Spitfire is as close as you can get to reality,>period. Frankly, ANYTHING produced by Realair is 'PFM' (pure>freakin magic). These guys practice some kind of ancient>charms on Flight Simulator, and nothing else will ever compare>to the realism herein. :) >>If you have the opportunity, buy everything they make (if you>desire fidelity to the nth power). Yep.....And the joke these days, at a different X-Plane forum, is that anytime an MSFS versus X-Plane debate comes up, it's common to see:"Cue --- L.Adamson for the half page RealAir adds"Heck, I can't help it if these models are so excellent in regards to desktop flight modeling; and that they're my preference over what's available for the other sim! :-hah L.Adamson

so plane design one is not realistic at all :( so sad...they are both planes visual vise though, too bad the plane design has such poor FM then...

Guest allcott

Not true at all. The Real Air model is perhaps too stable, too unresponsive, too easy to fly unless you are at the edges of the performance envelope. But is all about the power, just like you might expect.Also, the Spit had a renowned roll rate of around 140 degrees a second. Can't do that with the RA model, can with the Plane Design.But a lot depends on how you have your controls set up. You need your joystick with absolute minimum null zone and max sensitivity, preferably claibrated through FSUIPC. Then you begin to see what both models are really capable of. And there is no real comparison between the Griffon and Merlin engined Spits anyway, they were completely different animals. Much more different than the engine change would suggest (The engine rotated the other way on the Griffon, reversing the take off swing). I would give the edge to the RA model, but not by much, and not if aerobatics are your thing.Allcott

I heaer ya on the engine rotating issue... they are both totally diff engines, but both engines weigh around the same so manuverability should be pretty close...its just i dunno which one to fly around in because i dunno which is more real..

>so plane design one is not realistic at all :( so sad...>>they are both planes visual vise though, too bad the plane>design has such poor FM then.....and you base this one what? A couple of simmers opinions? Realair has a big fan base, so you are going to get biased opinions. There are probably quite a few that don't even know about the Plane Designs model (which looks amazing)."its just i dunno which one to fly around in because i dunno which is more real.."Why not fly the one you enjoy the most.There is a long thread about the plane designs model at Sim Outhouse, maybe ask there http://www.sim-outhouse.com/Thread here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=25466Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

This is an interesting topic, and something I have been thinking about recently. Seems to me the Plane Design Spit has a certain authentic unstable warbird feel that the RealAir does not, but the RealAir version has its own sort of authentic feel. Which is closer to real I do not know. From what I have read you never pull all the way back on the stick in a Spit, else it will stall right out. With the RealAir spit you can pull back all the way in most flight conditions, with no stall, but if you try that in the Plane Design version, you are going down. You can almost flip the Plane Design nose over tail if you are going the right speed. In general the Real Air version seems to be way to stable, and easy to fly, which makes it quite fun, but I have to question how authentic it is. While on the other hand the Plane Design seems to un-stable, which also makes it fun to fly, though it seems it "floats" around way to much making precision flight hard. Floating that plane around at low speeds above the trees is one of my favorite things to do though.

I just read a writeup on an SNJ (AT-6) trainer, that claimed it was more difficult to fly than the P-51 Mustang. The joke was that the P-51 was really a trainer for the AT-6! :7 I don't remember my WWII Mustang "warbird" training tapes referring to an unstable machine either. However, I do know that a real world Spit "driver" was very impressed with the RealAir Spitfire when it was released.As to pulling back on the stick, much has to do with airspeed. I'll check it out, since I know the RA Spit likes to stall. L..Adamson

>From what I have read you never pull all the way back on the>stick in a Spit, else it will stall right out. With the>RealAir spit you can pull back all the way in most flight>conditions, with no stall, but if you try that in the Plane>Design version, you are going down. You can almost flip the>Plane Design nose over tail if you are going the right speed. >Took the RealAir Spit up for some up to date "stick & stall" testing. Used the clipped and elliptical wing versions. I used the recommended realism settings, as well as full realism settings.I tried numerous airspeed settings from near slow flight, to rather "speedy". In all cases, full stick resulted in a stall everytime. The only time I could use full back stick, is to keep the tail held down while slowing down on the landing roll.Sometimes the stall developed into a spin, and sometimes not. Secondary stalls after spin recovery also worked well.I have not tried the Plane Design Spit for any comparisons. Do have the newer Shockwave Spit for FS9/FSX, and it's close to the feel of the RealAir version.L.Adamson

It's VERY important to adjust the sensitivity of your controls in FS. If you don't you will not get full range of motion out of the controls, which will tend to make it impossible to stall, but also impossible to pull extreme maneuvers.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>It's VERY important to adjust the sensitivity of your>controls in FS. If you don't you will not get full range of>motion out of the controls, which will tend to make it>impossible to stall, but also impossible to pull extreme>maneuvers.>My sensitivity settings are maxxed, and null settings are next to none. I like aerobatic manuvers! :-hah Even have instant wing and return to center views set up for the VC's, to keep a quick eye on the horizons.L.Adamson

Guest sillyeagle

I just tested and I guess what I was seeing happens at high speeds. Over 250mph the RealAir Spit can easily use full back wih no stall, climbing or diving. When I tested there was no stall until speed fell below 250mph. I could jerk it back as hard as I wanted. With the Plane Design Spit full back causes it to flip into a 90 degree AoA, regardless of speed. My sensitivities are at default, so that might affect things. I can't image trying to fly the Plane design version with more sensitivity though. The RealAir spit feels quite unresponsive compared to it.