Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v3 crash but no Event Viewer entry

Yes. Or any other device operating within DX can prevent proper operation within other parts of the DX framework, or a poor PSU. Unplug everything you don't need install everything default set default mobo and GPU behaviour etc. I always start there.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

12 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

The DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error is only caused by those who try to overclock or tweak their GPU with one of those tweaking programs that comes your GPU.  The DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error does not happen to FSX/P3D products only.  It can happen to any software program if you just do a simple tweak using one of the tweaking programs.  It does not happen to everyone who uses one of those tweaking program and I am not sure why.  I use the ASUS GPU TweakII and click on overclock and it automatically overclocks the GPU. 

JIm, I can assure you that you will get that error if you install FSL Spotlights with a driver later than 376.33. It's well known on the FSL forum.

Steve, the aircraft cannot be modified in any way nor am I willing to reinstall P3Dv3 to a default path for one aircraft I don't fly that often. I also have to run my UHD monitor at 1920*1080 which compromises the display. I'm not the only one having this problem. Concorde was fine on my previous PC. Windows 7 and compatible graphics drivers. That world is now gone never to return.

I will run Process Monitor on my next flight and see if it gives any useful info. Thanks to you both for your help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

JIm, I can assure you that you will get that error if you install FSL Spotlights with a driver later than 376.33. It's well known on the FSL forum.

Steve, the aircraft cannot be modified in any way nor am I willing to reinstall P3Dv3 to a default path for one aircraft I don't fly that often. I also have to run my UHD monitor at 1920*1080 which compromises the display. I'm not the only one having this problem. Concorde was fine on my previous PC. Windows 7 and compatible graphics drivers. That world is now gone never to return.

I will run Process Monitor on my next flight and see if it gives any useful info. Thanks to you both for your help.

I'm not telling you to modify your plane, I'm giving you ways to investigate. It's up to you if you want to do anything about it. Others reading might be inclined to look deeper, that's all.

Since you say a driver version beyond a certain date causes it, that would usually indicate that the older driver was simply not showing something what the later driver does. And in the attempt to show it, the system fails. So you didn't miss what you never had anyway.

Edited by SteveW

..It's not clear that this happens to all users. If some are running OK and others not, then look for commonality there. But otherwise, as I mentioned, the plane would require modification. If that's the case, it's a worthwhile project for some.

41 minutes ago, SteveW said:

..It's not clear that this happens to all users. If some are running OK and others not, then look for commonality there. But otherwise, as I mentioned, the plane would require modification. If that's the case, it's a worthwhile project for some.

Lefteris Kalamatis has said there will be no further updates to 32-bit Concorde. The project is dead. Those who want to freeze thir system can stil fly it. I'm not prepared to compromise my P3Dv4 installation for that. I'd like to carry on flying Concorde but not at any price.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes ray, I understand all that. I'm saying that since it is dead, there's no harm if anyone wanted to attempt to find the cause of the condition and maybe find a simple fix if possible. If it's a worthwhile aircraft to them they probably will.

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I will add it as a cause to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error.  Thanks.  I do not visit FSL or use FSL Spotlights.  I would suspect it is a very old program and there's a lot of incompatibility with old software.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

JIm, the download link for the CTD Guide appears broken.

I'm flying LPPT-EGCC at present with an older version of AS16 as the latest one had 'flashing' clouds. When the sim crashes over open water it's hard to think what has changed that could cause it. It's not beyond the possibility that an injection of weather might be the reason. If it can cause clouds to flash perhaps it might cause other issues. Just a wild guess.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What do you mean by "over open water"? That you are far away from things? I already mentioned you need not be near anything for problems to appear.

So to recap; you get a crash over open water with Concord (without the lights added lights since they cause a known crash with later drivers) and there's no event in admin events?

So I say to that; do you get the crash on a stock system with only that which is necessary added?

41 minutes ago, SteveW said:

What do you mean by "over open water"? That you are far away from things? I already mentioned you need not be near anything for problems to appear.

So to recap; you get a crash over open water with Concord (without the lights added lights since they cause a known crash with later drivers) and there's no event in admin events?

So I say to that; do you get the crash on a stock system with only that which is necessary added?

Yes, open water today was west of Brest heading NNE towards the gap between England and Ireland. No Spotlights as they crash the system in a matter of seconds.

I was descending through 4000ft on a base leg for a 05R landing at EGCC when the sim crashed. The previous 1h 15m had been fine. UK2000 Manchester is disabled. The only active entry is an ORBX OPENLC_EUROPE1 entry. The crash was just a few miles from another crash two days ago. Seems a huge coincidence.

Reverting to a wipe and clean install of P3Dv3 is last resort. I'm not ready for that yet.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I don't bother with wipes and fresh starts, instead I use renaming folders and install copies alongside so as not to disturb setups. I have several copies of FSX and P3D for different purposes.

"crash was just a few miles from another crash" and "coincidence"

I think  you said happens with or without UTLive. Does it happen with another aircraft? Does it happen without the addon scenery? Does it happen on a stock copy with only essentials and a stock plane?

42 minutes ago, SteveW said:

"crash was just a few miles from another crash" and "coincidence"

I think  you said happens with or without UTLive. Does it happen with another aircraft? Does it happen without the addon scenery? Does it happen on a stock copy with only essentials and a stock plane?

Yes but currently UTLive is disabled. I reloaded from a autosave 10-15nm back and was able to fly over the same area (within a mile or so) and no crash. Landed fine. Weird!

Tried flying over that area from Liverpool in a Bonanza and absolutely fine. The attached screenshot shows where I crashed today - red X - and where I crashed two days ago - blue X. But if the scenery was the problem why didn't it crash on the reload with Concorde or when I flew the Bonanza? I don't think this is scenery related.

But if not scenery then what? It never seem to happen early in a flight, always towards the end. VAS was fine - over 900Mb remaining. It's baffling.ConcordeCrash.jpg?dl=0

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You would normally see a memory message. However, reported VAS may not actually be that memory which is in use that caused crashing, when there is no event. Try the crashing setup on another similar length flight, in another part of the world if you can.

Currently flying LPPT-GCTS. 1000nm. Should have a report within the hour. 3rd party scenery enabled for both airports.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather