Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v3 crash but no Event Viewer entry

Taken any good shots?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

JIm, the download link for the CTD Guide appears broken.

Thanks Ray.  Have passed the issue to Brian, the AVSIM Tech.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

44 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Taken any good shots?

What? At 1920*1080 on a UHD display? 😁 It doesn't look great.

Anyway, that flight was fine. No hiccups at all. When you consider the number of subpanels opened and closed to get Concorde setup for a flight that is when I might expect a crash. And switching views from inside to outside. No problems at all.

I shall try a US flight tomorrow. JFK down to Orlando. Never had problems there in the past.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1080 is big enough to reduce to say 720 in a paint tool which sharpens it up if you've not got much AA and takes less room if putting up on the server..

Steve, I follow you but do you want external or VC shots? AA is 4xMSAA from memory. I assume this just curiosity, not for problem solving. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I saw your map screenshot so I thought why not, let's have a look at the scene. I'm indoors, a bit of sky would be good. Maybe a shot of the VC too would interesting. 

Edited by SteveW

It will have to be Saturday I’m afraid. Busy tomorrow. Downsizing a UHD display - even a good one like BenQ - does compromise the image quality. But it will give you a good idea of what it’s like to fly a proper aeroplane and not a computer with wings! 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I didn't mean to cause a fuss. 😁

• Like 1

I had time for another test flight. KJFK-KMCO. The big news is there was no crash despite having two 3rd party airports enabled. I will continue trying different parts of the globe to narrow down where the crashes are most likely.

As promised here are a couple of shots - one external with the aircraft around 45,000ft and another of the main instruments. FL370 11 mins after take-off at Mach 1.24 and if you check the third row of engine gauges fuel is being consumed at a rate of 46 tonnes per hour whilst reheats are engaged. 😎 The pumps are struggling to pump fuel rearwards quickly enough hence the CG warning light.

Climb rate is 2,000fpm and Mach 1.7 will be reached within 3 minutes. Reheats then come off for the rest of the flight and the aircraft reached FL580 before the decel and descent into Orlando.

JFK to Orlando in 1h 13m. 😎 I forgot to reset altimeter pressure. Tut tut!

Down in the bottom right you can see INS1. The distance to the next waypoint is 254nm and will be reached in 21.5 mins.

Conc_52000.jpg?dl=0

Conc_Gauges.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray. Now that's what I wanted to see! Awesome.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 3:33 PM, Jim Young said:

Thanks Ray.  Have passed the issue to Brian, the AVSIM Tech.

Jim, link still broken..:sad:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With some free time I tried flying Concorde around the area that caused P3D to crash on two previous occasions. Departing Manchester and flying westward there wasn't a problem but after reaching WAL VOR I turned around and flew back along the same heading that previously caused a crash.

And it crashed for a third time. Something to do with the heading perhaps. But that would be bizarre. I am truly baffled by this behaviour.Conc_Crash.jpg?dl=0

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 11/17/2019 at 12:45 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have both P3D v3 and v4. This particualar problem has never occured in v4, only v3. Version is v3.4 and I'm only using it to fly FS Labs Concorde.

Since the crashes are occurring in P3DV3, a 32-bit application, I suspect a VAS issue.  That would explain the no event viewer entries regarding the crash.  When you run out of VAS, sometimes the sim will show a message that you ran out of memory and these messages can get hidden behind the active Window.  Have you used the FSUIPC utility to monitor VAS?  You set it up using the following information shown in the AVSIM CTD Guide:

fsuipc.PNG.5f80ca4f9be444c0d55fcd6ba9de23bc.PNG

There are many crashes similar to yours on the Internet near the TOD, during the descent, and while on Approach.  This is when P3D uses the most resources.  The next time you try this flight, rename your p3d.cfg to p3d.off (if you want to use it if this does not solve your CTD.  In the scenery.cfg folder, rename scenery.cfg to scenery.off or, if you have Lorby's Add-on Organizer, disable all add-on scenery.  Rename the dll.xml to dll.off or disable each entry as I know you want to have the FSL entry enabled for the Concorde.  Do not disable the dll.xml located in the same folder as your p3d.cfg (another one may not exist as the change of the default location of the dll.xml might have started with P3DV4).  If you renamed these 3 files, they will be created when you restart.  Try to keep your p3d settings at the default.  If anything is changed, I would make sure the correct resolution is shown on the front page and turn off FXAA.  Leave graphics, lighting and other page alone.  Yes, it might look a little ugly during your flight but you are only investigating/testing to see if this fixes your crashes.  If it does solve your crashes, I would suspect something in the p3d.cfg or dll.xml.  It is pretty rare when an add-on scenery causes the issue unless the add-on scenery is not compatible with P3Dv3.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The CTD Guide download link is still broken.  Tech still working on it.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

Its definitely not VAS. I have a second PC on which I run a Lua file that includes a instantaneous readout of VAS. There was several hundred Mb free at the time of the crash. That’s where I run Little Navmap that shows the exact position of the crash.

Now that I seem to have a scenario that I can reproduce I’m going to switch to another aircraft and fly the same route and fly the 120° radial outbound from the WAL VOR. That is very close to the previous crashes. If I can get it to crash with another aircraft that will be key. I appreciate your suggestions but the only airport in that area is Liverpool a few miles north and I know that is okay for P3D v3.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather