Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
smoothchat

Do we have a definitive list of the 3D cities?

Recommended Posts

Thanks, finally found it, but Oh man, there's a looooootttt of cities missing, Ie in Great Britain there's only 1, yes one city (Southhampton), in Denmark only Copenhagen and not a single city in The Netherlands. On the other hand, the trees just look awful, so I'm beginning to think that sceneries and cities made with the Azure ai engine, will look way better than the photogrammetry cities.


Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlund said:

   I'm beginning to think that sceneries and cities made with the Azure ai engine, will look way better than the photogrammetry cities.

At that stage, I don't think, I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best


Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlund said:

Thanks, finally found it, but Oh man, there's a looooootttt of cities missing, Ie in Great Britain there's only 1, yes one city (Southhampton), in Denmark only Copenhagen and not a single city in The Netherlands. On the other hand, the trees just look awful, so I'm beginning to think that sceneries and cities made with the Azure ai engine, will look way better than the photogrammetry cities.

Well. About the trees, I thought the same sometimes about default ones. Some of the photogrammetry ones lokes more leafy, some of autogen looks better, but other times photogrammetry ones looks worse and autogen ones didn't even match. 

Everything have its pros and cons.

But Photogrammetry cities looks like the real ciy, while with autogen ones I always have a sensation of "empty" space. I can't exactly explain it.

Edited by aleex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google Earth has thousands of 3D Photogrammetry cities, but of course google is a separate company to Microsoft, and so maybe at some stage in the future Microsoft may want to think about buying in this other data? 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies in advance, but what is the difference between photogrammetry and AI-generated models? Don't both approaches require some form of satellite imaging to predict and model what buildings look like in the Flight Sim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SterlingCrimson92 said:

Apologies in advance, but what is the difference between photogrammetry and AI-generated models? Don't both approaches require some form of satellite imaging to predict and model what buildings look like in the Flight Sim?

Photogrammetry doesn't predict much. It's like a 3d scan done from above. What you see is what is actually there. With the right textures too and all that.
The AI generated models instead follows a thinking process such as "ok we don't have photogrammetry data in this area but we have satellite data. Roofs here are mostly red, so the generated models should have red roofs too" etc etc

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've completed the 3d cities list. Now we have 345 cities. Since it's slightly too big to post here as text I've uploaded it as a picture.

page 1:V5fdinN.jpg

page 2:5MIz43f.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought with Asobo being a French studio more importance would be give to Europe and elsewhere. Instead it's full of the usual US cities. I personally mostly fly in Switzerland and Europe in general, sometimes as far east as Turkey.

I really don't need some lost place in the middle of Alabama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DreamSkywards said:

I thought with Asobo being a French studio more importance would be give to Europe and elsewhere. Instead it's full of the usual US cities.

It aren't the MSFS devs who decide which areas get high detailed photogrammetry and which don't. It depends on the available data from Bing Maps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

It aren't the MSFS devs who decide which areas get high detailed photogrammetry and which don't. It depends on the available data from Bing Maps.

 

True. I admit that detail escaped me for a moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a bit disappointing is the lack of Moscow and Saint Petersburg i think.

But yeah, it shows yet again how Bing Maps is still more of an american project than a global one like Google Maps is at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, france89 said:

Also a bit disappointing is the lack of Moscow and Saint Petersburg i think.

But yeah, it shows yet again how Bing Maps is still more of an american project than a global one like Google Maps is at this point.

To be fair Google Maps doesn't have them either, but it's true that Google still has a much better global coverage than Bing.

Edited by DreamSkywards
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the limited number of photogrammetry cities outside the US is a tiny bit of a downer, not least because we know the deta are there, only on the wrong servers. However, I think we should not forget that non-photogrammetry scenery looks great as well. In rural areas in particular it might even look better (procedural grass, no weird trees, high quality autogen etc.). Also, they said that Bing are constantly updating their data and adding new 3d areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a strange selection partly. Paris and London are missing but we have Rouen and Portsmouth?

Does anybody have an insight how Bing selects the (order of the) cities to be covered with photogrammetry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DreamSkywards said:

To be fair Google Maps doesn't have them either, but it's true that Google still has a much better global coverage than Bing.

Yes absolutely, i meant more about the overall coverage. In italy Bing covers 10 cities at best, Google Maps probably over 50 or so.

27 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I agree that the limited number of photogrammetry cities outside the US is a tiny bit of a downer, not least because we know the deta are there, only on the wrong servers. However, I think we should not forget that non-photogrammetry scenery looks great as well. In rural areas in particular it might even look better (procedural grass, no weird trees, high quality autogen etc.). Also, they said that Bing are constantly updating their data and adding new 3d areas.

That is true, but in the end we'll have to see how generic and non generic those non photogrammetry places will be.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    31%
    $7,770.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...