Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

They are giving it away free Mesh 19mm

Guest FxF3

ttp://www.fsproject.com just add the hSorry if this has been posted already:-) And free is good.

>ttp://www.fsproject.com just add the h>>Sorry if this has been posted already:-) And free is good.FxF3thank you so much for that! I ran some tests on the 38's from fsgenesis and installed these and wow!! this is great! Here is a shot! Thanks again.Tim :Dhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/157662.jpg

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Many thanks to FSPROJECT for the free mesh. Hey Tim, your REP is a perfect companion for this good looking mesh. Great combination of two excellent FS9 addons. I've said it before but, once again - many thanks Tim......

Hi all,before everyone starts filling their harddisks with gigabytes of LOD11 mesh files you may want to consider some of the potential issues:* you will need to have FS9 updated to FS9.1 *and* Terrain_Max_Vertex_Level set to 21 to even see the 19-m data in the sim.* setting TMVL to 21 can create display problems with scenery add-ons developed for lower settings and also often leads to suqared-off terrain shadows.* even with TMVL at 21, the distance FS will display the LOD11 mesh is less than 8 miles! Beyond that distance FS will automatically switch to the available mesh file with the next highest LOD. If that mesh was compiled from different source data and you have increased the TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS/TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS settings in FS9.cfg you're much more likely to see light blue mesh gaps at the transition boundary.* the addition of the high-res mesh and the automatic switching to lower-res mesh files means you'll probably see more terrain morphing near the aircraft.* for most areas of the US you won't be able to tell the difference between a LOD10 and LOD11 mesh, particularly while flying (instead of taking screenshots); the patterns in the ground texture and autogen cover will mask the difference between elevation points every 125ft vs. elevation points at every 62ft.* quite a few scenery add-ons have features that are dependent on a specific terrain shape. This includes some of the Georender airfields, the new Portland Flight Zone 02, MegaScenery titles, and some of my packages, etc. The LOD11 mesh will automatically override any mesh file included with those add-ons and thus possibly lead to display issues, like displaced objects or photoreal textures that don't match well the underlying terrain. * while Raimondo's LOD11 mesh files are compatible with FSX they are not compiled in the new FSX multi-LOD technique, which is meant to overcome some of the problems mentioned above. Thus, while the files will work in FSX they are not optimized for FSX and much larger and thus probably more resource hungry than they need to be.Cheers, Holger

Holger,Thx.what is your opinion on the new FSGensis Mesh for FSX? Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Manny,good question. I can't answer specifically to the quality of the package because I haven't had a chance to test Justin's new mesh files yet but there are some obvious differences.Note that most of my concerns above are in regards to high-res mesh files used in FS9, given the technical limitations of that sim version and the issues of compatibility with existing add-ons.In contrast, the FS Genesis mesh is made for FSX only, compiled at an even higher resolution, LOD12 or 9m, but done so with the FSX-specific tools. Due to some clever changes ACES made to the FSX terrain "engine" those files are actually much smaller than Raimondo's files yet include a full complement of lower LOD files (what we termed "buffer mesh" in FS9). This should take care of the display distance and terrain morphing issues I mentioned above. A single-LOD FS9-style mesh like Raimondo's cannot achieve that.It'll be a few months of observing and testing before we fully understand the changes made to mesh display (e.g., how do priorities work now? Has the radius of detailed mesh display been increased? etc.) but it seems that some of the mesh issues present in FS9 are going to be a thing of the past. Personally, I don't think that a continent-wide high-res mesh is going to make a major visible difference in 95% of the landscape but I know that higher-resolution terrain has been requested by many users of any add-on mesh.Besides, given Raimondo's typical pattern of freeware vs. payware offerings I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see a commercial FSProject 19-m or 10-m mesh package made specifically for FSX ;-)Cheers, Holger

Yup, Justin hit the nail squarely on the head in that message.And, I am sorely tempted to remove any message on our forums having to do with this guy. He bashes AVSIM at every opportunity and me personally I might add, and he should be allowed to get free publicity here? I don't think so.

While I trust Justin enough to take him at his word concerning this, it's good to have another who can back him up.

>Yup, Justin hit the nail squarely on the head in that>message.>>And, I am sorely tempted to remove any message on our forums>having to do with this guy. He bashes AVSIM at every>opportunity and me personally I might add, and he should be>allowed to get free publicity here? I don't think so.Yikes, I hope I didn't offend anybody here by posting a screenshot :( Feel free to remove it. Sorry :( I dad no clue what this guys was about.Tim

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Thx Holger.Appreciate it.I bought FSGenesis yesterday. I am yet to download it. Its very very reasonably priced as well.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I didn't know that either. But, if Justin says that's the way it is that's good enough for me. All of his freeware stuff is going to the recycle bin as soon as I finish typing this.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Yup, Justin hit the nail squarely on the head in that>message.>>And, I am sorely tempted to remove any message on our forums>having to do with this guy. He bashes AVSIM at every>opportunity and me personally I might add, and he should be>allowed to get free publicity here? I don't think so.Tom...just so that I'm clear on who you are referring to.Is it Justin's comments? or the author of the free mesh?Keep in mind I don't know anything about either of these people;I was just trying understand your comments, after reading Justin's comments.

I'm certain that he's standing up for Justin here. Tom is talking about deleting this thread so the 'freeware' author doesn't get any free advertising.

Hi all,while I'm definitely on Raimondo's not-liked list myself - and I wear that badge with honor ;-) - I don't think many people are interested in the personal conflicts between developers, file hosts, etc. Thus, my posts were meant to provide factual information about the differences between those file packages and FS9 vs FSX terrain mesh display in general.The fact is that if someone uploads freeware somewhere, some people will use it. Thus, I'd rather educate people about possible implications of installing those files than suppress discussions about their existance. After all, it's myself and others who will end up having to answer questions regarding compatibility with our own projects.Cheers, Holger