Sign in to follow this  
wesleychang42

Flight Simulator X Beta Update

We've released a new beta branch for FSX:SE that will help us gain valuable new telemetry data that will help us in the development of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you are interested in assisting us with this process, please follow the link below, select the branch labeled fsx-beta – External Beta and select “yes” when asked if you allow telemetry. Remember that you are always able to opt out of the beta branch and return to the normal branch at any time.

Setting up the Steam Client for FSX Beta
To join the FSX beta follow these simple steps:

1. Right Click on the FSX: Steam Edition in your Steam Library.
2. Select Properties.
3. Select BETA Tab.

265fe4730d69bd36f5861af422d57338606aae59.png

4. Choose fsx-beta External Beta branch. You DO NOT NEED a code.
5. Restart your Steam Client.

To reverse the changes and go to live build once again, just select branch - NONE and restart your steam client.

Bug Fixes
Included in this update are also a number of fixes, which you can find below:

CHANGELIST:

Turbine
  • Resolved issue in N1 values where some settings were set to zero
  • Fixed issue where fuel flow not saved and set to 0 when started in the air

Agent radar

• Resolved in flight issue which resulted in intermittent crashes when using navigation way-points

Conversion

• Impression fixes when converting knots to meters per second

Piston

• Small fixes to oil pressure table
  • C172 oil pressure changed to start with a valid value

Live Weather

• Reintegrated Live Weather
  • When a weather station METAR line reading is failing the data will now be extrapolated from the weighted mean of the closest available METAR sources, instead of resetting to default weather

Looks like FSX Steam got a beta update. Interestingly, this will somehow help the development of the new flight sim.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wesleychang42 said:

Interestingly, this will somehow help the development of the new flight sim.

Probably collecting data on users hardware (CPU/GPU/RAM) etc?

• Like 1

Matthew S

Saw someone on Reddit mention the performance was pretty much doubled. Have my doubts, anyone tried it?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Deleted all folders and Files, Installed, Started sim. Accepted EULA, Exited. Applied Beta, Started, Did a Flight. Exited, Applied add on's. All good no crashes.

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Saw someone on Reddit mention the performance was pretty much doubled. Have my doubts, anyone tried it?

I'm sure if it was so easy to double frame rates others would of achieved this previously.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

10 minutes ago, eaim said:

I'm sure if it was so easy to double frame rates others would of achieved this previously.

I am getting 80 to 120 FPS LAX area  70 to 90 FPS KSFO 4k But that might be newer rig too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eaim said:

Who said the work that has gone into the patch was easy? Could be new code, stuff that sprung out from the development of MSFS etc.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I suspect that the Vanilla MSFS 2020 will run at a constant 60fps with a top of the line 9 series (8 core) intel cpu at stock clock and a GTX 2080ti with all the performance sliders to the right.

Perhaps even with slightly lesser hardware

The new beta Vanilla FSX Steam edition at CYVR and the surrounding area delivers 60fps with all the sliders to the right including all the traffic sliders

on my 8086K system at 5.3ghz

Try that back in 2006 with FSX on the latest hardware back then and you'd probably see about 10fps

Edited by Avidean

Add to that first of all it's good customer service for people using FSX-SE that they are fixing a few bugs for them, turning Live Weather back on again, and I think also learning about the Steam environment so when/if MSFS 2020 comes to Steam ( they stated early on that they wanted it everywhere their potential customers were ). I have no clue but I would think there are some customers that will only get their games from Steam, and no I have no data to support that, it's just a guess. I for one hope they do offer it on different services, it's good business if they can make it work. Xbox Game Pass for a one time purchase, Xbox Game Pass Subscribers, that might try it and like it cause it there to try, maybe a Microsoft Store ( but I think Xbox Game Pass is that place now and in the future), Steam, and any other service where they can get customers but also easily sent out updates and new features in the future.

Not everyone can afford new hardware often but enjoy FSX-SE on their current systems. Heck I even ran it on a laptop for years and enjoyed every minute of it. Laptop and a cheap joystick and I was flying for almost 8-10 years like that. When/if they upgrade at some point to a new computer that run's Windows 10 first of all, and can handle MSFS 2020 they will switch over probably as FSX-SE user base declines possibly.

As long as you enjoy your current sim, no matter what it is, have fun! If you do or don't ever fly MSFS 2020 that is entirely your decision! But I think avid fan's of flight simulation will probably switch over at some point. You also have to think about life, people go to college, get career's, have families, and some leave the hobby for awhile and some come back. I think more than a few have said there are going to sim again after being away, just because of the MSFS 2020 announcement? I have no data for that either. Just seen a few people say that in the forum's!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Well, they fixed it good for me. When trying to update FSX-SE, I got an error message that MSVCR80.DLL, MSCVP80.DLL, and MFC80.DLL could not be found, so it was unable to run the installer.  These files do exist on my computer, last installed with Windows Update on 7/26/2019.  Now I get a "Access is denied" error when trying to start FSX-SE.  Not really interested in going through the whole installation process again with all my 3rd party scenery, airplanes, etc.  Guess I'm done with flight simulation until the new Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Update:  Weil, I fixed it.  I copied the specified files from where the were into the FSX-SE main directory.  It opens fine now.  I will probably have to go back and reinstall some stuff, though, because I first followed their process for recovering from installation/updating errors.  One of the steps was to verify the integrity of game files.  It found over 5000 files that needed to be replaced.  I have a feeling that some or all of these files have to do with add-ons that will now be affected.

Edited by Donstim
Provide update

Add to that first of all it's good customer service for people using FSX-SE that they are fixing a few bugs for them, turning Live Weather back on again, and I think also learning about the Steam environment so when/if MSFS 2020 comes to Steam ( they stated early on that they wanted it everywhere their potential customers were ). I have no clue but I would think there are some customers that will only get their games from Steam, and no I have no data to support that, it's just a guess. I for one hope they do offer it on different services, it's good business if they can make it work. Xbox Game Pass for a one time purchase, Xbox Game Pass Subscribers, that might try it and like it cause it there to try, maybe a Microsoft Store ( but I think Xbox Game Pass is that place now and in the future), Steam, and any other service where they can get customers but also easily sent out updates and new features in the future.

Isn't this the wrong forum or am I confused ?

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS