Sign in to follow this  
dtrjones

What monitor to play Flight Simulator 2020?

With the recent XO19 trailer being shot in 4K ultrawide coinciding with my need to pair up a new gaming rig housing an i9900K and RTX 2080 Ti with a monitor, I'm asking myself the question what is the best monitor to play FS2020?

I'm having a hard time at the moment deciding what will work best with Flight Simulator, should I invest in proper HDR with local dimming? Will a VA panel be ok or should I choose the more colour accurate IPS panels. I'm a casual FPS'er as well but I mainly sim on my rig.

What monitors do you have and are you looking at upgrading and if so what monitors have you looked at. Personally I don't see the need to go multimonitor and I'm not looking for anything wider than ultrawide but I also like the more conventional 16:9 aspect ratio's as well.

Money is not a factor, my current choice is the ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ 35" for the HDR experience, but I really like the LG UltraGear 38GL950G but doesn't have anywhere near as good HDR.

I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9HCJ2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So happy with it, it is an absolute beast, if you decide to splurge, make sure you get that one and not the lower priced one as the one above is 5120 x 1440 which makes a huge difference in fidelity. The only bad thing you can say about it is it is 120hz instead of 144 but it supports freesync and now that Nvidia finally supports freesync you really can't go wrong

lo3F4iC.jpg

Edited by snwboardn
  • Like 2

Tyson Rose

On 11/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, snwboardn said:

I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9HCJ2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So happy with it, it is an absolute beast, if you decide to splurge, make sure you get that one and not the lower priced one as the one above is 5120 x 1440 which makes a huge difference in fidelity. The only bad thing you can say about it is it is 120hz instead of 144 but it supports freesync and now that Nvidia finally supports freesync you really can't go wrong

Oh well ! i'm going on CRG9 too !!! you need to put your screen on 100hz if you want 10 bit color . Can you put us some screen of virtual cockpit view on your screen please 🧐

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

That monitor would be awesome! If the HDR implementation in Flight Simulator is good, then it will look amazing on that.

Also, the PG35VQ I think would be a solid choice. I know if I had the money this very second, I would not hesitate, it's an awesome monitor. But, since you're mainly looking for a monitor for Flight Simulator (and you're not concerned with price), may be worth waiting about a bit to see what flagships 2020 has to offer. You never know, they might fix OLED's burn in problem and next year could have some awesome HDR monitors.

Edited by suncoastflyer

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

The more I look at those monitors, the more I feel it would be a crime if such a beautiful sim can only be run on those 2D monitors, however big and detailed they are.

Time for a dimensional upgrade before it's too late. Microsoft, you have done a thousand things right, but if you only do one thing wrong, you will ruin it. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, topatov said: Can you put us some screen of virtual cockpit view on your screen please 🧐

+1 to see whether there is any deformation on both sides

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, snwboardn said:

I just got the Samsung CRG9 a week ago.....it's awesome and really is the perfect size and curve for flightsim, driving sims, etc.  I can highly recommend!

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

10 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I just got the Samsung CRG9 a week ago.....it's awesome and really is the perfect size and curve for flightsim, driving sims, etc.  I can highly recommend!

Please  share with us some pictures 🙂 

In virtual cockpit all gauges are readable with a zoom of 0.7 ? 

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

The best monitor for my purposes would be the one that I already have. That's because it was paid for years ago :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 11/18/2019 at 6:11 AM, domkle said:

+1 to see whether there is any deformation on both sides

Here is the settings I like to fly with FOV = 126

76Qh9XV.jpg

You do start to get the fisheye effect at that high of an FOV, which you can see on the copilot master alarm

Here is the same thing but FOV = 100 so that you can see it is the FOV doing it not the monitor

aVaCu2x.jpg

The ONLY negative I have is the way the monitor is shaped it was a bit tricky to get my trackIR on without the legs covering up some of the screen which you can see at the top. 

• Upvote 1

Tyson Rose

It looks  gorgeous, Tyson ! 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 11/18/2019 at 9:44 AM, Superdelphinus said:

It must be at the very last point where it’s worth buying a 20xx series card isn’t it?

I run mine on SLI 1080's, which is fine for most things but you always have the occasional thing that is screwy with it like the tfdi 717 has blinking textures and lights, which is a no go. 

Never had a problem with SLI in xplane and hoping I won't in the new MSFS either. I am not trying to have my wife murder me after buying this monitor and the honeycomb yoke. 

• Like 1

Tyson Rose

Oh perfect ! thank you very much that's what i wanted to see.  i think i will be at fov 100 but lower seat i dont need to see overhead 

• Like 1

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

13 minutes ago, topatov said:

Oh perfect ! thank you very much that's what i wanted to see.  i think i will be at fov 100 but lower seat i dont need to see overhead 

NP! Yeah I will probably adjust too... I actually wasn't planning on flight simming for awhile but I ordered the honeycomb, figured it would take a while to come in and to my surprise it came in like 2 weeks. All the new flight sim promos got me in the simming mood so the last couple of days I pretty much spent getting my xplane configured again, remembering all of the nuances of addons and the sort. Last night I finally jumped in the 737-800 and fiddled around with the FMC for 3 hours... Needless to say I am rusty. 

After looking at the two screenshots I do have to agree that 100 does look really nice though!

Edited by snwboardn

Tyson Rose