Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What GPU-related sliders in P3D will a 2080Ti allow me to amp up?

Howdy,

I am using a 6y/o GTX Titan original in a 3930K system o'clocked to 4.32Ghz hyperthreaded, in P3D v3.4.  I think my CPU may finally be degrading a bit so the end may be sooner than later.   I'm always struck by how little I can advance GPU-related sliders.  Truth be told sometimes they don't all that much visually anyway.  I'm only using a 1440x3440 screen at 30Hz vertical refresh.   I'm not using advanced driver settings either.  I can use terrain & cloud shadows out to 10K or even 60K in areas that aren't very complex (within FTX NCA/SCA) but often I find the GPU choking so have to deselect terrain and cloud shadows.   I'm curious for those people who use 2080Ti in a high end system o'clocked how much they can advance these GPU related sliders, including dynamic lighting, terrain/cloud shadows, and others I'm not remembering.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The biggest difference for me by far, was the weather. Bad weather use to crush my FPS in half.

Now with my RTX2080 I can fly in absolute horrible conditions and have very little drop in frames.

Yeah, its awesome.

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

3 hours ago, TurboKen said:

The biggest difference for me by far, was the weather. Bad weather use to crush my FPS in half.

Now with my RTX2080 I can fly in absolute horrible conditions and have very little drop in frames.

Yeah, its awesome.

Thanks Ken, that doesn't tell me too much but clearly it's better than whatever you were running which of course was assumed.  Bad weather usually doesn't do me in!  It's when things that are very GPU related for example shadow quality & distance sliders for terrain and clouds.  Those kill me quickly.  I guess if you had those enabled very far out and noticed a big improvement that kind of answers it indirectly.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

17 hours ago, Noel said:

Thanks Ken, that doesn't tell me too much but clearly it's better than whatever you were running which of course was assumed.  Bad weather usually doesn't do me in!  It's when things that are very GPU related for example shadow quality & distance sliders for terrain and clouds.  Those kill me quickly.  I guess if you had those enabled very far out and noticed a big improvement that kind of answers it indirectly.

I had a GTX970 before... but to tell you the truth I don't really know how much more I can move the sliders up, as I have not taken the time to play with maxing those things out. I just changed the cards and performed a stormy flight and had very little hit in performance. I really try and keep settings med-high as I try and maintain that 30fps minimum when I approach and land at a large payware airports and payware aircraft The 970 being a 4gig card could not handle that. Ever since I got this card I can do that and finally stopped playing with the settings and started flying the planes.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

It's kind of hard to get an answer for this question I know.  My 6 y/o GTX Titan has 6Gb of GDDR and really it's only shadows that do it in.  But alas it's 6y/o.  I just can't tell if I really 'need' to go all the way to RTX 2080Ti!

Noel

I have faced the same reality as you fellows. I recently read a review of the 2080 Super cards on Toms Hardware and he gave them very high numbers.

As I have no interest in spending 1500.00 on a new video card, I ordered one and suspect I'll be good for a while. By the way, it is RTX compatible.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

34 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I have faced the same reality as you fellows. I recently read a review of the 2080 Super cards on Toms Hardware and he gave them very high numbers.

As I have no interest in spending 1500.00 on a new video card, I ordered one and suspect I'll be good for a while. By the way, it is RTX compatible.

Sounds like 3080Ti is well worth waiting for.  As my current rig lives on I hope it last until this guy appears:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68455/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-more-vram-way-faster-cheaper/index.html

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Sounds like 3080Ti is well worth waiting for.  As my current rig lives on I hope it last until this guy appears:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68455/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-more-vram-way-faster-cheaper/index.html

Considering the "sources" of the article, I'll believe Nvidia "is reportedly set to offer its next-gen GeForce RTX 3000 serieds at cheaper prices than the current-gen GeForce RTX 2000 series" when I see it.  Having bought a number of Nvidia GPU's over the past couple decades, seeing them offer a new gen at a lower price would be a first.  Hate getting stabbed by Nvidia every time I upgrade a GPU! :angry:

Regarding your question about GPU intense settings in P3d, there's this info from none other than Beau Hollis himself.

Greg

3 hours ago, lownslo said:

Regarding your question about GPU intense settings in P3d, there's this info from none other than Beau Hollis himself.

Greg

Thank you much for that Greg I have been looking for that for a while!

Noel