Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

FSX! You've gotta love it!

I love the 27 approach to Princess Juliana! You're about 8 miles out, it's grey and rainy, and you have to lie when you report that you have the runway in sight. You head for that groove in the hills, and don't really see the runway until just before you clear the trees, then you nose down sharply with 'Don't sink', and 'Sink rate' blaring in your ears. And then, when you get to the runway you see those little cars, and realise just how big the runway is, and just how fast you are going.Thankyou ACES!Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest Tingoose

Here we have someone doing what it's all about. . . . truly enjoying himself with MS flight simulator. At these moments all the gripes and problems discuused in this forum are forgotten. Nice moments when they happen. Nice post Mike.:-)

(warning - what follows is exceptional sarcasm. Just wanted to say that up front)How were your blurries?!?!?!?!!?How were your framerates!??!??!What about the textures??!!!!!OMFGBBQLOL! You're not following FAA guidelines in the sim! How dare you put those electrons in danger! Even bigger OMFGBBQLOL! You are *enjoying* a stock FSX airplane?! What's WRONG with you man! (end annoying sarcasm mode)Good work Mike! This is what we need more of! Rather than folks dissecting the Demo 1/Fileplanet Beta/Demo 2 releases for their technical merits (or lack thereof), it's refreshing to see someone comment on the simple pleasure of the simulator, no matter what the version.When was the last time you (rhetorical question) posted to the boards about the flight you just took? Your most harrowing flight sim experience? The first flight sim experience that made you think, "Wow - I really want to visit there!"?In a small way, Mike does well to pull our collective heads out of the FPS counters and sliders and do what comes best - just fly! Irregardless of what flight sim version or brand. Nevermind which addon or scenery. Just.... fly. :) Rediscover a soupy ILS approach in a prop plane. Take an airliner on your most recent vacation (stock, addon, whichever!). Pretend you're a VIP pilot and take your boss on a trip. If you're an airline enthusiast, grab a seaplane and go fishing in Alaska. If you're a bush pilot, make the Anchorage to Seattle run in a B737. If you like your props, hop in a military jet and fly the same routes. If you already like the punch of afterburners, make a run in the Piper Cub. Reexplore your home area. Take on the task to fly to every airport in your state. Embark on an around-the-world adventure! In these times where the flight sim is so focused on some DVD's still to be shipped, don't burn out from all the technically focused conversation. Remember, keep the simming spirit fresh and take a flight. You may now return to your regularly scheduled (dual core -or- sli -or- blurries -or- addons -or- I'm keeping/I'm switching) conversation. -Greg

Guest BOPrey

"when you get to the runway you see those little cars, and realise just how big the runway is, and just how fast you are going."Now, who said these are just eye candise. The perspective in size, height, and speed is enhenced greatly with references that we encounter in our day to day lives. Great post.

Is this like the people who enjoy a simple meal at Mc Donalds poking fun at people who demand better steak at Mortons?:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

(lol)Nah - It's like enjoying your Morton's steak...-or-Trying to enjoy your Mortons steak but getting caught up in how many times it was flipped, the amount of seasoning sprinkled on, whether or not it was cooked over a dual-burner grill or a single-burner grill, and worrying if the previous version of baked potato will go with the new steak flavor, or if you'll have to upgrade to a new baked potato that more closely matches the new steak flavor. Just eat the darn cow and enjoy. ;) Cheers!-Greg

Guest Tingoose

"Is this like the people who enjoy a simple meal at Mc Donalds poking fun at people who demand better steak at Mortons?. . "Oh . . . the innocent joys of youth and then. . . . experience kicks in :-( But seriously. . . it is possible to enjoy flight simming with that childlike innocent joy, isn't it?, , when everything goes just right and you are left with an afterglow to savour,as mike describes above, until next time, when the pc crashes one minute after take off!x( . which is why I've uninstalled my bloated FS9 installation and suddenly. . . . life looks brighter:-wave

I would imagine and bet that a lot of people on the Aces Team busted their butts for three years to provide the best they could with the given time and resources available to them. I also imagine many of them spent countless late nights away from family and friends, and on their own "dime", to do the same.I too can enjoy the sim for what it is, and not get fixated on what it is not. I imagine 25 years from now those same people will be finding something to pick at and pull apart.I think Mike has a healthy attitude, and would like to join him in saying....Thankyou ACES!Bob (Las Cruces NM)

>>When was the last time you (rhetorical question) posted to the>boards about the flight you just took? IMO, we don't see enough of that. I personally really like to hear about other people's flights. Does it BORE people to hear that??Why do we rarely see that at AVSIM?RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I too agree that Mike's attitude is very healthy...for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. HOWEVER, one man's enjoyment is another man's disappointment especially in this community.For me, I am not the least interested in bush flying or flying a Cessna. I live 2 miles from 2 GA airports here in Frankfort, IL and can do that for $85 per hour wet anytime in real life...I want to fly heavies. BUT, not heavies without the extreme realism found in LDS, PMDG etc to which I have become accustomed.But wait it gets worse...I have NEVER flown from a default airport in MSFS (there I said it). I need to takeoff and land at a realistically represented airport to get my suspension of disbelief 'fix', that means that out of over 25,000 available FS airports I'll only see less than a fraction of 1% of them. You see, having flown in real life, I know most major airports like the back of my hand...I know their smell, their quirks and their look and feel and landing and/or taking off from a default airport kills it for me. As a matter of fact, more than once I've installed a new detailed airport in FS and forgot to check that it was reflected in the scenery.cfg..after flying for 10 hours I landed at a bare airport and was miserable for hours after that.Then there is the view out of the cockpit. Is what I see in FS close to what I see at altitude in real life? Blurries bother me because it doesn't look like that in real life. Low frame rates bother me so much that I've been on REAL airplanes looking out the window thinking what GREAT FRAMERATES I'm getting!! (yes I'm probably insane). Pauses, stutters, ewww, kills it for me. BUT YET, I need extremely accurately portayed AI traffic with high fidelity AI models. I've spent litterally hundred of hours replacing every airline and airplane in Ultimate Traffic.And after all the above conditions are met THEN and ONLY THEN can I enjoy and experience like Mike did. KEWR to Juliana on a COA 737-800W at the appointed real life time, with real world weather seeing exact real world traffic I would see in real life.I wish that I weren't a perfectionist. I wish I could fly without a highly accurate VC. I wish I didn't need everything just 'so' to enjoy FS. Oh how I curse this sickness and long for the days when I could fly in a freeware 2D pit and enjoy my FS...but I can't. And like many here, it is the Albatros we must all bear.Indeed, I am past ever eating at McDonalds again. WIth this sickness it is Mortons or nothing at all. Many nights I find myself starving.My name is Mike Toussaint, and I am a FSoholic.

Refreshing post Mike.We can all share that experience until we pile on all the add-ons that we had in FS9 and then......................Hundreds of post's about FPS probs, jaggies and stutters.We really are our own worst enemies really. The more you put on the harder the program becomes to run.

Dave Taylor gb.png

> Now there's a catchy slogan. :)Isn't there herds of wildlife in FSX?!"As real as it gets! Now pass the A-1 Sauce"

I can relate to that Mike.Except for my home airport where I fly out off for real... I do not like to use the default airports. Even there I have a consolation price. I have Megacity Dallas if not detailed airport.When the amazing freeware for Kai Tak came out... I was desperately looking for another airport to from. and hence my Japan sceneries came about. Yup.. I bought and built the Japan sceneries and add on airports.. all because I can fly from there into Hong Kong Kai Tak.When Lukla from Aerosoft was announced, I didn't buy it until I saw the amazing freeware airports for Nepal right here at AVSIM. I had detailed airports to fly out off. When flight scenery Portland was announced, I had Megascenery North west and Fly Tamp's KSEA airport. Now I have a zone in the north west to fly.for Flight scnery Providence airport, I have Boston and Manhatten sceneries and Shea's LaGuardia freeware.For London city airport, there is Gatwick Pro and Frankfurt.These are the only places I fly. Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter