Sign in to follow this  
Erwin06

Bad performance on P3Dv4 with rtx 2080

Hi everyone,

I post this topic because I experienced pretty bad performance in P3D with my brand new PC, this is my config :

I7 9700F, RTX 2080, 16go Ram, 256go SSD.

I am surprised because the game is at 20-25 FPS when approaching KJFK with the addons from DRZEWIECKI DESIGN, but the problem is that P3D actually use only 40% of the CPU and GPU, and 50% of the Ram (with MSI After burner).

So why P3D wouldn't use all the ressources of my PC ? 

7 minutes ago, Erwin06 said:

Hi everyone,

I post this topic because I experienced pretty bad performance in P3D with my brand new PC, this is my config :

I am surprised because the game is at 20-25 FPS when approaching KJFK with the addons from DRZEWIECKI DESIGN, but the problem is that P3D actually use only 40% of the CPU and GPU, and 50% of the Ram (with MSI After burner).

You should provide us with a lot more information about:

• OC settings?
  • P3D Settings
  • CFG Tweaks yes/no
  • ORBX products?
  • Which Planes you use?
  • (Average) CPU Usage

Based on what you wrote no usefull comments/hinds are possible

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

32 minutes ago, Erwin06 said:

but the problem is that P3D actually use only 40% of the CPU and GPU, and 50% of the Ram (with MSI After burner).

With todays thread shuffling capabilities of Windows and the multiple cores of our CPUs, the overall load of a multicore-CPU tells you nothing anymore. The only relevant read out is the GPU load, if it is at 40%, it simply tells you: you are in a very CPU-limited situation. Not really surprising for P3D, no?

Now you have two possibilities:

1. try to get more out of your CPU. Either by overclocking (which you can not with your model if I am not wrong) or by reducing CPU-heavy settings such as autogen density, autogen draw distance.

2. try to "use" this 60% overhead you now have with increasing settings that mainly put load on your GPU, such as antialiasing, higher resolution, increased cloud draw distance, increased shadow draw distance and quality etc.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

You can install P3DV4 and keep it in default mode and fly a scenario using default settings, default aircraft, and default scenery and get over 300 fps.  With your system, you should get pretty reasonable P3D settings from Lockheed with autogen and shadowing, etc., as your default settings (not everyone gets the same p3d.cfg default settings as it is based on your system).  Then you install an add-on like DD New York Airports and the same scenario will cause your fps to drop to below 100.  What's up with that?  And, if you install even more add-ons like a resource intensive aircraft add-on, the fps will get even worse.  So your title is totally misleading as it is an add-on you have installed and not P3DV4 (unless you moved all your sliders to the right). P3D is like FSX and uses the CPU for running the sim.  The GPU simply renders the textures just like it renders things for any other software.  The better the GPU, the better the rendering and performance. Microsoft and Lockheed did not program P3D/FSX to properly use the GPU. If you have an add-on that does not give you the performance you want, then get rid of it and stay with the default P3D.  Or, if you know what add-on is causing your issue, go to that developer and ask how to get better performance.  They should be required to tell you how they tested their product.  Was it with the default settings of P3D?  With an i7 2600K or was it with an i7 9700F? With no other add-ons like photoscenery or fancy PMDG aircraft?  What exactly was the performance?  If the fps or performance is above 30, then that should be acceptable.  There is no magic wand out there that will give you great performance and this includes overclocking or having the best hardware available (although it will help) and one needs to accept this fact.  I have and live with 40-60 fps (sometimes up to 80) with a lot of add-ons, aircraft and scenery and I'm really enjoying my flights.  I might get 20-25 fps occasionally when I fly around NYC because DD products have photoscenery and photoscenery really takes up a lot of resources, with fps even in the teens but it does not affect my enjoyment of using P3Dv4 as I have yet to see a slide show.  But then my i7 8086K is a little faster and better in performance that an i7 9700F - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700F-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8086K/m816132vsm516988.

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for your answers. I'm sorry I didn't respond as fast as you did but here I am. I will send you my P3D settings when I'll be home.

I'm using the PMDG 777, with no Orbx product. I think I wasn't cleared enough on the informations that I gave you and I'm sorry for that : P3D uses only 40% of my GPU AND 40% of my CPU.

That's why I'm surprised, why P3D doesn't uses 90% or 99% of my CPU (same for the GPU) ?

I'm always a bit surprised at how many folks here claim poor performance in FSX and P3D with very capable hardware.

I have a mediocre system: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz, GTX 970 video card, 16GB 2400MHz memory, and 512GB dedicated SSD for flightsim.  My performance was decent with FSX:SE, but it is actually much better with P3Dv4.  I'm getting an average frame rate of ~40 in most areas, and ~20-30 in congested areas with lots of autogen.  There is a bit of stuttering at times but it is minimal and doesn't ruin the experience.

I think that the solution for most is to simply reduce the graphics settings a bit to a more reasonable level.  I'm using 4xSSAA anti-aliasing instead of 8X, for example.  I also don't use dynamic lighting which is really cool but also very costly in terms of processing resources.  Most of my sliders are at medium or high, not ultra.

You have to experiment a bit to find the sweet spot, but you cannot expect to run everything at max settings no matter what hardware you have.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

53 minutes ago, Erwin06 said:

That's why I'm surprised, why P3D doesn't uses 90% or 99% of my CPU (same for the GPU) ?

It should be between 93-99% on loading the scenario and when you takeoff (not just sitting at a gate and on the runway getting ready to takeoff).  I think it is normal to be at 40% while the sim is on idle.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Read on from there. I have outlined how to set up with success....

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

5 hours ago, Erwin06 said:

Hi everyone,

Like Jim said, the 40% is misleading as it reports you the average load over all cores. P3Dv4 predominantly uses core0, so it's better to look at the individual performances of the different cores. Then you'll see that P3Dv4 uses Core0 at high capacity, while using the others much less, if at all. To enhance this, the best thing to do is to overclock your CPU. I don't think your CPU can be overclocked, though, as usually, only CPU's whose model# ends with a K (e.g. 9700k) can be overclocked. That said, I'm not familiar with your CPU model, so some Googling should be able to tell you easily whether you can overclock your CPU, and if so, you should certainly do it, assuming you have a potent CPU cooler. I'm getting pretty decent performance on my much more humble computer despite being somewhat uncompromising on the graphics settings. As en example, I overclocked my i5 from (if I remember correctly) a base clock of 3.6GHGz to 4.8GHz, which was a good boost to performance. On approach to KJFK my FPS tends to be 16-20. I believe you should be able to get more out of your rig then a max of 25FPS in that scenario.

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

DD KJFK is brutal and 20-30 FPS is actually good for that scenery. I’ve actually disabled that one LGA and EWR aren’t bad but the terminal scenery at JFK just drains performance.

Edited by JasonPC

I activated the Vsync, manipulated some parameters but no change for the FPS. 

As Benjamin J said, P3D uses at 99% the first core of the CPU. Let's hope it won't be the same for the next FS in 2020. 

I uninstalled the addon of KJFK, it's a lot better so I'm going to keep it like this, because for now I don't want to overlock my CPU and like you said it's not really possible. 

Thanks again for your answers, it's good to have a community like this one.👍

Edited by Erwin06
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

don't think your CPU can be overclocked, though, as usually, only CPU's whose model# ends with a K (e.g. 9700k) can be overclocked.

Can't be overclock but can take advantage of Intel Turbo Boost Technology.  This is usually done in the BIOS by saving the BIOS for Optimal default settings.  Turbo speed will advance to 4.7GHz.

Submit News to AVSIM

43 minutes ago, Erwin06 said:

I activated the Vsync, manipulated some parameters but no change for the FPS. 

As Benjamin J said, P3D uses at 99% the first core of the CPU. Let's hope it won't be the same for the next FS in 2020. 

I uninstalled the addon of KJFK, it's a lot better so I'm going to keep it like this, because for now I don't want to overlock my CPU and like you said it's not really possible. 

Thanks again for your answers, it's good to have a community like this one.👍

You're welcome! I do hope DD one day go back to NYC and update their sceneries. In my experience, their mroe recent releases have been a lot mroe performance friendly, so whatever it is they did differently there, I hope they go back and implement it in NYC.

6 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Can't be overclock but can take advantage of Intel Turbo Boost Technology.  This is usually done in the BIOS by saving the BIOS for Optimal default settings.  Turbo speed will advance to 4.7GHz.

Thanks for looking it up, Jim!

1 hour ago, JasonPC said:

DD KJFK is brutal and 20-30 FPS is actually good for that scenery. I’ve actually disabled that one LGA and EWR aren’t bad but the terminal scenery at JFK just drains performance.

Do you have any idea what specifically drains performance at their KJFK? It's a little surprising to me as the terminals are not particularly detailed and the textures are rather generic and seemingly not very high resolution. This is especially true for LGA, and also EWR isn't that great.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

7 hours ago, Erwin06 said:

Hi everyone,

What monitor resolution are you at?  1080P....maybe fps a tad low...but if that number is with weather and the DD addon...normal-ish.  

If this is 4K results then you're doing well!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |