Sign in to follow this  
Hammer308

Question regarding FSX Re-install

I recently re-installed FSX on a new computer with Windows 10 64bit. Although it took several more hours than my previous install 2 1/2 yrs ago on a computer with Win7, it seemed to go reasonably well.

However, I did have an issue that never happened to me before this. The install never gave me any prompt to enter my Product ID #'s. Also, it did not allow me to install the Acceleration Pack (again due to not being able to enter the ID #'s). I was able to change the Settings and fly for a 1/2 hour demo, but I can't do anything anymore.

I did get an Activation Error msg regarding a possible incomplete installation. If I attempt a re-install again, will it screw anything up? I don't want to ruin any chance of not being able to install it again.

I DO NOT have an active internet connection where I live, so I am not able to register anything online if needed. I know for a fact that I DO have valid Product ID #'s to use. I got them directly from Microsoft Tech Support during my last install 2 1/2 yrs ago & Microsoft assured me that I could use them for "ANY" future install if I needed to. I realize Microsoft is supposedly not supporting FSX any more, but if there is an issue with the ID #'s, I will be contacting Microsoft again !

BTW - everything worked just fine with Win 7. The only reason I updated to Win 10 was that I was having hardware issues, and I heard that Microsoft was going to be stopping support for Win7 in the near future.

I really want to get FSX running again.

Any help or advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Sometimes the error messages get hidden behind your FSX installation window and you do not see it.  Here's the solution for installing FSX - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928080/error-1722-when-reinstalling-flight-simulator-x.  What I did, when I got this error and took the actions in the link, was to run a "Repair" install.  Once completed, you need to start up FSX and enter your Activation Code.  The Activation Center at Microsoft still works.  Once activated, then installation of Acceleration Pack should go smoothly but FSX MUST be activated before you can install Acceleration.  Acceleration installs SP1 so no need to install it.  SP2 is Acceleration so do not install SP2.  It really is complicated as I know computers and how to install things but reinstalling FSX/Acceleration (boxed version) is one heck of a chore.  If you have no success, recommend you install FSX-SE (believe it is only $25).  It includes Acceleration.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanx for the reply & info. Will try the suggestion & see what happens.

As far as FSX-SE, again I do not have active internet where I live, so I assume SE is not an option. Is this correct?

Plz let me know.

FSX-SE is available only as a download so may not be a good choice for your situation.  You must be in a very rural community!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

As usual, Charlie is correct again!  But, you were able to post your topic here at AVSIM and that requires an active connection.  You will need an active connection when you try to activate so, if you are posting via a neighbor's house, you'll have to take your desktop/laptop there during the activation process.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

I tried your earlier suggestion. I downloaded & extracted the mskb928080 file that was mentioned. There were 2 files in the extraction. One was a eula text document, and the other is a "resetsldl" file.I opened that file & nothing happened. I went to the Command Prompt and the first line was c:\users\16076, which was different than what was given in the earlier error 1722 instructions that were mentioned. Since I'm not too familiar when dealing with command prompt procedures, I didn't want to go any further. So if I could get some precise instructions on what to type and when, that would be very helpful. I did try to do a "repair" install, and only got to install the initial 2 discs as before. Still no way to "activate" FSX.

Also, to clarify something, I do not have internet where I live. I have to use the library wifi, which is about a mile from where I live. Since I can't always get there, that's why there is always a delay in my responses. Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope ppl can understand.

Plz let me know & I'll try at my earliest opportunity.

Thanx again.

15 minutes ago, Hammer308 said:

One was a eula text document, and the other is a "resetsldl" file.I opened that file & nothing happened.

Resetsldl can only be executed via an "elevated" (Admin Privileges) Command Prompt.  In addition, you need to go into the Registry first -

Submit News to AVSIM

One of the things I don't understand is why I'm not getting any error messages. The only thing that comes up is that I have to "activate FSX".

Why isn't it getting to that point? It always has in the past. I've never had this problem before. It seems like it would be pretty basic during the install process.

Or am I missing something. If it wasn't for this, everything would be fine.

Its extremely frustrating.

1 hour ago, Hammer308 said:

The only thing that comes up is that I have to "activate FSX".

If that is the message you are getting, then run FSX.  The activation screen will come up when you do that.  Once activated you can install Acceleration.

Submit News to AVSIM

Deleted 'cause I see Jim already gave the information............

Edited by W2DR
I can't read.............

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

It seems to me that you are not getting an error message because there is no error. FSX only wants to be activated. 

1. take your computer to a place that has internet. Or...

2. If you have a land line telephone, you might be able to buy some kind on modem or adapter to get the old school dial-up access to the internet. Though I can't say I know that's possible anymore.

3. if there is cell service where you live (kind of sounds like there isn't) have a friend over that has a cellphone and use it as a hot spot to get on the internet.

In any event, you need to get on the internet.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

2 yrs ago when I got a new computer & updated to win 7, all I had to do was call Microsoft and they gave me new Product ID #'s to activate FSX, no internet needed. The problem this time is that no matter what I do, I cannot even get the screen to enter the ID #'s to even show up! For what its worth, here's an update as far as what I've tried : to date, I've tried (2) complete re-installs, a "repair" install, (2) compatibility tests using both Vista & Win7, tried a regedit change with PartMgr that was mentioned in a post I checked, have tried other suggestions mentioned. Also, along with being able to do multiple 30 min demo flights with the re-install on my new computer, I even have FSX (with the Accel Pack & all the original files) backed up on a completely different HD, and am able to do multiple 30 min demo flights with that. All this with no luck. I still can't get the activation to come up no matter what I do. Now, I'm getting an Activation Error code 8-c0000006 !!! No idea what that is. Never came up before. Am gonna see what I can find about that one. Everything works fine except that the Activation screen will not show up. I can't enter #'s if there's no place to put them. I'm at my wits end. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I am very grateful for all the help so far. The only other thing I can think of is call Microsoft Tech Support, or buying FSX Gold again and hope I don't run into the same issues. None of this happened with Win7. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this. I really have to get FSX working again.

2 yrs ago when I got a new computer & updated to win 7, all I had to do was call Microsoft and they gave me new Product ID #'s to activate FSX, no internet needed.

The activation screen only shows when you start FSX for the first time.

Here are the results of getting the Activation Error code - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Error+code+8-c0000006

or buying FSX Gold again and hope I don't run into the same issues

FSX Gold edition installs FSX and Acceleration.  That is not the same as FSX Deluxe where you install FSX only.  I would suspect you have one activation code for both FSX and Acceleration.

None of this happened with Win7. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this.

Believe you can right click on the Setup.exe on the disk and select Properties and then Compatibility Tab and then select run as Windows 7.  There should be absolutely no difference between Windows 7 or Windows 10 as thousands have installed FSX with Windows 10 (me included). 

Submit News to AVSIM

2 hours ago, Hammer308 said:

2 yrs ago when I got a new computer & updated to win 7, all I had to do was call Microsoft and they gave me new Product ID #'s to activate FSX,

Why did you need new ID #'s? Unless you forgot it, I suppose. Even so, doesn't Microsoft need to check that what ever number you use is indeed valid?

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Sorry for not getting back to anyone sooner. Wasn't able to get online before now.

I have tried everything that has been mentioned multiple times, and still no luck.

I even spent almost an hour on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support. After explaining my situation and telling them everything I've tried, they at first tried telling me that FSX was not compatible with Win10 (until of course I told them that I was able to install & fly the demo flights), not to mention telling them that I knew others were flying with Win10 without any problems. They finally decided to send me some links via email to fixes that they "promised" me would work. I just looked at them, it turns out that they're the same links and fixes that have been suggested here (which I have already tried). I haven't called them yet to them they didn't work. I can't wait to hear what they say.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is maybe some files on the disc(s) got corrupted somehow, or maybe I should buy another copy of FSX Gold & hope I don't have the some issues.

I just wish I could get this solved. I can't believe a simple activation can be this problematic.