Sign in to follow this  
Hammer308

Question regarding FSX Re-install

3 hours ago, Hammer308 said:

until of course I told them that I was able to install & fly the demo flights

There is no demo version that comes with FSX.  I mean, why buy the full product only to use a demo to see if you like it before you buy it.  You can download and install a very limited demo version for free - https://download.cnet.com/Flight-Simulator-X-demo/3000-2115_4-10570927.html.  The demo version has 2 airports, 2 missions, and 3 aircraft.

If you purchase and install FSX Deluxe or FSX Gold Edition, there is a Kiosk mode where retailers could turn on at stores to show off what the simulator looks like.  Individuals also had the opportunity to run several missions if the retailer also had it setup with a throttle.

In order to be able to run in Kiosk mode, you must install FSX and run FSX one time to generate indexes.  You have done this according to your posts.

Try deleting your fsx.cfg or rename it to fsx.off.  Restart FSX and you should see the terms for using FSX.  Click okay and the Activation screen should appear.  You will need to be at an active Internet connection to activate.  Follow the directions for activation.  If this does not work, delete or rename FSX.cfg again and try again.  It sounds like FSX Gold is properly installed.  You just need to activate.

The FSX.cfg folder is hidden.  Here are the steps to view hidden files and folders (astaken from the AVSIM CTD Guide):

Hidden System Folders-Some actions below require opening/moving hidden files located in hidden system folders. Not to worry, this is not all that complicated. To learn how to show hidden files in your operating system, go to your Windows Search feature and type in Show Hidden Files, then look up in the menu and click on Show Hidden Files and Folders (this works with all Operating Systems) Once you have “Folder Options” open, click on the “View” tab and you will see the following:

HiddenFolders.PNG.348b672f8e842a503688d7ca89ccc8b4.PNG

Simply click on Show hidden files, folders, and drives and click OK. Now that you can see hidden files and folders,here are the locations of the files you will need to view:

😄\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sorry I haven't checked back recently. Been bzy.

I never said there was a demo version, what I meant by demo, is the 30 minute flight it will let you do before you have to activate before being able to fly normally.

I already knew about the hidden folders.

Also, I've been saying all along that FSX installed Ok & that I just can't get to the activation screen. A Microsoft Tech Support Rep even tried helping, with no luck. They suggested I either go to FSX Steam support or Dovetail. Not sure if I should tho. Any thoughts about that? Let me kno.

I still can't believe that something that seems this simple, can be this difficult to fix! What did anyone else have to do when changing FSX from Win7 to Win10? I've even thought of going back to Win7, then trying to re-install FSX, and if that works, then re-installing Win10. That's how desperate I'm getting to get this fixed!!!

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to activate. If I can't get it to work again, I'm probably going to have to switch to either XPlane 11, or P3d. Not sure if that's an option tho.

7 hours ago, Hammer308 said:

I never said there was a demo version, what I meant by demo, is the 30 minute flight it will let you do before you have to activate before being able to fly normally.

I have never heard of a 30 minute flight before activating.  When you first start up FSX for the first time, it will show an activation screen.  You have to activate it or you will not be allowed to use the software and will have to uninstall it. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

All the times I've re-installed FSX to try to get this fixed, I've been able to choose an aircraft, go to an airport, then fly a 30 minute flight. After the 30 minutes is up, it stops the flight and then says I have to activate to continue. So far I've logged about 2 1/2 hours. I really wish I could get someone to call me, so I could explain what I've been going through during all this. Maybe it would be easier and faster to sort this out. I am willing to give someone my phone # if that's a possibility.

Sorry, probably a fat chance for a phone number.  So, you have the 2 disc version of FSX Deluxe and when you installed it, you never got the screen for activation?  Let me look for the reset activation doohickey,  Back in a flash!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928080

For Acceleration activation see my post in this topic:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I have FSX Gold. Whenever I go into the game, a box comes up that says "Product Activation Error. An error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the product. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise, please contact product support for assistance." 

After I close out that msg screen, I can go into the game and fly. I just can't fly for more than a half hour at a time.

1. Of course there is an activation error - the activation screen won't show up, so I cant activate it!

2. Reinstalling the application (by which I assume they mean FSX) hasn't worked either. I've tried reinstalling FSX at least 6 times. BTW - I even bought another copy of FSX on amazon (was thinking maybe my original copy got corrupted somehow), and have had the same problems when installing that one too!

3. I can't go to product support, Microsoft says the can't help anymore. They suggested Microsoft Steam support or Dovetail.

So what's left?  This is crazy. All I need to do is get this activated and then everything is fine.

Did you see the pinned topic at the top of this forum?

Submit News to AVSIM

There are 2 activation's you need to accomplish.  The first one after installing the first 2 discs.  You need to use the reset activation, which is my first link.  You then need to activate Acceleration and that was the second part that I linked.  Reinstalling everything ain't gonna do it!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I realize I have to activate after the first 2 discs. I'm not new to this. I've had FSX since I was using Win XP (with none of these problems).

That's what I'm trying to do in the first place and can't !

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not getting any specific error codes. Just the activation error msg. I stated earlier.

Plus, I've already tried what was mentioned in the earlier link (several times), and it won't work! 

So far, everything that has been mentioned as a fix for this hasn't worked. That's why I'm getting so frustrated.

I have been around for years too and upgraded to my current system earlier this year and then had to reset Windows 10 as I was having issues.  So, when I finally reinstalled FSX, it took me several hours (I think 4) before I discovered that I had to reset my activation as shown in the pinned topic in this forum.  I thought for sure I would never get it reactivated or it would not be reactivated because Microsoft might have closed their activation center, but the Microsoft reactivation center will always be there as it is used to activate other products too.  So, if you have the proper key, it will activate.  If it indicates you have used up all of your activations for your machine (this msg could be hidden behind the installation window), then that will be it.  You will have to buy FSX-SE or, better yet, the upgrade to FSX called Prepar3D.  I do not believe you can buy the FSX package anymore.

Also make sure you go to the directory where the FSX Disk 1 is located and right click on setup.exe and run it as an Administrator.  Windows 10, for some reason, wants this to run as an administrator.  Also, reinstall outside of C:\Program Files (X86).  I have mine installed at G:/FSX.

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Sorry I haven't got back to anyone lately. Been bzy with the holidays.

Still no luck getting FSX to activate. Am thinking about possibly retiring my FSX & maybe going to either P3D or XPlane 11.

Here's my current system : Win10 Home/64bit, i7 8700 6-core chip, MSI MPG Z390 Gaming edge mobo, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4Gb Vcard, 16Gb Corsair "Vengeance LPX" DDR4/2666 RAM, West. Dig. 250Gb SSD, West. Dig. 1Tb HD, plus 2 other HD's from my old sys.

Am wondering what I can expect regarding settings & framerates using this sys. with either P3d or Xplane. 

Absolutely no problems with P3Dv4!  I suspect X-Plane will have no issues too. 

I have FSX (boxed) installed but, if I ever run into issues with it again, it will be gone  MSFS2020, to be released sometime this year, will replace FSX (boxed).

Submit News to AVSIM

Heard FS2020 was coming soon. Any idea when, and what system specs will be needed to run it? Haven't been able to find out. Really want to get flying again, but prolly wont be able to afford both P3d & FS2020.

Speaking of P3d, I have lots of addon A/c in my FSX, mainly from TDS, Posky & Camsim, that I downloaded from Simviation. A lot of them say they are FSX/P3d compatible. If I switched to P3d, would I be able to just copy & paste them into the applicable P3d folders? I've done a search regarding this & there seems to be a little confusion on this issue.

Any thoughts?

Any idea when, and what system specs will be needed to run it? Haven't been able to find out. Really want to get flying again, but prolly wont be able to afford both P3d & FS2020.

You should monitor the AVSIM Microsoft Flight Simulator forum.  No one really knows but I heard from a developer somewhere that it will run better than P3D and FSX even in computers with lower power.  You might find a discussion about this in the MS Flight Sim Forum.

Current projection for release is Nov 2020.

Speaking of P3d, I have lots of addon A/c in my FSX, mainly from TDS, Posky & Camsim, that I downloaded from Simviation. A lot of them say they are FSX/P3d compatible. If I switched to P3d, would I be able to just copy & paste them into the applicable P3d folders? I've done a search regarding this & there seems to be a little confusion on this issue.

P3DV3 and earlier are 32-bit applications and you would have a good chance of running old stuff there.  P3Dv4 is a 64-bit app and you may run into issues with textures not compatible.

Submit News to AVSIM