Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

Purchasing a i9-9900K - Water Cooler or Air Cooler?

1 minute ago, rjfry said:

Even Silicon Lottery cannot supply a CPU that will run all cores at 5.3.  

I'm not talking about the cleverly-named company "Silicon Lottery", but the prinicple called the "silicon lottery", the source of the company's name.  The principle states that variability in the manufacturing process will create variability in resultant microprocessor "quality", observed as the maximum obtainable clockspeed achieved via overclocking.  

"Silicon Lottery" may not be able to sell you a 5.3GHz 9900ks, that doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means that the voltage necessary to achieve these speeds is too high for them to supply a warranty along with such a chip.  Afterall, that is their business model - guaranteed overclocks for CPUs that still have a warranty.  

i would like to thank everyone for their comments.  A few thoughts from me:

1.  I have no plans to overclock beyond what the MB software normally allows on pre-sets.  I'm not much of a tinkerer or geek.  I overclock my 2600k Sandy Bridge using the ASUS software and BIOS only. 

2.  I'm not necessarily looking for peak performance right off the bat.  My 2600k Sandy Bridge is OC to 4.1 GHz.  It runs cool and stable during normal ops, but when I run P3D, I get the BSOD with WHEA hardware error.  I'm still chasing that one down, but given the computer's age and the pending MSFS 2020 release, it's time to upgrade.  

3. I chose the 9900K to have overhead for the future.  Yeah, it's overkill today.  But then again, I haven't replaced my computer in 8.5 years!  Only a video card replacement.  That as money well spend in 2011 when NGX first came out. 

I use a Noctura DH14 in my computer now. The DH 15 is the replacement (Newegg $89).  The Corsair H1154i PRO is on sale $139.00, and $124 after a rebate card at Newegg.  That's only $35 difference.  I am wondering which cooler would give the best performance, longevity, and safety for a 9900K system? 

Thanks!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

1.  I have no plans to overclock beyond what the MB software normally allows on pre-sets.  I'm not much of a tinkerer or geek.  I overclock my 2600k Sandy Bridge using the ASUS software and BIOS only. 

2.  I'm not necessarily looking for peak performance right off the bat.  My 2600k Sandy Bridge is OC to 4.1 GHz.  It runs cool and stable during normal ops, but when I run P3D, I get the BSOD with WHEA hardware error.  I'm still chasing that one down, but given the computer's age and the pending MSFS 2020 release, it's time to upgrade.  

3. I chose the 9900K to have overhead for the future.  Yeah, it's overkill today.  But then again, I haven't replaced my computer in 8.5 years!  Only a video card replacement.  That as money well spend in 2011 when NGX first came out. 

I use a Noctura DH14 in my computer now. The DH 15 is the replacement (Newegg $89).  The Corsair H1154i PRO is on sale $139.00, and $124 after a rebate card at Newegg.  That's only $35 difference.  I am wondering which cooler would give the best performance, longevity, and safety for a 9900K system? 

Thanks!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Thanks!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

3 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I've had 2 leaks in over 10 years and both were due to the use of acrylic material.  Neither leak caused any component damage.  I no longer use acrylic parts and haven't had a leak in 5+ years since.  If you're worried about leaks, all of the all-in-one water-cooling solutions cover leaks in their warranty.  If their product leaks and kills your components, they will replace your components.

BTW, disabling HT has turned your chip into a 9700k, and also dropped 10C off your peak temps.  Saying you get 5.2GHz without HT @ 80C in stress tests is equivalent to 90C if you didn't gimp your chip.  If you spent the extra $50 or so on water cooling you could re-enable HT and get the full benefit of the $150 costlier 9900k vs. the 9700k.  

9900k L3 cache 16Mb. 9700k 12Mb. Also many posts (and my own experience) suggest HT off for P3D. 

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

ARGH...sorry about the multiple replies.... Don't know what happened.

It's why I don't tinker! 😉

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

2 hours ago, richjb2 said:

The Corsair H1154i PRO is on sale $139.00

I assume you mean the H150i? I don't see it for $139 but if I was going to go with water I get the H150i. A custom loop is pricey. Several years ago I did a custom Koolance system. it was great but the pump/reservoir leaked. No system damage but I decommissioned the system and sold all the parts anyway. Based on your post above re tinkering you might want to keep it simple and with the H150i you will have no problems with cooling fins getting in the way of DRAM slot. Just make sure you have room in case for the radiator and the fan. Although I'd be inclined to put it outside the case.

Edited by Avidean

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

AMD's 3950X is probably the best "Bang for buck" CPU and seems to have good OC potential ... release Nov 25th ... it would also make a very good video editing platform.  It's single core performance is very very very close to 9900KS.

Cheers, Rob.

Don't we still favour Intel CPU's over AMD and Nvidia GPU's over ATI for FSX/P3D?

11 hours ago, rjfry said:

You should drop Linus Tech a line he can`t do 5.2ghz stable on all cores without throttling and Der8auer and Gamers Nexus can`t and 8Pack.    

Yup. Made it all up....

• Upvote 1

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Here is a 5.4ghz R20 with 1.36V 9900K think its gone be hard to find a better KS

R20 5.4ghz

with chiller 10C water temp you gain 100mhz 

R20 5.5ghz

Edited by westman

15 hours ago, Avidean said:

I assume you mean the H150i? I don't see it for $139 but if I was going to go with water I get the H150i. A custom loop is pricey. Several years ago I did a custom Koolance system. it was great but the pump/reservoir leaked. No system damage but I decommissioned the system and sold all the parts anyway. Based on your post above re tinkering you might want to keep it simple and with the H150i you will have no problems with cooling fins getting in the way of DRAM slot. Just make sure you have room in case for the radiator and the fan. Although I'd be inclined to put it outside the case.

Here's the cooler:

Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO RGB, 280mm. Dual 140mm ML PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting & Fan Control w/ Software. Liquid CPU Cooler. CW-9060032-WW. Support: Intel 2066, AMD AM4

Rich 

• Like 1

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

1 hour ago, richjb2 said:

Here's the cooler:

Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO RGB, 280mm. Dual 140mm ML PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting & Fan Control w/ Software. Liquid CPU Cooler. CW-9060032-WW. Support: Intel 2066, AMD AM4

Rich 

Sure that looks good.