Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

MB Options - ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E or GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIF

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at two MB choices for a i9900K purchase:

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119151

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145091?Item=N82E16813145091

I have an ASUS MB in the past and have had good luck with them.  However, I'm seeing a trend in ASUS MBs that I do not like, especially from comments on line. 

Another possible option is this one:

GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145110?Item=N82E16813145110

Your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I just upgraded to the Gigabyte last week.  Build went great and so far am loving this board.  Paired it with an I5=9600k and everything is smooth as glass.

Edited by diajohn

4 hours ago, diajohn said:

I just upgraded to the Gigabyte last week.  Build went great and so far am loving this board.  Paired it with an I5=9600k and everything is smooth as glass.

Interesting, I did the same upgrade last week plus 32gb Ram and a RTX 2060 Super. I'm still installing my addons and didn't had a chance to test it. I'm quite excited with my new rig! :happy:

I only used 16 GB of ram with an eye to adding another 16 if the new MS2020 needs it.  I also kept my GTX 1060 6GB for now.

In P3D latest version, I am using most ORBX stuff, ProATC, Ultimate Traffic Live, Navigraph Charts, Active Sky and a few other things.

Flying the PMDG 744 in the USA, I locked my FPS at 30 and the sim is butter smooth, even in heavy overcast or storms.  I have also tested the QW 787, and the PMDG 737NXu with great results.  I have not oveclocked anything yet.

John

s

If you are into overclocking (which you are with a 9900k), then the Gigabyte is the best. The power provision of this board is superior to any other mobo, and you need a stable power supply to the CPU for overclocking.

I have the Gigabyte (without the wifi) and am very pleased with it.

René Moelaert

PMDG 744 Tech Team

On 11/19/2019 at 6:50 AM, diajohn said:

I only used 16 GB of ram with an eye to adding another 16 if the new MS2020 needs it.  I also kept my GTX 1060 6GB for now.

If you have any intent of reusing your existing 16 Gb of RAM if you upgrade to 32, you may want to buy the additional RAM now. You need to have exactly matched modules or your RAM will run at the slowest module speed and timings. Take it from one that has been burned twice on this -- going from 4 to 8 and then on a different PC 8 to 16. I was using Mushkin RAM and they seem to change offerings every 6 months or so and was told by tech support that there were no matching modules. I did just see 32 Gb at Newegg for $139 (but didn't look at what timings, etc it was).

Best of luck!

P. 

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

thanks PDGE,

I'm replacing the RAM.  All new. 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I have the GIGABYTE board and can recommend it as it was designed from the ground up for overclocking. Lots of fan headers, LED lighting and on board lighting controllers if you are in to that stuff. 

I "only" run a 9600k but have no problems up to a 5.1 o/c. Unfortunately @ 5.2 I hit a wall. My only complaint is the fan user interface is much better on the ASUS.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 11/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, diajohn said:

In P3D latest version, I am using most ORBX stuff, ProATC, Ultimate Traffic Live, Navigraph Charts, Active Sky and a few other things.

Flying the PMDG 744 in the USA, I locked my FPS at 30 and the sim is butter smooth, even in heavy overcast or storms.  I have also tested the QW 787, and the PMDG 737NXu with great results.  I have not oveclocked anything yet.

John

John, can you share your P3D settings, please?

13 hours ago, pedrotrindade said:

John, can you share your P3D settings, please?

Anything specific?  I do run at 1920x1080 as that is important when it comes to frames and smoothness.  Most setting are mid to mid-high as my interest is more in the aircraft with scenery as background. As a personal preference I turned off autogen buildings as they are just ugly and don't add anything for tube flying.

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Yeah I've got the same 1920x1080 but I fly a lot of GA aircrafts low and slow so the scenery is important for my flights. I'm still in the process of installing my addons now. No performance problems yet but at some point I'll have to manage my settings in order to keep a smooth performance. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers