Sign in to follow this  
MD83

OT: What DX10 (& quad core) is capable off

Guest Bottle

OK, this is not a flight sim & the camera work is not the best, but look at the quality of the water, lighting, instancing of trees, handling of physics (the tornado), etc. and we start to get an idea of the power of DX10;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetnKgOxrSI

I'm sold. Even a watered down, generic version in FS would be stunning. Just imagine what payware will be like for a small region.Ian.

Guest Thad

Incredible!!! Wow!!! Great find!Not sure how much of a role the quad-core played in the rendering but from that footage it looks like the FSX DX10 screenshots are a real possibilty with the DX10 update. I can't wait to get my hands on that update and I just picked up FSX yesterday. Oh well DX9 will have to suffice until that day comes. :-)-Thad

Guest emkramer

SHUT. UP. I literally crapped my pants.Earl

Guest tango_d

:-spacecraft Nuff said - incredible stuffRgsEd

Yeah, and just imagine how many more months of photographing it's going to take to produce an add-on at that level.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Love the footage!!!But it's not DX10... (Or the Geforce 7900GTX is suddenly a DX10 card)"Nothing is certain about the specifications but you will need Windows Vista and a fairly high spec PC. Remedy have showcased Alan Wake running smoothly on an Intel Core 2 Quad system overclocked at 3.73Ghz with GeForce 7900GTX." From: http://www.brightfalls.com/alan-wake-faq/It appears to be full on DX9 reinforced by a game designed from the ground up to take advantage of multi-core systems, demonstrated on an OVERCLOCKED Intel Core Quad processor system. Running at 3.73ghz, that amounts to 14.8 ghz of processing power to give you those images. Given the more linear nature of MSFS's processing structure, I have doubts that we'll see this type of environment, even in a DX10 world. Note also that the demo is using one of FOUR 3.73 ghz processors for physics only. Also note, this graphics engine is only capable of short-distance views - not suitable for our flight simulation needs. "Currently 2 kilometres. Markus Maki informed MercuryNews that you can see 1.3 miles as of the September demonstration." From: http://www.brightfalls.com/alan-wake-faq/Did someone ask for Debbie Downer?! (waaaaah. waoooooooooooo...)Here's the REST of the story... (Same video as above, except with the lead-in by the Intel and game developer)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEBOn9K5Nk-Greg

Guest Babubhai

"Intel Core Quad processor system. Running at 3.73ghz, that amounts to 14.8 ghz of processing power to give you those images."Actually it doesn't. Alot of people think this but its actually not a total of 14.8ghz. It's still only a total 3.73ghz power.The advantage of dual core is not the raw processing power but you can handle many processes at the same time, and more effecient allocation of processes.

Indeed, that's DX9 in all it's glory. And you're right, we'll never see anything like that in FSX. Sure looks good though...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>"Intel Core Quad processor system. Running at 3.73ghz, that>amounts to 14.8 ghz of processing power to give you those>images.">>Actually it doesn't. Alot of people think this but its>actually not a total of 14.8ghz. It's still only a total>3.73ghz power.>>The advantage of dual core is not the raw processing power but>you can handle many processes at the same time, and more>effecient allocation of processes.>>Yes it is the total theoretical processing power assuming that applications are truly mutlithreaded.You could run four distinct processes, each on one core at 3.73GHz - combined, that is 14.8Ghz of processing power being undertaken.

Guest Babubhai

Multiple CPUs are not additive. 4 3.73Ghz cores don't equal one 14.8ghz CPU.I don't know where some of you are getting this info from.I'll give you lot an example, a silly example but you will get my point.1 car travels at 100mph,Having 2 cars wont make any difference to the speed of the car, but 2 cars will allow you to carry twice as many passengers. Get the analogy?Remember multiple CPUs are not additive. The total power cannot be added up.If you dont believe me go and do some research and come back....

Guest drdaru1

you wish microsoft cared that much about what we think to make our (now) game look like that.

Brilliant. Excuse me while I give myself CPR.ps loved the ending.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I think the most important thing is that's what Alan Wake and Crysis and Unreal Engine 3 look like on DX9.Imagine a few years from now when they really start pushing what DX10 can do. I can show you a few DX9 games that look like crap today, but that we thought were the best thing ever back then.As always, we've seen nothing yet.