Sign in to follow this  
MD83

OT: What DX10 (& quad core) is capable off

Guest allcott

Well, if you want to show us these shots as an example of where MS might go next, then thats different. The fact is, none of what we see in this video has any relevance for FSX. Pretty pictures are always pretty pictures, but I don't see any evidence from the video that the game engine has anything to teach MS about how to make a flight sim. On the other hand perhaps it does show how conservative ACES have been in FSX because they had to offer that awful retro-compatibility with the previous version feature. Without that, we could be looking at a sim like that, right now. And that's our fault, not Microsofts. Allcott

Guest tcable

I saw this early this week. So far the ony game that I've ever heard of that uses 4 cores- and 4 major threads concurrently. Unlike FSX and the texture preload thread, maybe some others. I think that the future is in distributed processing- multithreading of everyting that you can- audio, rendering(essentially multithreaded in the GPU already), physics, AI, atc, weather....Now comes the hard part :) getting it all to work without starving the other threads while you wait for another prcess to finish.

Very nice .... but FSX was designed for DX9. The MSFS team has mentioned it before. This is the last time I will quote Tdragger ;) ..."It's just that the issue has caused so much confusion over the past few months I wince when I see DX10 used. Wink Truth is we designed FSX for DX9 'cause that's all we had to work with. When DX10 cards are ready only then will be *start* thinking about what to do with them."