Sign in to follow this  
Guest tcable

FSX and performance - let's clarify a few things...

Guest Babubhai

There is alot of discussion here regarding FSX's performance.Guys, remember FSX has been designed for a next generation system (Windows Vista and DirectX 10 interface). But it has been released a little early.According to Microsoft, DirectX 10, will offer six to eight times the graphics performance of DirectX 9. Yes, that's 6-8 times the performance...DirectX 10 will be more than just an update. Alot of the program has been redesigned. And will allow developers with more flexibilty.DirectX 10 will be compatible with DirectX 9 graphic cards. But to take full advantage it we will need "pure" DirectX 10 card.Flight Simulator X is a next generation title designed for next generation technology as well as many other titles like Alan Wake, Crysis, Unreal Torunament 2007. They will not run effeciently on our current hardware.You can read more stuff about Windows Vista and DirectX 10 here: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/p-4.html

Guest Barty

I read that FSX was developed using DirectX 9 so I really do not see how it can be "designed for next gen system." I think we would like to think that what you wrote above is true but the sad thing is that it isn't.There will be a patch I am sure but I doubt that you will see 6-8 performance increase.I think the sim needs to be rewritten from grounds up as someone suggested, taking a hard look at multiprocessor capability and maybe a taking advantage of hardware physics engine. Other games are looking into having a physics processor so I think flight sim would be prime candidate. MSFT has enough resources to pull this off. So, I hereby submit my first suggestions for FSXI.

Here we go again...As tdragger, and others, have said, FSX is a DX9 game. It was designed for DX9 and there is nothing in the current release that has anything to do with DX10. Let me say that again, it was designed for DX9. Why?. Because DX10 doesn't exist yet. There may be, someday, a patch or modification to FSX to allow for the functionality of DX10 but that's not guaranteed. All this talk about future FSX performance under DX10 is, at this point, just idle speculation. Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Babubhai

But directX 9 is not the most effecient interface for it to run on. It will be directX 10.The same goes for many other next generation titles. They are being developed on DirectX 9 technology at this point because DirectX 10 is not available.But they will run best on the DirectX 10 technology.Flight Simulator X has been designed with DirectX 10 in mind thats why an update for it will become availble at some point...Flight Simulator X is being marketed as a Windows Vista game. One of the main features of Windows Vista is DirectX 10.The directX 10 update for Flight Simulator X is not just "pure speculation"

Guest Tingoose

> Here we go again...Imdeed, indeed. . . tedious!!!

Guest Babubhai

Taken from the Fsinsider.com FAQ page:"Q: Will

Guest Babubhai

Thank you, Ed Green.I don't know why people are finding my post so tedious. I fail to understand. I think I have made a fair point.To get the most out of this new version of flight simulator, we will need new and better hardware.

Guest SilverCircle

I think, the big question is:Will DX10 + its new driver model increase performance for DX9 applications? Very likely possible, if it really cleans up with some architectural problems DirectX is still carrying from its early days.Nobody can answer this at the moment, because we don't know. A few game development gurus may know, but they are probably not allowed to talk about.

>Thank you, Ed Green.>>I don't know why people are finding my post so tedious. I fail>to understand. I think I have made a fair point.>I think the reason why people find it tedious, is because this exact topic has been discussed, hashed, re-hashed, 100 times in the last few months. And in fact MS flight team members were in on those discussions, too.But I can understand your post. You were not in all of those discussions so it's new to you. :)RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>Thank you, Ed Green.>>>>I don't know why people are finding my post so tedious. I>fail>>to understand. I think I have made a fair point.>>>>I think the reason why people find it tedious, is because this>exact topic has been discussed, hashed, re-hashed, 100 times>in the last few months. And in fact MS flight team members>were in on those discussions, too.Old hands in this forum just need to remember, maybe, that newcomers arrive here every day. It's the same as saying 'why didn't you search?', etc. Anyway:1. FSX as boxed is optimised for DX9.2. When Vista and DX10 are available, there WILL be a patch.'Nuff said.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/avsimlogo.jpg[/a]

Guest Bottle

DX10 is completely incompatible with DX9 code. DX9 will only run under Vista because MS have DX9 in the OS as well as DX10. Hopefully, the first DX10 cards will have duel support for DX9/10 code. It is possible that future DX10 cards will not be able to handle DX9 code, even though Vista still has DX9 in it. That will be a bummer for legacy software.One of the ACEs team was in hear just after FSX went gold and stated they had a DX10 sample card in the office, but everyone had gone on holiday, so they now have the hardware to test with.I also read on a forum, although granted I don't know the source, that ACEs have written most of the DX10 patch already. It now needs completing/teasting and of course waiting for Vista. I suspect the business plan they have is to release the patch at the same time as Vista since Bill Gates stated at a conference some time ago that FSX will be a Vista/DX10 flagship application.Keep the faith. FSX optimized for DX10 will be a reality (for those with Vista/hardware). It will look better and perform better than the DX9 version. The doubt is, by how much.

Guest tcable

NOw that I've seen a photo of actual nVidia DX10 hardware I'm guessing that ACES will be seeing some very soon (if not already)- even if engineering samples.Maybe it'll be 6 months to the DX10 patch, maybe not.FSX is much better looking in almost every way over FS9, especailly at night.