Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Finally moving from Win7 to Win10 -Advice?

Should I remove P3dv4.5 from its dedicated drive? Will Win10 upgrade process give options?

Presently have Windows on C:\ , P3d on D:\  and some software also on E:\. Delete everything? or....

Win10 retail Home edition arrived this morning but am in no rush to proceed.

I haven't seen a tutorial on this but will check some more.

Really hard to see Win7 go. It has been a good OS for me and we have become good friends 😉

Thanks

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Neal,

I did the move some days ago with W7Pro on C:, v3.3 on G: d and my mesh on D: No  problem whatsoever. I used the free upgrade that MS still offers, launched the Media Creation Tool downloaded at microsoft.com and followed its guidance. You dont need a tutorial, everything is clear enough.  I had to help him a little to find a driver but thats it. 

I also did it with W7 home on my wife's computer. Everything went smoothly too.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Windows upgrade has supposedly gotten a lot better during the years, but I still never upgrade or recommend it. Windows itself can easily maintain its file system integrity, but other components, runtimes and dependables might not play along so well after the upgrade.

I guess you could go with upgrade and if you are not having any major issues afterwards then it's a win. Few isolated flaws can easily be rectified on it's own, but if things are messed up in a big way, then I would wipe the C drive and install fresh.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'd avoid the upgrade like the plague. That is just problems waiting to happen and there's been mass reports of issues over the years from users who only did the upgrade. I would go for a clean install with the latest ISO, then enjoy an evening of getting P3D set up again. I know, it's not the most exciting way to spend an evening but I reckon it's worth it in the long run.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Envros has a point, at the end of the day a complete wipe and reinstall will always be the cleanest installation.  However, I have gone the upgrade route (as Dominique suggested) on numerous occasions for family and friends as I updated their computers, and every one has been a complete success.  You'll be fine whichever way you choose, but the upgrade is higher risk.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

You will enjoy Windows 10, it is much better than Win 7. 

• Upvote 1

I went from w7 to w10 by the upgrade way and ended up with p3d giving me the "video card not compatible with direct x 11" error code. See this thread

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=132091

In the end, like the op in this thread, I had to wipe my harddisk and do a clean install of w10, p3d and all add-ons.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

16 minutes ago, agutz said:

I went from w7 to w10 by the upgrade way and ended up with p3d giving me the "video card not compatible with direct x 11" error code. See this thread

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=132091

In the end, like the op in this thread, I had to wipe my harddisk and do a clean install of w10, p3d and all add-ons.

Didn't have any problem with my 1080.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Please read the thread I indicated. It has nothing to do with the graphic card (I have a 1080, too).

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

43 minutes ago, agutz said:

Please read the thread I indicated. It has nothing to do with the graphic card (I have a 1080, too).

Sorry, I stand corrected

Dominique

It was an interesting linked topic which seemed to address every problem except the cause.

A visit to the device manager and a re-installation of the drivers, as clearly stated in the topic linked

by Poppet would no doubt have resolved the problem.

What a shame that the solution chosen was of no value to anyone else.

I too have updated Windows many times and for many people.

Without a doubt, a clean installation is the best option but not one of the updates failed.

What they can do however, is leave in place a pre-existing fault, which is of course then blamed on the

last thing to be done, the update.

Edited by Reader

I was afflicted with the same problem.

"A visit to the device manager and a re-installation of the drivers, as clearly stated in the topic linked by Poppet would no doubt have resolved the problem"

No, it didn't. I followed all advice given by Poppet. None of them resolved it.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

I have P3D version 3.4 on my C drive and I just ran the upgrade ( free by the way) about 7 months ago from W7 to W10.  Zero problems, and everything works smooth as silk, including all my add ons, scenery, etc... Couldn't be happier. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

To the OP.

Step 1. - Unplug your D and E drives during the installation process to ensure that no accidental damage happens to them.

Step 2 - Make SURE that your onboard graphics controller is DISABLED in BIOS to ensure that Windows won't get confused as to which device is your primary graphics adapter (most likely what caused Andreas' problem in the first place).

Step 3 - Perform the upgrade.

Step 4 - After playing around with Win 10 for a little bit to make sure that it is finished installing and configuring itself. Reconnect your D and E drives.

You have a couple of options in regards to your applications. I generally start off by simply trying to run them by just going into the folder where they are installed and clicking on the program's executable. A lot of applications will notice things like missing config files, registry keys, etc., and will re-run their "first run" setup routines and then just work as usual from them on. Other won't. For the ones that won't, re-run their installer and select the same destination folder. Most of them will detect the presence of the existing files. and will offer a "repair" option. Just run that. A small minority might just need to be reinstalled over top of the existing installation.

Just do it. Win 10 is MUCH better for P3D.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

Just do it. Win 10 is MUCH better for P3D.

How so? Genuinely curious, as I'm also still on Win 7.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else