Sign in to follow this  
Rob Haynes

Looking for Advice on a New GPU

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any advice! 

I have a roughly 4 year old computer that was built by CyberPower PC (specs below) and I'm looking to improve my in-sim FPS with P3Dv4.5. I've been looking at new video cards in the $350-$500 price range with 8gb of memory as I also want to use VR for iRacing. I will be using a monitor via HDMI for my flight sim set up. I'll also put it out there that I'm a doof, when it comes to computer parts and how to get the most out of them. 😆

Currently in the NGX while on the ground at a smaller to medium sized airport in a not so dense area, I pull 12-15 FPS. If flying into FSDT KLAX, or heavy areas like Seattle, New York, Miami/Fort Lauderdale I can range between 8-11 FPS on approach and the ground. Steering on the ground is super choppy and the FPS gets even lower. I pull similar FPS in even less complicated aircraft like the QW757, while it's even worse than the NGX in Captain Sim's 757 for P3Dv4.

I would like to see 15-20 at the heavy areas airports listed above, if not better. 

Any thoughts on a good graphics card or other recommendations to improve my FPS, while keeping it under $500?

Here are the specs for the computer I had built by CyberPower PC: 

• CAS: CyberPowerPC X-Titan 100 MID-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Window Panel (Black Color)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case  (Red Color)
  • FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • HDD: 256GB SANDISK SSD + 2TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo (Combo Drive)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 ATX w/ Intel GbLAN, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 x M.2, 8x SATA 6Gb/s (All Venom OC Certified)
  • OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)
  • POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) (Single Card)

The 256GB SSD has since been replaced by a 500GB SSD after a failure. The SSD is for Windows and some documents. All my my simulators, programs, AI models/repaints, etc are on the 2TB SATAIII HD.

For my simulator, I use the following:

• Prepar3d v4.5
  • REX Essentials
  • REX Airports HD
  • Active Sky for P3Dv4
  • Mostly freeware airports that I've updated parking assignments, add dynamic lighting, etc
  • All FSX or P3Dv4 AI models with schedules I manually manage with AIFP. (My AI collection is MASSIVE).
  • I use an AI Limiting program to limit the AI populated in heavier traffic areas.
  • Aivasoft EFB (the original)
  • My VA's ACARS system
  • Orbx Global, Vector, Open LC, North America, PNW, NRM, CRM, PFK, SAK, Aus v1, NZ NI & SI
  • Tomato Shade with the Preset from iniBuilds

Here are my P3Dv4.5 settings (recommended from iniBuilds) and corresponding performance shown via Task Manager in the Majestic Dash 8 and PMDG 737 NGX.

EYmpuKI.png

yB7JDet.png

wZffMAn.png

rFT6LqN.png

I run AI at 75% for commercial and GA with all boats and vehicles turned off.

In-sim performance in the Majestic Q400 over barren, northern Canada.
620Ywft.png

3cxHCOe.png

In-sim performance in the NGX over the middle of North Dakota
Lw45nCt.png

nEMKGyQ.png

In all of the images of performance above, I'm in very light traffic and autogen areas.

Would a video card similar to some of the GTX 1070, 1080's with 8GB in memory around $350-500 give me what I'm looking for? My sim itself is smooth in regards I don't get pauses due to the processing. I just want smoother performance on screen and to have a more realistic feeling/look when on the ground and approach. Any other recommendations to improve performance, without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

Rob

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

wrong assumption

Edited by rickgo
deleted original

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

A new GPU will not give you much higher FPS if you keep your existing CPU. A new GPU will allows you to crank up some visual with your existing CPU.

If you need more FPS and better game play, you have to replace your CPU with a better one.

Mike

• Like 2

Yeah, I would get a new cpu before I would worry about a new gpu. If you don't want to get a new cpu, you might want to try overclocking your current processor to at least 4.5 ghz, if not a little more. Also you might want to consider turning down some of your settings in P3D.

3 hours ago, paulluck said:

Yeah, I would get a new cpu before I would worry about a new gpu. If you don't want to get a new cpu, you might want to try overclocking your current processor to at least 4.5 ghz, if not a little more. Also you might want to consider turning down some of your settings in P3D.

Any CPU recommendations under $500 that should provide good P3D performance?

i5-10600K 4.6 gHZ | GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | G.SKILL 32GB (16 GB x2) DDR4 | Corsair H115i RGB 280mm Cooler | 500 GB SANDISK SSD + 2 TB SATA III

Premier Virtual Airlines
www.premiervirtual.org

1 hour ago, Rob Haynes said:

Any CPU recommendations under $500 that should provide good P3D performance?

If you have $500 to blow on a cpu just go for the 9900K. (US$472.00 on pcpartpicker.com).

P.S. You'll need a good cooler for it as well

Edited by speedyTC

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Are those airports you listed above all default,  except for KLAX?

Edited by rickgo

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

If you go with a newer CPU, you're going to need a new motherboard too. Also, looks like you have DDR3 memory...you're going to have to get some DDR4 memory as well. Honestly if you really want to upgrade your computer, you're probably going to have to increase your budget a bit. 😀 

• Upvote 1