Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Is it my imagination?

Is it my imagination or is REX Environment Force and REX Sky Force 3D and absolute performance killer?

Prior to buying these addons a few weeks Ago I was using Active Sky and REX4 Textures direct for a long time.

I had found the general sweet spot for my system to maintain 30FPS at 30hz with unlimited frames pretty much in

nearly all scenarios. I called those setting Sweet spot and then I had another setting file called 30fps anywhere

with lower settings than Sweet spot. It seems to me that now I get scenarios with "sweet spot" that cant maintain

30fps far more often and scenarios with "30fps anywhere" that cant maintain 30fps. they seem to correspond with The new REX5

addons.

EDIT:

So its seem to be REX Sky force 3D. I was circling the A2A cherokee over KSAN and SOCAL all ORBX at dusk and getting pretty much 30fps

with just broken clouds. I Started up REX Skyforce 3D and it loaded real world weather which was overcast with rain. It halved the Frame rate

from 30 (it was at least 30 since it was limited by vsync and 30hz) to 15fps. Now I know you can expect a performance hit with overcast and rain

but half? I don't recall having anything like that kind of hit with AS and REX4 textures. Am I missing something. I knew my way around AS and had it set up

for best performance. Is that a setting tab in REX Skyforce 3D that I am missing?

Edited by Avidean

Normal and the reason why I finally gave up using 4xSSAA on my rig. Overcast conditions just ruin your FPS, even if you take all tipps into account such as not to many cloud layers, only 512x512 resolution clouds etc.

Now with 8xMSAA I have reasonable FPS, at least very close to my 30FPS limit even in overcast conditions.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Also, uncheck the 3D cloud morphing option. Thats a FPS killer. 

Edited by jay281
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

Which option exactly Jay?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Check if "Enable Dense Cirrus Overcast Layer" in the "Cirrus Cloud Control" menu in Environment Force is checked. Uncheck it! Having that checked cut my FPS in half.

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Normal and the reason why I finally gave up using 4xSSAA on my rig. Overcast conditions just ruin your FPS, even if you take all tipps into account such as not to many cloud layers, only 512x512 resolution clouds etc.

Now with 8xMSAA I have reasonable FPS, at least very close to my 30FPS limit even in overcast conditions.

This is why I run P3Dv4 with clear skies and calm conditions on my very modest PC. That's because I need 4xSSAA when running P3D @ 1920x1080 resolution on my 24" widescreen monitor. Anyhthing less, and I get unacceptable levels of shimmering textures.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

That's because I need 4xSSAA when running P3D @ 1920x1080 resolution on my 24" widescreen monitor. Anyhthing less, and I get unacceptable levels of shimmering textures.

What type of GPU do you have? Did you once tried DSR instead? Or FXAA together with the novel image sharpening option of the nVIDIA driver?

I also do not totally like the shimmering, especially for some AI repaints, but in the end I prefer good looking skies with clouds till the horizon over some shimmering...

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I only have a 2GB GeForce GTX770. However, I am hoping to be able to build a more powerful PC over Christmas. Nothing top of the range, but upgrading from an i5 4690k/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GTX 770 system to an i7 7700k/32GB DDR4-3866/6GB GTX980Ti powered one should bring significant performance enhancements. I am hoping to be able to add dynamic lighting and shadows to my flight simulation environment. Variable weather would be nice, but that is not one of my top priorities.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, David Roch said:

Which option exactly Jay?

3D cloud morphing switch. If you run EF in automatic mode. It’s a slider on the left hand side of the menu. 

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

I came to the same conclusion about Sky Force clouds and now use only HiFi or Envtex clouds at low resolutions...and my environment looks good.

• Upvote 1

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently not my imagination. I was quite satisfied with AS and REX4. Only decided to buy the REX5 stuff because of sale. I do love the look of the sim with the REX5 Addons. I'll have to fiddle with setting and try some of the suggestions above to see if I can't come up with a P3D Setting file specifically for Overcast stormy conditions.

Yeah, it is.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

You need to change the texture size. Try dropping it down to 512 or 1024, that will make a difference. You may be at 4k textures.

An RTX card will eat through bad weather like nothing, but that is not a cheap solution.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently not my imagination. I was quite satisfied with AS and REX4. Only decided to buy the REX5 stuff because of sale. I do love the look of the sim with the REX5 Addons. I'll have to fiddle with setting and try some of the suggestions above to see if I can't come up with a P3D Setting file specifically for Overcast stormy conditions.

Hello, Avidean. I found the best advice here as far as settings if you have both REX4 and REX5. Works great for me.

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48678-skyforce-3d-and-rex-texture-direct/

• Like 1

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

For now I have my 30fps back in overcast conditions.

I haven't had the time to go through all the setting in detail

But I found the option to let Sky force look after the texture setting fro optimal performance:

"Enable performance Optimization".

I'll also try "Enable Auto-tune optimization" when I get a chance.