Sign in to follow this  
strider1

X-Plane Q&A (November 2019)

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

There is a recap on the Threshold site ( i don't know if i can link it here)

Anyway, another disappointing Q/A. They mention shader based seasons again (something we heard before XP11 was released too). Vulkan coming soon but no confirmation of it coming before near year in beta (like they previously said in october), ATC improvements being delayed because of work on the mobile version, generic mentions of improvements to lighting and something else while i still remember the test water video Ben showed us years ago now, no mention of improving default clouds towards a noise generated approach or wherever they are in contact with the xEnviro team to facilitate their work (since it's the only addon out there bringing in something actually new and innovative to the flight sim world besides the same tech coming with MSFS)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

They didn't answer my question :-/

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Very low key event with low quality video and sound but more importantly stale news. 
A lot of talk about the mobile version to be released possibly before the end of this year and to be used on ipads with android to follow later. Prices were disclosed too. 

Nothing new about Vulkan that we weren't told before.
Chris Serio is aware of how important ATC is for some of us and he is working on getting that done for both mobile and desktop versions but it did not sound like it's an imminent thing. 

Seems like they picked the least interesting questions to answer, some of which were answered already multiple times on previous events. 
Oh and Austin's own N844X and flying cars to come in the future  

Probably the most exciting news came from the chat where Dan Klaue announced the release of his Quest Kodiak V2 within two days, 

Seems that the mobile version has more traction than the desktop version. A bit of a lackluster Q/A if you ask me.

The most important news to me is that they mentioned about something big coming next year with technology that they didn't think of 6 months ago. I think it is about X-Plane 12.

They also mentioned that after Vulcan they will focus on visual improvements and will need to compete with MSFS 2020.

My guess is that 11.50 will be the last update to XP11 and then we will have XP12.

Edited by twojastara

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I have a slight feeling...just a slight one...that maybe the reason they don't want to mention too much about what's coming up, or any timelines, is because if something happens to delay progress, people will come out complaining and screaming "YOU SAID IT WOULD BE OUT BY THE END OF THE YEAR!!!  Where is it!!??"

But hey, I'm no expert.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I have a slight feeling...just a slight one...that maybe the reason they don't want to mention too much about what's coming up, or any timelines, is because if something happens to delay progress, people will come out complaining and screaming "YOU SAID IT WOULD BE OUT BY THE END OF THE YEAR!!!  Where is it!!??"

But hey, I'm no expert.

You mean like it happened with Vulkan, improved water, shader based seasons, improved ATC, regional ATC (we just got some form of it with MisterX)? 😛

I understand the hype and all.. but there must be something they can share and reliably bring on time too so they can actually tell us about.. I was expecting more of a general look of what XP11 or even XP12 is going for besides some claims i already heard even before XP11 was being released..

• Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Let's not forget how XP 11.40 looks today after a fresh installation 😁
Ok the flight model is probably very good but a bit of eye candy would not hurt.

Cessna-172-SP-2019-11-20-16-03-29.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

This was by far the worst Q&A they've had.  No real answers, no real guidance as to the future, which makes me wonder if investing in this sim is even worth it anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenn_C said:

Seems that the mobile version has more traction than the desktop version. A bit of a lackluster Q/A if you ask me.

No kidding....most hardcore users could care less about a mobile version.  Maybe it's making them good money though?  In that case they are smart to pursue mobile.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, dal330200 said:

This was by far the worst Q&A they've had.  No real answers, no real guidance as to the future, which makes me wonder if investing in this sim is even worth it anymore. 

Yep, this was my thoughts. Especially considering the state of flux at the moment for users as well as developers, a bit of good news or reassurance would have helped. 

But well.... they have X-Plane mobile

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

No kidding....most hardcore users could care less about a mobile version.  Maybe it's making them good money though?  In that case they are smart to pursue mobile.

If you can broaden your market appeal with little extra effort, not going for it would be a glaring error.

15 hours ago, ArchStanton said:

Most important question: can we have road traffic on the other side of the road in the UK?😥

I thiought this was already possible if the road network is set up properly?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days