Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Orbx kills OpenLC Asia

On July 10th John Venema announced the work would very soon begin  on the long awaited P3D/FSX opus.

Holger Sandmann is now leading a parallel team to work on OLC Asia and work will commence in earnest in the next week or so and we're aiming for a release well before years' end. 

Today he announced 

openLC Asia has not been started on yet and at this stage the project has not been given the green light.

We've been waiting for 3+ years since the first announcement of OpenLC Asia. We know now that we'll most certainly never see it. It wouldn't make sense to put on the market around the time  FS20 is released.

Having been among those requesting OLC Asia again and again, I won't comment anymore  except to say that Orbx decision makes FS20 even more desirable ! 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Can't blame them.

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

Can't blame them.

Why...plenty of interesting scenery and flying to be had....

Very disappointing however I feel ORBX have lost considerable focus and quality in recent releases. I’m pretty much done with them.

Edited by barramundilure
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Just now, Sethos said:

Can't blame them.

<cough, cough>

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, barramundilure said:

Why...plenty of interesting scenery and flying to be had....

That doesn't pay the bills, nor time time invested into creating such a product. Asia and Africa have always been on the backburner because they are a niche within a niche, a lot of simmers don't care about those areas, regardless of how interesting they are, so the potential market value is already diminished out of the gate. Now, you have a potential complete turnaround of the sim scene coming up, that could render the product even less valuable. Thus, by the time it's ready, they will lose a significant amount of money on the product. Absolutely crazy to expect a developer to freely throw them into a potential financial loss.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

That doesn't pay the bills, nor time time invested into creating such a product. Asia and Africa have always been on the backburner because they are a niche within a niche, a lot of simmers don't care about those areas, regardless of how interesting they are, so the potential market value is already diminished out of the gate. Now, you have a potential complete turnaround of the sim scene coming up, that could render the product even less valuable. Thus, by the time it's ready, they will lose a significant amount of money on the product. Absolutely crazy to expect a developer to freely throw them into a potential financial loss.

In your humble opinion.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

34 minutes ago, barramundilure said:

In your humble opinion.....

He's right.  When 2020 comes out tye days of Vector data, open landclass based scenery are done. Theyre going to have to focus on airports and airplanes I would imagine. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Sethos,

They are indeed in charge of their bottom line, not me, not you. Nobody asks them to lose money. So be it. 

But nobody forced them to announce the product in 2015/ 2016, then postponing it saying that the regional customer base was not here anyway which, in my humble polite opinion, is unfounded and that piracy was a problem, and again announcing in July that  they would start the project next week, after a very long thread demanding yet again the product. 

Now, they seem to have a (genuine I might say)  problem with OLC Africa.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 2

Dominique

1 minute ago, fakeflyer737 said:

He's right.  When 2020 comes out tye days of Vector data, open landclass based scenery are done. Theyre going to have to focus on airports and airplanes I would imagine. 

I will tell you what, if OLC Asia would have been released for the Holidays, I would have been delighted to fly it until fs20 release. I might not be alone :wink: !

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

Oh come on... 😒

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

No no I agree Id purchased it too. I just meant I see why theyre making the decisions that they are.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

22 minutes ago, domkle said:

I will tell you what, if OLC Asia would have been released for the Holidays, I would have been delighted to fly it until fs20 release. I might not be alone :wink: !

Ditto!!!

Chris Camp

10 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

Interesting read at different levels. OLC Asia is dead and OLC Africa agonizing in any case.

• Like 1

Dominique

Well, next time ORBX makes an "official" announcement, be prepared, it can be changed down the road.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers