Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Orbx kills OpenLC Asia

Just now, Kaiii3 said:

simple: Have you check Bing around the globe? There are a lot of areas you do not want the data from Bing 😉

They aren't using the data you see on Bing map. They have access to much newer, different data, stuff they also use for the professional side of things. Plus, data that has been post-processed heavily to rectify any issues.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Just now, fakeflyer737 said:

I understand that and youre right but its also being updated all the time and MS has a means of filling those gaps 

and with what kind of data? default data so there are still lots of areas addon developers can start adding custom LC/Photo Scenery

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

An OLC Asia release this year always seemed like a big ask to create from scratch and complete the project in just 5 months.

OLC Africa had a lot of development work already done before it was postponed again. Then, even with the extra resources thrown at it, the beta is late according to them. A pre-Christmas release would be great, but I'm not counting on it.

OLC is old tech. With falling sales due to MSFS on the horizon, TrueEarth is their big play for our money. Therefore I understand the rationale for the decision to cancel Asia even though I don't like it.

What I really don't like and find extremely disappointing is to be told that a team would immediately start working on it back in July, only to now be told work didn't start at all. That affects my future purchases with them, as my trust in their comments has been harmed.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 minutes ago, Kaiii3 said:

or they just wanted to push sales and jumped on the hypetrain....

Every developer is going to promote their products to the best of there ability but I mean come on havent you watched the videos?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

They aren't using the data you see on Bing map. They have access to much newer, different data, stuff they also use for the professional side of things. Plus, data that has been post-processed heavily to rectify any issues.

You know this how? And where is the proof of this 'new data' in their promo videos? AFAIK there source is Bing only and believe me, there are parts of the world where Bing ortho looks much worse than landclass scenery.

Too much word not allowed stuff about MSFS here, let's wait until they run out of pretty photogrammetry cities to show us. What then?

• Upvote 1

and with what kind of data? default data so there are still lots of areas addon developers can start adding custom LC/Photo Scenery

MS claimed the are updating  48000 airports so I am assuming theyd have the landclass terrain worked out already in areas that lack coverage

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Just now, fakeflyer737 said:

Every developer is going to promote their products to the best of there ability but I mean come on havent you watched the videos?

I have check the videos, but that is more shine and show for now (see many big other AAA Games). For me as a developer MSFS is a big black hole at the moment, and it seems that it is harming developments of addon for current running Platforms (even before it is released)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

1 minute ago, fta2017 said:

You know this how? And where is the proof of this 'new data' in their promo videos? AFAIK there source is Bing only and believe me, there are parts of the world where Bing ortho looks much worse than landclass scenery.

Too much word not allowed stuff about MSFS here, let's wait until they run out of pretty photogrammetry cities to show us. What then?

We have 160 cities so far, theyre being added and updated constantly, its a start. 

Ron Hamilton

I have check the videos, but that is more shine and show for now (see many big other AAA Games). For me as a developer MSFS is a big black hole at the moment, and it seems that it is harming developments of addon for current running Platforms (even before it is released)

This is how software works, its always moving and changing. Devs may have to retool and thats going to be hard but the future looks bright. 

Ron Hamilton

Just now, fta2017 said:

Because I've followed the information released and various discussions 🙂 People have made numerous of comparisons between current Bing data and areas shown in trailers and videos, with stark contrast between them. Plus, Azure Maps / Bing Professional is a thing, data that to my understanding, is not on the publicly available Bing maps. There is not just a single source of Bing data.

• Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Because I've followed the information released and various discussions 🙂 People have made numerous of comparisons between current Bing data and areas shown in trailers and videos, with stark contrast between them. Plus, Azure Maps / Bing Professional is a thing, data that to my understanding, is not on the publicly available Bing maps. There is not just a single source of Bing data.

Good point 

Ron Hamilton

All this speculation depends on the assumption that from the release date of the new simulator, no one

will use any of the existing simulators or wish to buy payware addons for them.

That concept is preposterous, evidenced by the still thriving community of those who still use Fs9 and 10.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Kaiii3 said:

simple: Have you check Bing around the globe? There are a lot of areas you do not want the data from Bing 😉

Indeed. Even the MFS shot I saw of Sydney would well leave room for an ORBX Australia v3 regional (yes) scenery or at least CityScape. Now, Asobo may improve Sydney until release, but that's Sydney as an iconic place and we've not seen much of Australia elsewhere.

And yes, ORBX did several radical 180-degree-turns over the years, and not all to the better. While I can understand their present situation, I admit feeling frustrated (which I am sure no one cares about) as I was looking for a decent representation of Japan - finally - after years of waiting. ORBX could have made a fortune with OpenLC Africa + Asia a couple of years or so ago, when they decided to shift focus for regions to XP and left long-standing loyal P3D customers in the dark.

And, btw., has anyone of you seen a place in Japan in MFS yet? Maybe it's just at the end of the line. Again.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

18 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

Thank you.

You beat me to it.

• Upvote 2

word not allowed. Was looking forward to flying the Level D 757 over OLC Asia.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."