Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Orbx kills OpenLC Asia

The last time I was interested in default scenery was FS4 in 1992. In fact, I was so disappointed with the textured default landclass scenery in subsequent versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator that I have been using photoscenery exclusively since the day that Flight Unlimited 3 was released in late 1999.

In other words, the loss of OLC anything is of no concern to me.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

38 minutes ago, Kaiii3 said:

simple: Have you check Bing around the globe? There are a lot of areas you do not want the data from Bing 😉

There are many places in Asia where Bing maps are excellent and many in Europe where they could be better. Let's be careful not to talk in general terms. 

Bing maps as you see them in Windows are maybe not all they have. Plus I suspect that the Ai interpolations could output a better scenery than a  LC ground anyway. 

In anycase now that OLC ASia is off the map (pun not intended), let's hope for fs20.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I beleive the ORBX products may no longer be relevant next year.....that's why they are quickly pushing out this scape and that scape.....the final gasp...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Orbx has really lost focus.  I'm so glad I left P3D and went to Xplane with orthos and xenviro.  3 years of waiting for nothing.  Yet, they keep churning out unnecessary scenery packages on multiple platforms, so we all see where their priorities lie.  I'm done with them. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The last time I was interested in default scenery was FS4 in 1992. In fact, I was so disappointed with the textured default landclass scenery in subsequent versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator that I have been using photoscenery exclusively since the day that Flight Unlimited 3 was released in late 1999.

In other words, the loss of OLC anything is of no concern to me.

Exactly, we arent losing anything were gaining a lot

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

44 minutes ago, pmb said:

ORBX could have made a fortune with OpenLC Africa + Asia a couple of years or so ago, when they decided to shift focus for regions to XP and left long-standing loyal P3D customers in the dark.

And, btw., has anyone of you seen a place in Japan in MFS yet? Maybe it's just at the end of the line. Again.

I will not comment too much further on Orbx, fearing to feed  a flame thread. But I do consider that they completely let us down.

Concerning your worries, MS is smart enough to see the enormous potential of the Asian markets and in particular Japan. And I doubt they have the prejudice against Asia  that was shown over there. 

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I find this decision disrespectful to their customers. We had been paying for the LC products with the thinking that they will cover the globe one day. Where is loyalty for the customers who paid all these years ORBX ?

I love MSFS and I'll join on day one, but this doesn't mean I'll abandon P3D and all the beautiful airport and scenery add-ons I have paid for. For example until the PMDG 747 and a PacSim RKSI are available in MSFS, I will be flying such routes in P3Dv4. 

Beyond that, I don't get why MSFS affects the LC products. Their LC technology can only sell in P3D, not in MSFS. They have a chance to sell to a lot to people like me who want to fly their P3D aircraft and scenery even after MSFS is released.

Very disappointed ORBX forgot their customers.

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

My Prepar3d V4.5 install is now officially complete. It's fantastic. There is no end of flying I can do in it. It needs nothing more than a 16 core 7ghz CPU and a GTX 2090ti with 22GB of GDDR5 and a 3000mhz clock. I'll start spending money again when MSFS 2020 is released. I can hear myself now, "The king is dead, Long live the King". ORBX does great little airfeilds that are great to fly in and out of. There must be at least two or three hundred of them in their portfolio. That along with larger airports are their future as far as I can see. There won't be any need for regions or global coverage in MSFS. The future of scenery developers is in airports from Grass strips to international hubs. I beat ORBX are already working on porting their airports to MSFS2020

Edited by Avidean
  • Upvote 2

Way to write a misleading headline. Do you happen to work for a newspaper?

John Venema said that the project is not yet greenlit. Not that it has been axed. That is only your conjecture.

Also, he did not say work has stopped on Asia, only that it is not greenlit. If he said Holger had started work on it back in July then he may still be working on it. Projects need to hit certain milestones before they are given the green light.

Just for the record Azure Maps definitely has different satellite data then what you can find in Bing Maps...

https://azuremapscodesamples.azurewebsites.net/Third Party Map Controls/Satellite Imagery in OpenLayers.html

EDIT: I should clarify, it's different than the Windows 10 Bing Maps App data.  I believe the website uses this data.

Edited by TravelRunner404

34 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I find this decision disrespectful to their customers. We had been paying for the LC products with the thinking that they will cover the globe one day. Where is loyalty for the customers who paid all these years ORBX ?

Maybe a little less hyperbole would do you good?

This is not the first, nor will it be the last time ORBX changed their roadmap plans.

I remember very well the initial ideas they had for doing more local airfields in their full regions and John releasing a list of those that were planned. None of that came to fruition. I'm still waiting for the Old Sarum they wanted to make 5 years ago.

They don't owe us anything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

Maybe a little less hyperbole would do you good?

This is not the first, nor will it be the last time ORBX changed their roadmap plans.

I remember very well the initial ideas they had for doing more local airfields in their full regions and John releasing a list of those that were planned. None of that came to fruition. I'm still waiting for the Old Sarum they wanted to make 5 years ago.

They don't owe us anything.

loyality is not something you own to someone, but something you feel grateful to do. Sure I can't blame them for changing their plans, its their company. But as a customer I can say publicly that I feel betrayed when I had been buying their LC products wanting to complete the globe at some point. I would be okay if they admit that LC Asia will happen even if its delayed. 

Edited by Daedalus
  • Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link