Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Orbx kills OpenLC Asia

12 hours ago, Afterburner said:

In my opinion, LCs provide quite an efficient way to improve the fidelity of landscapes especially for high-altitude flyers in terms of FPS and file size (and you get four seasons), so that you don't need to waste dozens or hundreds of GBs for only one season, like with the TE products.

I agree 100 %! They are great products for customers, but perhaps not for the producers. And after all, they make us what helps them to make best profits. Quite understandable.

Edited by kiki
  • Like 2

This is exactly why I think developers should not provide details, future plans or thoughts to customers. Say nothing and just announce when beta testing starts. People complain that they want more openness from developers but this is what you get in the end. Complaints and 'I'll never buy from orbx again' because they wont make a loss making product you want that they thought was a good idea 4 years ago 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Good thing you posted this here. That muppet, Nick Cooper on the Orbx forum hands out the most ridiculous warnings for anything negative against Orbx requiring all your posts to be reviewed prior to showing. Their orwellian way of running their forum has soured any more purchases from them. I am personally happy MS2020 is making majority of their products redundant. Good riddance to them.

I have to agree!!!!

He banned me requiring all my posts to be reviewed first after posting in several forums on how to fix the constant black night tiles issue and saying that ORBX need to fix the problem once and for all.

I was getting so sick of seeing the same posts every day complaining about the night time tiles bleeding through during the day in some areas and Nick responding each time like he had no idea what the forum users were complaining about!

I identified the problem and posted a fix and got a permanent ban as a thank you!

Total denial of a well documented reoccurring problem that they not only refuse to fix but even address is an issue!

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

Anyone can do as I did and search the Orbx forums for your forum name and see for themselves that you are not banned.

They would also be able to see your activity and the ten copy and pastes that you posted into ten different topics on the same day.

Perhaps that is why you can no longer freely post there?

I would imagine that ten identical posts into ten topics on this forum on the same day would not go unnoticed by its moderators.

Edited by Reader
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

That muppet, Nick Cooper 

I don't want to stir the pot, but he also had a dig at Avsim in one of the posts announcing it. I was going to say something to him as Avsim is my home for many years, but I decided to shut my mouth (keyboard) and let it go.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

Good thing you posted this here. That muppet, Nick Cooper on the Orbx forum hands out the most ridiculous warnings for anything negative against Orbx requiring all your posts to be reviewed prior to showing. Their orwellian way of running their forum has soured any more purchases from them. I am personally happy MS2020 is making majority of their products redundant. Good riddance to them.

Hey Eric

I've  3,689 posts under my belt at orbx and about 50 of their products so you could say that I know them a little. 

Nick is not a muppet. He is a good guy, helpful to many. Well mannered and funny.  I suppose that he runs the forums as he is told by the boss.   Their support forums are lively sign that it is not so orwellian :wink:

I posted on Avsim because I am tired of their forum though. Most of the interesting people have left  or post rarely and it is difficult to have an interesting conversation on aviation matters or flight simulation and sceneries.  And John V is not ready to listen to people who genuinely like what  Orbx does but disagree with him. I always try to be polite but I don't mince my thoughts. So be it, it is his place.  

One think to remember, OLC Asia was a product from Orbx as a developer but these days Orbx is also the publisher of tens of developers who are among the best in the profession.  Let's not punish these good guys because the boss makes us cringe on the OLC Asia business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Reader said:

Anyone can do as I did and search the Orbx forums for your forum name and see for themselves that you are not banned.

They would also be able to see your activity and the ten copy and pastes that you posted into ten different topics on the same day.

Perhaps that is why you can no longer freely post there?

I would imagine that ten identical posts into ten topics on this forum on the same day would not go unnoticed by its moderators.

Well since you have enough time to have gone over there and researched my individual posts maybe you should have noticed that the identical posts all involved a solution to an identical problem posted in ten different topics describing the same issue for which I posted a fix!

Or would you have rather I typed a separate fix in every single topic asking for help without the benefit of cut and paste?

By “banned” I explained I have to have every single post reviewed and approved by Nick before it is visible.  Hence, I am banned from live posting now.... Next time read what I said and don’t just assume!

Edited by Kilo60
  • Like 1

Chris Camp

10 hours ago, domkle said:

One think to remember, OLC Asia was a product from Orbx as a developer but these days Orbx is also the publisher of tens of developers who are among the best in the profession.  Let's not punish these good guys because the boss makes us cringe on the OLC Asia business.

That may very well be true, but I find their support with other products  (Edinburgh and True Earth Netherlands in my case) also lacking recently. I am not going to 'punish' anyone but the days that I bought OrbX products on release day without even checking the screenshots, are over. When reading their forums I can not help but get the strong feeling that they simply lost interest and stopped caring, despite Nicks best efforts. 

Erik

11 hours ago, Drumcode said:

I don't want to stir the pot, but he also had a dig at Avsim in one of the posts announcing it. I was going to say something to him as Avsim is my home for many years, but I decided to shut my mouth (keyboard) and let it go.

There has been a long standing feud between the big A and the big O, between the late Tom and John V. It seems that it fortunately fades away but it resurfaces from time to time. 

Nick has had regularly derogatory comments about our discussions on FS20 at Avsim. I like the guy as I said earlier but  I told him at least once that I was not happy. I certainly wasted my post, I suppose that the people at Orbx are a little nervous at the prospect of FS20. Can’t blame them. The remaining regulars there now relish on birthday threads, talking about their pets, cars, hips, knees  and busily monitoring their posts and likes count, things that are less prone to drift into hot debates about the future of our hobby 😁 !

11 minutes ago, ErikBrouwer said:

That may very well be true, but I find their support with other products  (Edinburgh and True Earth Netherlands in my case) also lacking recently. I am not going to 'punish' anyone but the days that I bought OrbX products on release day without even checking the screenshots, are over. When reading their forums I can not help but get the strong feeling that they simply lost interest and stopped caring, despite Nicks best efforts. 

Erik

This is what some good people say. Nick seems a little alone to do everything. The interactions of the developers with the users are minimal these days. A great pity.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, domkle said:

I like the guy as I said earlier but  I told him at least once that I was not happy. I certainly wasted my post, I suppose that the people at Orbx are a little nervous at the prospect of FS20. Can’t blame them. 

I don't think they need to worry.  I'd be surprised if very many small/medium airports will be as detailed as their Courchevel is.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As I've said before, I've really lost interest since the roll out of True Earth. Releasing TE Netherlands for P3D then telling us that the conversions from X-Plane to P3D wouldn't start until September, and this after all of England (and now most of the West Coast USA) was cranked out for XP. Very odd. Economics? Only they know. But it left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see a post saying that P3D TE development is on "hold". But at this point, I'm not sure I care all that much, with the advent of FS2020 next year. And I agree with the above poster about what's left of the forums.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

I wish the team could pick up what the developer left off and finish OpenLC Africa and Asia it would complete my sim and give me over a year of enjoyment in P3D while we wait for the unknown but promising FS2020

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

I wish the team could pick up what the developer left off and finish OpenLC Africa and Asia it would complete my sim and give me over a year of enjoyment in P3D while we wait for the unknown but promising FS2020

I am not sure that I want a « salvaged » Africa, as  Jorg Neumann said about FS20, no half- assed solution.

If I understand well what John V recently said, the work has never begun on Asia. As he didn’t give any explanation, we don’t know the state of play though.

10 hours ago, Mace said:

I don't think they need to worry.  I'd be surprised if very many small/medium airports will be as detailed as their Courchevel is.

I am with you here, the Orbx small dev should have a field day if Orbx plays its cards right. Antagonizing the P3D crowd on the botched OLC business is sure an awkward way to begin with though. Truth is that most of the FS20 simmers will come from the FSX and P3D not the XP  community. Numbers speak. A sour taste in the mouth indeed as Coneman said earlier.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

The problems with the OpenLC cancellation are simple.

1. It was stated that the product was under development, when it wasn’t.

2. More importantly, other parts of the “puzzle” - world-wide coverage - were sold, on the understanding that a complete set would eventually be available.

Item 2 is more problematic, as - for example - Open LC Europe may have been purchased on the understanding that a future flight could be made from there to Asia.

At the least, if I was Orbx I’d be being apologetic about leaving existing customers with an expensive, incomplete set of scenery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."