Sign in to follow this  
Guest SilverCircle

What kind of system were developers using...

Guest Babubhai

Hi, I am just curious to know, what kind of system were the Aces team studio using to run Flight Simulator X...I didn't find any info regarding this. Thanks...

Euh.. something secret from Nasa?I think they use the latest available, since money is for them of course not an issue.JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE

Guest allcott

Bear in mind they're design brief is for two or three years from now, not todays hardware. The product has to have a lifespan, not just immediacy.So, maybe SLI, dual core, physix chips, distributive computing, multiple monitors and all the other things that the team didn't design-in to FSX will all be forgotten hardware in a couple of years? Maybe it'll all be about old biddies pretending to be Air Traffic Controllers? ;)Allcott

Yes we know, but he asked what they use to RUN FS..JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE

The question (surprise:)) has been ask before. I'm pretty sure the answer was DELL computers. And I would assume the XPS version, but I doubt they were exotic versions of the DELL core product line that are unavailable to mere mortals. (like me:)).Bob...

This has been asked and answered many times over the past few months. The answer is pretty much a mixed-bag of systems, none of which remotely qualify as a "high-end system."I suspect the rationale for this is purposeful, since they have to design the sim's code to work on a huge variety of system configurations, so having as much variety as possible in their own offices is a benefit, not a liability.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>I think they use the latest available, since money is for them>of course not an issue.>>>Johanbiggest myth in software development. Id say most are middle end systems and just a handful of high end systems. Microsoft is smart with their money, they arent going to buy SLI systems for everyone.

A few months ago, in this forum, Microsoft said many of the people here at AVSIM had better systems than what they were running.It must be interesting to design and test something so far ahead-of-the curve like FSX.RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest tdragger

<>Actually it's driven by money. Despite assumptions, we have a very limited hardware budget.

Guest BOPrey

We were using 500MHz P2s up untill 18 months ago for software development, and yet our software sells for $30K per copy.

Guest SilverCircle

>Euh.. something secret from Nasa?>I think they use the latest available, since money is for them>of course not an issue.Nope. They probably tested it on a range of systems, beginning with what they finally decided to be the "minimum system requirements". Since the product is advertised to run on such a "minimum" system, it should be tested there. They cannot afford to "guess" the minimum specs.Of course, the minimum system is only able to load it. Whether it can be said that this system will "run" it is another question. But it doesn't die while FSX is loading, at least :)So, everything, beginning with mimimum specs up to the fastest hardware you can get, I guess.And while I do believe that MS has a lot of cash, I don't think that every developer gets a new highend system on his desk twice a year.