Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

South East England Low 'n' Slow

South East England Low 'n' Slow

First, thanks to Gunter for his original flight plan which has been extended a little for Saturday use.

This week's flight will take us on a tour of smaller GA airfields in the south east of England.  We'll start at Duxford (EGSU), site of the Imperial War Museum and a popular field for warbirds. Fly south (following the M11 motorway) towards London, and weather permitting the skyline should be visible. First stop is Stapleford (EGSG), after which we turn west and fly across the northern edge of the London suburbs to Elstree (EGTR). From here the airspace gets particularly congested due to Heathrow, so we'll go around it via Denham (EGLD), White Waltham (EGLM) and Fairoaks (EGTF).  Continuing south west we visit Popham (EGHP) and Old Sarum (EGLS) before turning southeast and flying over the city and port of Southampton to Lee-on-Solent (EGHF). Next we make a quick trip over the Solent to the Isle of Wight, calling in at Bembridge (EGHJ), then heading back to the mainland and Goodwood (EGHR).  We end the flight at Shoreham (EGKA).  Fish 'n' chips in Brighton afterwards is optional but highly recommended.

Flight plan

Can be downloaded here in PLN and GFP formats.

Aircraft

This flight is intended for "low 'n' slow" aircraft around the 90kts mark and is a perfect opportunity to jump into one of the excellent biplanes that have been released recently - particularly Anthony Lynch's Tiger Moth or Nigel Richards' Avro Tutor.  The Tutor was made for FSX but works well in P3Dv4.  There are many liveries also available at Sim-Outhouse.

Nigel's Tutor (freeware): http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=34&id=25100

Ant's Tiger Moth Pro (payware): https://www.antsairplanes.com/tigermothpro.html

Ant's Tiger Moth Pro (demo/freeware): http://www.antsairplanes.com/downloads/AntsTigerMothProDemo.zip

Note that Ant's Tiger Moth demo/freeware is completely new; you may be familiar with his previous freeware model. The new release is the Tiger Moth Pro minus a few additional features: no customisation options or PBR, no damage/wear model and just 2 liveries.  For the purposes of our Saturday flights though it is fully functional.

If neither of those are your cup of tea feel free to fly anything you like but I recommend staying under 100kts.  In a Legacy you'll be waiting in Shoreham about two hours for the rest of us.

Scenery

The plan is built around Orbx England and we will visit a number of their add-on airfields. Most of us I think know ACG's nice rendition of Duxford.

ACG Duxford (freeware): https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=163126

ACG Duxford 2013 update (optional): https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=180331

We will be flying in the London area which is particularly challenging to our hardware. You may want to consider moderating some of your settings to allow for smoother flight.  I found the leg between Stapleford EGSG and Elstree EGTR to be the most demanding and might be suitable for testing purposes.

Where & When

Date and time: Saturday, Nov 23, 2019. 1900 UTC.
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

Multiplayer Experience
To help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked 
here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I love how you have a .gfp flight plan included. For Jeff I guess. :laugh:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

7 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

I love how you have a .gfp flight plan included. For Jeff I guess. :laugh:

.. and others :wink:

Bert

Just a heads up..
The Avro Tutor link in Nick's initial post is for the FSX "port-over" - it is a FS9 native model with just enough mods to make work in FSX & P3Dv1-3. It will not work in P3Dv4+!
When Nigel first released the FS9 version everyone with FSX / P3Dv1-3 had their panties in a bunch. 😝
Forget who, but someone in the forums took them helm and made the FS9 model(s) work - just enough. These are the so called: "port-over" versions.
Here is an easy link where it will bring you to all of Nigel's releases.
Search the page for "FSX_native" and you will find 5 of his true FSX native releases -
1) Avro Tutor 621 
2) Avro 621 Trainer
3) Avro 621
7) Avro 646 Sea Tutor
9) Avro / PWS-18 *Polish built under license

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Er, yes, what Roman says. :blush:

Sorry about that.  It was a while ago when I downloaded it as I had it shortly after release.  The "FSX native" ones didn't come up when I searched for it so I decided it had to have been the one I linked originally.

Thanks for the correction Roman :wacko:

• Like 1

NOTAM

At Popham EGHP, the normal runway is 26/08.  Use of the second runway 21/03 is restricted.  Most often, the runway in use will be 26.  The approach to 26 is offset to avoid a petrol (gas) station just off the end of the runway. There is a white arrow painted on the ground in the field just north of the petrol station to show the correct approach.  In the Orbx Popham addon scenery, this is all modelled and the approach can be flown correctly.  It's a little harder than it looks at first; the runway is short and slopes uphill a little; long landings will end badly!

Chart on the Popham airfield website:

https://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/copy-of-airfield-information

For maximum enjoyment of today's flight, my suggestion is to set date and weather to 21st June 2019, with a start time of 1730 local. This will put us into Shoreham just as dusk is falling.  I'm not a fan of the Orbx autumn/fall textures for England, just a personal preference, to me the spring and summer look much better.

Wow!
My front seater, Nigel Tufnel, 😝  really went bezerk with his Brownie camera!
He snapped just a little over 85 shots, but only 67 made the cut.. 😭
Can understand why... What a flight! - Thanks Nick!  👍
Enjoyable is an understatement !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Shoreham_Sunset.jpg?dl=1
The Shoreham Sunset. Thanks to Nick and Gunter for putting together such a wonderful flight. And to everyone for making it a barrel of fun.
(Just one to cap off Roman's screenshots!)

--M

• Like 2

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

#49 of 69 made it to my desktop. 👍 it was a toss up between that and several other. Photogenic little buggers aren't they? :smile:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

That was a pretty special flight. Fun formation with Roman, our fearless flight leader.

I recall some talk about flying around Australia - maybe need to do some back country flying in these birds over a couple of weeks.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Very nice shots Roman, and lots of beautiful airplanes around!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider