Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Realtek Audio Driver and Nvidia Audio Driver

Hi,

I've been wondering about this for some time, and I wonder if these could cause conflicts. I have the Nvidia video graphics card Ge Force GTX-960. I've noticed that every time I download a new driver for my graphics card, it includes the Nvidia HD Audio driver. But I also have the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, which has been installed on this computer for years. I've noticed that the sounds have not been the same in FS and I'm wondering if it's because I have 2 audio drivers installed on this system, and they're causing conflicts. Do I need to uninstall the Nvidia audio driver? It's strange to me why a video graphics card would have an audio driver in the first place, and it seems to me they should be separate drivers.

Ken. Manning

Edited by kmanning

I always thought the HD Audio drivers were for your monitors speakers.  Which I never use.

1 hour ago, kpan said:

I always thought the HD Audio drivers were for your monitors speakers.  Which I never use.

You're probably correct. I didn't think about monitors having speakers because I never use them either. For the past few years, Nvidia has been including audio drivers in their graphics cards downloads, and I don't recall seeing that included in the older graphics cards I had. Maybe it depends on the type of graphics card one has installed. I always thought that the video and audio signals go to their respective hardware, that it, video signals go to a graphics card, and the audio signal goes to an audio hardware, rather that be an onboard audio on the motherboard, or an audio card like Sound Blaster. I just wanted to be sure that having these 2 audio drivers are not conflicting each other. That would be like having 2 video drivers installed on your computer, and you don't need but one.

Nothing to do with if your monitor has speakers or not. The Nvidia audio drivers are used to provide audio through the hdmi out on your videocard. The RealTek drivers are for your motherboard's onboard audio. They are independent of each other.

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Dave's correct. The hdmi or displayport cable from the GPU can carry sound to the monitor speakers. A lot of modern monitors with speakers use that method so a separate cable isn't required to connect them up like we do with a 2.1 setup or something like that plugged into the output from the soundcard or the motherboard sound socket. Another driver might similarly channel sound through Bluetooth to for instance, a soundbar, so no cable is required. Multiple sound drivers is normal.

Going back to your thinking maybe the sounds have changed since. Check out the sounds control panel. Have a play with the default outputs, and check there for changes that may have affected the sounds like bass cutoff frequency as an example.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

20 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Nothing to do with if your monitor has speakers or not. The Nvidia audio drivers are used to provide audio through the hdmi out on your videocard. The RealTek drivers are for your motherboard's onboard audio. They are independent of each other.

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't think it had anything to do with rather one has a monitor speaker or not. So, the Nvidia audio drivers are independent of the Realtek, so I shouldn't be concerned about this driver being installed and conflicting with Realtek.

Ken.

Edited by kmanning
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, SteveW said:

A lot of modern monitors with speakers use that method so a separate cable isn't required to connect them up like we do with a 2.1 setup or something like that plugged into the output from the soundcard or the motherboard sound socket.

Yes, the 2.1 or better is what I prefer.

20 hours ago, SteveW said:

Going back to your thinking maybe the sounds have changed since. Check out the sounds control panel. Have a play with the default outputs, and check there for changes that may have affected the sounds like bass cutoff frequency as an example.

I've checked that and everything seems to look okay there. I may not be correct as to when the sounds have changed, but I've noticed that, for example, when I switch from the cockpit view to spot view, the sounds remain the same, and doesn't have the louder and outside sound effects. I even hear sounds that doesn't sound normal, kind of like low level background noise. I have the same problem in both FSX and P3D, so that seems to suggest something outside the sim.

Ken. Manning

Edited by kmanning

Hi Ken, on the task bar on the desktop (where running apps show a button) click on the tiny speaker icon and it should pop up the volume control. Also on this control is an arrow to open up the control to show more items. That will list the possible outputs you have there for the sound. Try those out and see if the sound changes on those.

@kmanning - further to what SteveW said, with the sim running, right-click the small speaker and select "Open Volume mixer" from the pop-up menu. There should be a volume control for the sim. Make sure that it's as high as it will go - it will be limited to the device volume in the left-hand column which controls the maximum volume of your system.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Ken, another thing can happen to sound when various programs use sound leaving it not right after use. Try rebooting and go straight into P3D to see if starting up fresh changes anything. Also in Task Manager start up section, you can try disabling certain items to see if affecting the sound and reboot again. Also an addon could feasibly do something, so try a different aircraft and without certain addons if you have anything in the mix.

5 hours ago, SteveW said:

Ken, another thing can happen to sound when various programs use sound leaving it not right after use. Try rebooting and go straight into P3D to see if starting up fresh changes anything. Also in Task Manager start up section, you can try disabling certain items to see if affecting the sound and reboot again. Also an addon could feasibly do something, so try a different aircraft and without certain addons if you have anything in the mix.

Hi Steve,

I tried flying one of the PMDG aircrafts last night and the sounds were okay. Apparently, it must have been one of the other addon aircrafts, but I don't remember which one. So, it's not outside the sim, as a stated the first time. I'll be trying several of the aircrafts and see which one it is when I get a chance. When I come across that aircraft, I'll post it here.

Ken.

10 hours ago, vortex681 said:

@kmanning - further to what SteveW said, with the sim running, right-click the small speaker and select "Open Volume mixer" from the pop-up menu. There should be a volume control for the sim. Make sure that it's as high as it will go - it will be limited to the device volume in the left-hand column which controls the maximum volume of your system.

I'll check that as well.

Ken.