Sign in to follow this  

I was posting earlier today in a thread on water vs air cooling and I took a quick look see at my own system to make a point about air cooling and over clocking the cpu.

I made this video to illustrate a point and as an aside I noticed that my 1080ti was the bottle neck in my 8086K at 5.3ghz on all 6 cores system.

If anyone with a similar system i.e. an 8700k or 8086K firing at 5.2 or 5.3ghz  with a 1080ti upgraded to a 2080ti could comment, I'd love to hear from you.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:47 PM, Avidean said:

I made this video to illustrate a point and as an aside I noticed that my 1080ti was the bottle neck in my 8086K at 5.3ghz on all 6 cores system.

We have massive adjustability in the sim to offset this sort of thing:  modify driver settings a bit, dial back shadow quality and distances a bit until your entire system is in sync and voila you're ahead $1000-$1500 and I'll bet you in a double-blinded test you'd not notice the difference.  I assume that is not the opinion/info you were after but I couldn't help it!   

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

+1

I am seeing the same thing. When at a payware airport all 6 cores @ 5Ghz (and even only @ 4.7)  I can easily max out my RTX2080 both ram and power level. Granted the Ti has 3 more gigs of ram but I can max out the 8 I have and I actually had to increase the power level to 120%. Just to keep up with the processor. Still @ 120% I can hit the power limit EASILY. I have a lot of airflow in my case, I do not recommended doing this for those with smaller cases.

Its actually worse in other games.. Battle Front II for you Star Wars fans out there will use up 8 no problem and crash so I have to back down the settings... Needless to say my next card will be a RTX3080Ti...

Edited by TurboKen

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Are you on air with that OC? That's pretty impressive.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 hours ago, Noel said:

We have massive adjustability in the sim to offset this sort of thing:  modify driver settings a bit, dial back shadow quality and distances a bit until your entire system is in sync and voila you're ahead $1000-$1500 and I'll bet you in a double-blinded test you'd not notice the difference.  I assume that is not the opinion/info you were after but I couldn't help it!   

Actually I am on my way out the door to pick up the 2080ti any minute so I'll give the feedback that I asked for in my own post.😁

27 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

Are you on air with that OC? That's pretty impressive.

Yes I am and it is impressive! 😁

please let us know.  I'm also a 1080ti user who regularly sees my maxed out.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

38 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Actually I am on my way out the door to pick up the 2080ti any minute so I'll give the feedback that I asked for in my own post.

Sounds like a really unimpressive way to spend a big chunk of change--good luck.  I'd seriously be looking at this if you already have the very capable 1080 Ti sounds like it could a be a no brainer:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68455/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-more-vram-way-faster-cheaper/index.html

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Well I got the card. Here is some background. It was the only one for sale used on the island I live on.😁 Did some negotiation with the guy and he came down from CAD$1450 to CAD$1250 (that's US$940 for reference) and agreed that for the remainder of the warranty (1 year) that he would RMA it for me if required. Anyway, I saw the guys rig when I picked up the 2080ti. Very flash and he admitted to me that he replaced the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition with another 2080ti with RGB. The ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition has no LED's thank God! 😁. And he took the opportunity to replace it because he had to RMA the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition he originally bought. I got the relacement! So the one I got is straight from Asus in the last week or so. New here in Canada the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition is about CAD$1800 inclusive of tax. After I complete the Comparison I figure I'll get about CAD$800 for Asus 1080ti Strix and it owes me nothing just like the Evga 980ti that went before it. So as I see it the net cost to me for the 2080ti is going to be about CAD$450. I used to always build my systems from used parts. I only broke that rule when I built a Haswell system in 2013. That one was the game changer and still is. Everything in that system was new. There are some new parts in my current system and some used parts and some recycled parts from the previous system. Anyway as it stands now its: 8086K at 5.3ghz (previously used) on a Maximus X Apex (previously used) with 2 x 8gb G.Skill 4400mhz Cl17 DRAM (new) ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC edition (previously Used/New), 3 x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2 (New) all the rest of the parts, Case, PSU, CPU cooler are recycled from previous build. Over the next few days I'll post 1080ti and 2080ti comparisons with a particular emphasis on dawn, dusk and weather.

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 1

thanks.  Will be watching this thread

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

OK, The way I will do this is post 2 videos for each Card. Each video will be the same scenario. A2A Cherokee from KORD to KCGX at noon on May 21st 2019. The weather was lousy in Chicago that day. First video will be with the the weather Engine off and the weather set to clear sky in the sim and the second video will be with Active sky on with historic weather. I'll do bought video for each card. I predict  the there won't be any performance difference difference between between the Cards with the weather set to clear Sky since I already know that CPU Core0 in the high 90's is the bottle neck there. The test of weather the upgrade to the 2080ti was worth in the CAD$450 ballpark will be to see its performance with the bad weather. I already know that the GPU in this scenario with the bad weather is the bottle neck and its gone be on 99% for the whole time.

If it turns out that the bad weather performance of the is significantly better with 2080ti I will continues to try bad weather at Dawn and Dusk in the same scenario. I an recording the videos live so they will not be identical. I'm not interested in making a scentific comparison. If the differance is not completely obvious then the upgrade if it where for P3D V4.5 alone would have been a waste of money.

Video 1. Clear Sky 1080ti:

OK, this is the same time same day only Active Sky is producing the historic weather. Not that the GPU is not the bottle neck. The one thing I notices was that the CPU Core0 seemed to be around 70% when the frame rate was around 20fps so I am hoping that if the 2080ti has sufficient overhead to get core zero back up in high 90''s we might see 30fps in 2080ti equivalent video of the 20fps in the 1080ti video.

Video 2. Active Sky historic weather 1080ti:

Just as an aside I was going to do the clear sky flight again at dusk but I decided I want to cut to the chase. For the record at dawn at the gate the GPU jumped to the 90's compared to 70's at noon. Opening frame rate of 36-37fps was the same in both cases the CPU Core0 pushing 100%

Now It's time to pull the 1080ti and put the 2080ti back in its place 😁

Edited by Avidean
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to seeing how the 2080Ti does compared to the 1080Ti

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.