Sign in to follow this  

Stop eating those thanksgiving leftovers and get back on it. :laugh:

Great presentation so far.

Ted

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

so what is the verdict?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Sorry, There was a drama! I got the 2080ti used and it didn't take long for me to figure that something was up! It's been RMA'ed.

Asus has it right now. So far its the worst buying used hardware experience I've had in many years. The seller has been very good about it though and we worked something out. So long as I get a good GPU back from ASUS its all good. Should have it by the end of next week at the latest. I'll have to start again though because in the course of figuring out what was wrong with the GPU, I updated the driver, I did a complete Windows 10 update, I updated My Mother board bios etc. So its best to just ignore the videos. I'll us the same scenario and I'll try to make it more apples to apples but I'm having a problem with the Prepar3D record/playback feature under the analysis tab. I posted it here but no replies:

Maybe @Rob_Ainscough can shed some light on it

If anyone is interested in the issue with the card. This is exactly it:

Right now I am fiddling with my new Samsung Odyssey+ 😁

Edited by Avidean

What are your AA, HDR, and cloud res settings in the bad weather scenario?

Bad wx isn't hitting my 1080ti nearly that hard.  I was shocked to see your low performance.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 12/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, Avidean said:

Sorry, There was a drama! I got the 2080ti used and it didn't take long for me to figure that something was up! It's been RMA'ed.

Ahhhh, the best laid plans of mice and men.  Standing by, I understand how it is when a new video card fails.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

19 hours ago, Mace said:

What are your AA, HDR, and cloud res settings in the bad weather scenario?

Bad wx isn't hitting my 1080ti nearly that hard.  I was shocked to see your low performance.

Well, that's not really the point of the thread. Sure I can dial back the setting to achieve better performance.

But what I am looking at while I have both a 1080ti and a 2080ti is to what extent the 2080ti is better than the 1080ti in bad weather.

Its already been pretty well established that if you are not running a 4K monitor the CPU on your system will bottle neck before a 1080ti in fair weather with high setting across the board. But that is not necessarily the case with overcast, Dawn or Dusk  scenarios. Then with the same settings a 1080ti GPU is likely to become the bottle neck.

There are lots of threads that anecdotally suggest for a 1080p resolution there is generally no performance gain from 1080ti to 2080ti except in overcast conditions or at dawn and dusk.

So I want to test that while I have both cards. And If there is, is it significant enough to make the upgrade worth it.

The value I would put on the upgrade is CAD$450 because I paid CAD$1200 for the 2080ti and I anticipate getting at least CAD $750 for my 1080ti. It all then comes down to what you get for your CAD$450.

I can say that I already know that the 2080ti I got despite being stuck at 1350Mhz delivered as good performance as my 1080ti at 1950Mhz. I suppose just for in the meantime I could run the clear sky scenario on my 1080ti set to 1350mhz just for the sake of a right comparison.

RMA status indicates a shipping date in the middle of next week. So I am not likely to get the card before the week after that. 😞

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

Well, that's not really the point of the thread. Sure I can dial back the setting to achieve better performance.

Really it ultimately is on point, because my visuals match yours and I'm getting better performance with the same card (1080ti).  That's why your lower perf is so inexplicable to me.  Maybe my eyes deceive me though.  It's sometimes hard to tell visuals on yt videos.

Your comparison will be invaluable.  Thanks for what you have done with this.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have a 6.5y/o GTX Titan original paired w/ a 6.5y/o i7-3930K.  The impact is severe on GPU utilization when just about any of lighting sliders are even enabled let alone slid to the right, like terrain/cloud shadows as well as Dynamic Reflections, and that is with low quality shadows.  And I'm running a very modest FSAA = 0, MSAA = 2, and anisotropic at 16, and that feeds a 3440x1440 screen running at 30mHz vert refresh.  An RTX2080Ti according to Passmark is going to be a little over double the performance of my GTX Titan.  Now that also is irrespective of a serious upgrade in CPU to 9900K or what have you.  But anyway, I have to believe the difference in P3D is just not going to be that large based on just how poorly the Titan runs vis a vis the GPU related sliders.  I'm hope to wait for 3080Ti to give a better chance of decent improvement. 

The other both fortuitous and unfortunate reality is that these same sliders only seem to offer marginal improvement in the eye candy department anyway.  I hope MSFS2020 implements some really good GPU-driven features that are far more efficient and more impressive.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I got my 2080ti back from RMA today. It looks like they sent me a brand new one. No retail packaging but all the plastic stickies that have to be removed are on there. and the IO plate has no retaining screw marks and the pins look like it has never been installed 🙂 I know its not the one I sent them so It sure looks like I am getting a new 2080ti for CAD$1200 and with a year left on the warranty. I know this card has had a rep for being faulty.

Anyway, I'll have to start the comparison with the 1080ti again for reasons explained earlier. Here's what I'm going to do:

1. using a clear skies scenario where the CPU is the bottle neck compare the 1080ti to the 2080ti. The predicted outcome is that there is mo value for money improvement in performance. In fact there won't be any discernible improvement in performance at all.

2. Add bad weather to the same scenario so that the GPU is then the bottleneck and compare the 1080ti to the 2080ti. The predicted outcome is that there is an improvement in performance. The question will be is that improvement a value for money improvement?

3. A comparison between the 1080ti and 2080ti at dawn or dusk with Broken cloud and all shadows ticked.

3. Compare the 1080ti to the 2080ti in a VR setting.

I'm just going to post the videos as I make them. You can draw your own conclusion.

Here are the for comparison videos. The 1080ti at approximately 1950Mhz is at play here. HW monitor shows CPU usage and ASUS GPU tweak II shows GPU usage. In the VR Video I also used fpsVR.

The following post will be the same scenario with the same conditions as these except with the 2080ti

Everything will be the same, same setting etc. Only I will be flying the scenario so it won’t be identical. I cannot use a playback of a recorded flight because it appears now in V4.5 HF2 that playbacks do not exhibit the same performance as when the recording was made. I.e. When I see 30fps when making a recording, I see about 20fps at the same place in the playback. Go figure!

Note that the GPU is more or less the bottle neck in the last 3 Videos. The CPU is the bottle neck in the clear skies at noon video. The first three videos all have exactly the same display setting. The VR video has my optimal VR setting. I'll use all the same settings for the equivalent 2080ti videos

I hope to have the 2080ti installed and overclocked to at least the same level as my 1080ti i.e. running at, at least 1950mhz. Should get the time to do all that by Sunday evening.

Edited by Avidean

Spoiler Alert! I have some bad news for the naysayers as far as the 2080ti is concerned!🤣😁

I haven't done the video yet but I decided to jump right in and test the overcast noon scenario in video no.2 above with the 2080ti.

First I deleted the shadders and reinstalled drivers etc. The 2080ti restores the performance in the overcast scenario to the level of the performance of the clear sky scenario in video 1. And it did it handily. CPU Core 0 was pegged to 100% for virtually the entire flight while the GPU while hitting 99% spikes the odd time was down in the 80's and low 90's most of the flight. So the bottle neck is shifted back to the CPU. I will guess that once the 2 videos are put side by side in some instances the FPS will be nearly double with the 2080ti. So the anecdotal stories of 100% performance improvement in bad weather and other GPU demanding scenarios are true. Granted I think you need a big fat CPU overclock to get the benefit. Based on what I've seen so far and assuming I get at least CAD$750 for my 1080ti I would say the used 2080ti for CAD $1200 was well worth the money since it only costs me the difference. And its not even used because the faulty GPU turned out to be a blessing in disguise because they RMA'ed me a brand new card. Thanks for watching.😁🤣

Video evidence to follow.

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 2

That's great you got a new card out of it.  My concern is the GPU-related sliders handily will kill anything that you can throw at them.  Also what's bizarre is my 16 y/o vanilla GTX Titan w/ 6Gb GDR doesn't seem to flinch in weather of any kind--but that is because I have disabled the cloud and shadow sliders which hopefully you have enabled and set fairly high yes?  I'm still running strong enough to enjoy flying which I do nearly daily now for 20+ years so hopefully I will make it until 3080Ti debuts and build a new system them.  Ryzen 3950x might be the way to go?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X