Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

8 core performance worse than 4 core?

Hello everyone,

first, I know the hardware I am talking about here is older, but it serves my purpose and with FS2020 around the corner, I still to FSX and AMD to save money, no matter how many people say "get intel".

I was running a 965BE with zalman water cooling at 4,1 Ghz in stock voltage for almost 8 years now and it handled FSX pretty well, although especially with ORBX scenery I was sometimes getting blurry textures.
Since I had the opportunity to get my hands on an FX8350, I installed it in my system, using 254 as affinity mask. Also, that CPU runs at the same speed as my old CPU, but by default. So i hoped to get the same performance but at much lower temperatures.

So I dont know if this is me, but I have the impression that in heavy load areas like ORBX SoCal, using a complex Addon plane, my frames drop to like 1 - 3, something that didnt happen to me using the 965 OC'ed to the same speed. (Flaming prevention: I know that FPS is supposed to drop in such scenarios, but the sim gets unplayable and starts reminding me in my first tries back in 2008.)

I am running Win7 64bit, 16 Gigs of DDR3 1600 RAM.

My suspicion is that I need to try other AM settings in the FSX.cfg. Anyone has an Idea?

Edited by Soulflight

I don't know what AffinityMask setting would be best for that CPU or why the frame drops are that bad, but just for your information, the FX series have worse IPC than Phenom II. So you'd have to clock it higher in order to match the performance of your old CPU. The good thing is that the FX CPUs have plenty of overclocking headroom, which should give you a nice boost.

Not for me, OCing via multiplier doesnt go anywhere beyond 4,1 Ghz without causing cores in prime95 to fail. (missing Voltage) or the machine to freeze during testing. I blame the MoBo for this though, as temps are around 45 Degrees when benchmarked....

EDIT: i actually got back to using the 965, Iearned something about the settings getting it to 4,2 Ghz and the 8350 cant nearly compete performance-wise in FSX. Its going to be on ebay soon and ill just save for the big upgrade.

Edited by Soulflight