Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

EP#3 Aerodynamics is staggering

Watch it seated on a chair because you may fall on your behind.  After 40 years of trials and errors, we may have, at last, a true home flight simulator ! 

Now we are cooking, FS20 is not  about having the National Geographic in our sim to enjoy the view, what Sébastien shows is that they are building a total new animal with simcraft actually flying through the air.

For instance, I love to fly in mountainous areas for the landscape and  the challenge of navigation and approach  but I know that our present sims are not very good at rendering the physics of the flight through the airflows modeled by slopes and ridges. This is the past. Now the true challenge will be flying.

• Like 20
  • Upvote 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

We may now need to make sure we have some airsick bags nearby when flying around the TCU's and mountains!!🤢

Another great video by Asobo as I am yet again left dumbfounded by what I'm seeing.....

• Like 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

This is OFF THE HOOK

Seriously - anyone not excited - over the moon thrilled - with what this is shaping up to be, I don't understand you..

This is my favorite video of *all* of them.  This environmental stuff is truly revolutionary.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Also, yet another shout out to Asobo and how great their presenters have been.

It's incredibly engaging, light hearted but yet content filled and just immensely satisfying to take in.

You can tell they LOVE this.

• Like 5

For instance, I love to fly in mountainous areas for the landscape and  the challenge of navigation and approach  but I know that our present sims are not very good at rendering the physics of the flight through the airflows modeled by slopes and ridges. This is the past. Now the true challenge will be flying.

Or just imagine how you fly a rescue mission in the mountains or in a city on a skyscraper in a helicopter (once they have it) and you have to be careful of all those up- and downdrafts...

Edited by DocBird
  • Like 4

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Its just incredible! The info of air and particle flow was the most interesting for me, i know the danger of luv & lee flying at mountains

as a paraglider, never seen this simulated before, hehe oh dear now i really cant wait any much, much longer to get my hands on this  😂

...now back replaying the video!!

• Like 1

Well as someone who has taken a wait and see attitude 😉 I must say based on this vid they now have my full attention! It is great to see that they are at the very least trying to get the nuts and bolts correct. The fact that there will be a separate legacy mode is very important. One huge question for me has been... how can they upgrade things very much and still claim that a lot of the old models from FSX etc. will still be compatible. Now we know and that is great news and a game changer in my mind. 

Edited by shivers9
Just moving to main thread here.
  • Like 4

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

45 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

Its just incredible! The info of air and particle flow was the most interesting for me, i know the danger of luv & lee flying at mountains

as a paraglider, never seen this simulated before, hehe oh dear now i really cant wait any much, much longer to get my hands on this  😂

...now back replaying the video!!

Exactly, gliders, paragliders, Cub, a whole new ballgame.

• Like 6

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

Exactly, gliders, paragliders, Cub, a whole new ballgame.

First time I've actually been excited to bush fly.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, domkle said:

I'm not a pilot but I presume wind shear ("down draft" ?) on final approach can be an issue sometimes.

In the real world how do pilots accommodate for this?  Fly the approach slightly steeper than normal? Keep the engine revving higher (but feather the prop?) in case you need to quickly add power and gain lift to compensate?  Just wondering....

So maybe approaches in FS2020 will be a little treacherous under certain conditions?

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

9 minutes ago, kaiprt said:

First time I've actually been excited to bush fly.

Me too...and not just because of the aero but also because of the scenery.

Alaska, Australia, Africa... seems like the choices "out of the box" are unlimited.

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 1

Matthew S

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

I'm not a pilot but I presume wind shear ("down draft" ?) on final approach can be an issue sometimes.

In the real world how do pilots accommodate for this?  Fly the approach slightly steeper than normal? Keep the engine revving higher (but feather the prop?) in case you need to quickly add power and gain lift to compensate?  Just wondering....

So maybe approaches in FS2020 will be a little treacherous under certain conditions?

Wind shear is a change in wind direction and or speed. It can be vertical or horizontal. It's usually horizontal in my limited GA flying experience. I would fly the approach at a faster speed so not to stall the plane with a change in wind direction. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I'm a bit skeptical, as the wings of the a320 are rigid. They do not move vertically one millimeter. 

1 hour ago, Pitbull2504 said:

I'm a bit skeptical, as the wings of the a320 are rigid. They do not move vertically one millimeter. 

The 747 doesn't seem to have wing flex either.   I very much doubt any of the default aircraft in FS2020 are study level.... But that's why PMDG (etc) are successful.

Matthew S