Sign in to follow this  
Guest dutton

what ai package works in fsx?

Guest charlesk

Anyone have any ideas what i should install for ai?

Guest dutton

I just finished copying over all of my ai (World of AI, Ultimate Traffic & MRAI flight plans). I will let you know how they work. Off to fly again!duttonhttp://dutton.fsblogger.com/

This is only from testing with the demo and the fileplanet beta - I don't have the retail version yet.Basically - FS2004 AI aircraft, AI traffic files created with TrafficTools and FS2004 AFCAD files will work acceptably in FSX.Some issues -(1) Many AI aircraft (especially the AIA B747's) will require modifications to the aircraft.cfg file - the airplane_geometry section - wing_span= value is used in the parking decision.This value must be in feet - and 1/2 that value is rounded up to full meters for the parking value.Many AI aircraft will overlap wing with their FS2004 settings.(2) Remove the panel folder from any AI aircraft folder - that will stop it appearing the Select Aircraft menu(3) Default FSX GATE parking spaces have changedThey are:Gate Small - 18MGate Medium - 23MGate Heavy - 36MSurprisingly this will not be a major issue - except that your FS2004 AFCAD files will have aircraft too far apart.(4) Do not use AFCAD files with overlapping heavy gate parking spaces - those draw lines on the airport apron and look terrible(5) Most AFCAD files will not lineup with the FSX scenery(6) Do not copy your AI aircraft into the SimObjectsAirplanes folder - you can have multiple aircraft folders in FSX by editing the FSX.cfg file.Recommend you edit the Main section to add SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjectsAI_Aircraft and place all your AI aircaft in a new folder named AI_Aircraft under SimObjects

>This is only from testing with the demo and the fileplanet>beta - I don't have the retail version yet.>>Basically - FS2004 AI aircraft, AI traffic files created with>TrafficTools and FS2004 AFCAD files will work acceptably in>FSX.>>Some issues ->-SNIP->(2) Remove the panel folder from any AI aircraft folder - that>will stop it appearing the Select Aircraft menu> This is a good addition...-SNIP->(5) Most AFCAD files will not lineup with the FSX scenery> ???...this is NOT good... Could you expound on this a bit? Is there a change in the way the coordinate data is interpreted?>(6) Do not copy your AI aircraft into the SimObjectsAirplanes>folder - you can have multiple aircraft folders in FSX by>editing the FSX.cfg file.> Can these folders be located in other directories or on other drives, as the scenery files in FS9 can now? Paul

Wide-5.jpg

1. AFCAD files - FSX uses a different "world" than FS2004 - and many items line up differently.Also the default buildings are a bit different in many places - and there are a lot of airports with jetways.One of the major issues which was noticable in FS2004 and will be more noticable in FSX is that a great many of the world's airports are not surveyed as accurately in the real world as the number of decimal places in FS.Almost every airports has some updates from FS2004 - more detail in most cases.The good news - FSUIPC beta will transmit aircraft location data to the AFCAD program from FSX - so you can do updates.However, AFCAD files are not fully compliant with FS2004 and even more out of spec for FSX.Eventually a new program will be out and we can do airport data right (not an AFCAD update - more a scenery program)At many smaller airports you will not need AFCAD files - the extra parking is already there.2. There are six "aircraft" folders under the SimObjects folder - airplanes, rotorcraft, animals, boats, groundvehicles & Misc.People have been successful at pointing to a seventh folder on other hard drives, even to their FS2004 aircraft folder (which would be a bad idea because all the non-FSX flyable aircraft are going to drag down FSX loading).So the answer appears to be YES.Gauges and Effects appear to still be in the same locations - though I'm going to only put FS2004 aircraft gauges in that individual aircrft panel folder.