Sign in to follow this  
Guest beana51

How could any GA pilot be this.....

I was looking at CNN today only to find pictures of a couple of airports with Cessna's and Cirrus's turned upside down from Hurricane Wilma. Why in the world would any GA pilot leave his plane out in the open with a CAT 2 Hurricane heading for his home and local airport? You would think when the word goes out about a major storm that pilots would fly their aircraft to a safer location until the storm past. If I owned an aircraft like a C182 (let alone a Cirrus) I wouldn't let my investment sit around and wait for an insurance claim. The more you file claims the more likely you

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Maybe people who get tired of fleeing every few months, it happens.Or businesspeople out of the country who forgot they had a Cessna sitting out in the open there.Or people who for some reason couldn't get away in time, or had to choose between driving their extended families north or save their aircraft (OK, I know what some of us would choose, these people apparently chose different :+).

Guest beana51

Of course you guys are correct. Ditto for the boats.There are very many of them just left tied to the docks,then they just go away.Then again where can you go.Last year,after Hurricane Charlie,I visited, Punta Gorda KPGD,and seen the wrecked hangers,and what was left of them.This was true all over this area. It was pointed out to me the ,that tire marks were on the inside of a hanger roof.?? What power that is. There are many retired people here. Difficult for them to hop around. When it comes to aviation, "MYFUNDSALO" is a serous consideration for many.Then again looking out for ones family safety comes first. Yes,it is sad to see so many fine aircraft busted up. Of course many of all type of vehicles are included in this ."JUST AIN'T FAIR" VIN

The problem is often where do you go - and is the airplane more important than the rest of your family.If I had owned an expensive boat in Houston late in September - I would have moved it to Lake Charles Louisiana with Rita predicted to come ashore closer to Corpus. But to move such a boat, I would have had to leave my son and his family to weather out the storm in their evacuation area 1 home.Many people with small aircraft in areas like Florida will have a choice to make - spend $500-$1,000 flying the aircraft out and expect the wife to weather the storm alone, or evacuate alone.Or spend about twice that trying to get back to Florida, and then trying to evacuate the family.One of the most consistent complaints while I was in the military was pilots who did not like leaving their families behind when hurricanes hit, because they had to fly out aircraft.Many people get their aircraft out, but from what my step-son in Fort Lauderdale tells me - most small aircraft weather the storms in hangers - and the owners hope the insurance will cover any damage.

Hi Les,To some it's 'easy come, easy go'. What to you and I means a lot, dosen't always mean that much to others?It's all about values. If you work hard to get something, you'll look after it, if you don't graft and money comes easy, you don't bother and leave the insurance companies to do all the work.Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest beana51

HI Les, Please understand I agree with you.Owning a plane ,a racehorse,a large boat,and other "Toys" is a big responsibility.Often the ownership represents great finical sacrifices. From my only experiences with natural disasters,was coming down here in the boneyard.In the wilds of rural NY state we merely had Ice, Snow ,Hail,Nor'easter,and blizzards. A piece of cake ,compared to these destructive hurricanes. Chain tie downs,soft brooms to remove snow,the hanger for extreme conditions,pre heat starts, and you survived. Hail ,was the big concern. At 2094 msl,no problem with flooding.Your correct,the affluent ,take precautions,the very rich can absorb adversity easier.The young ,will take any action needed to do the right thing to protect his plane,often with help. However ,many here are not young,not wealthy,no help, and more marginal . Some Ole pilots, sailors,and grunts, try to hold on to the things they always have loved. Often they live in marginal homes,with spouses who are marginal also.These former hot shots don't ask for much.Many have paid their dues, and ask for nothing,and don't complain.Trully "The Greatest Generation",whats left of them.Its very sad to see these OLE guys looking at their properties,and dreams, destroyed in only few hours. The cycles of weather are changing here in Fla. We may look forward for many years of bad weather.This will continue to happen.Now that the so called baby boomer's are coming here in large numbers,withtheir toys,they face this problem too.I hope they learn these lessons. The insurance question ,like all the problems here is a great concern. No body gives you something or nothing! But the bottom line is ,these guys are tough,they seen worse,many of them, they rebuild, repair,replace as best they could an get on with it.When your in the "DOO DOO"up to your lower lip, you don't smell it.You will need others to tell you you ,well,you don't smell so good.Sorry I went on here. Many of us just dogged a bullet.However many others did not. REGARDS, STAY WELL,LIVE LONG!! CHEERS :-beerchug VIN