Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

FS in 1st Person POV...

Why do we need a different program altogether? Bill Lyons did this years ago when he added the skier and skater models.It's not like we're forcing you to use this method. I think the idea of making a career mode is cool, but it is not necessary. Parking your airplanes at an airport might require a little set up, but, it could even automate parking of your fleet at any airport you go to. Of course, I'd like the option of choosing where the planes are parked, too, and probably which planes are parked. And I'd like it to be smart enough to know not to put my floatplane on the tarmac :) . I'd even like the option of having a different fleet at different airports.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Well you could say why do we have external views while in the air?!THIS is extremly unrealistic and has nothing to do with simulation! But it's still fun and I like the external views. :-roll In fact I think a FPS view while grounded is the only realistic view for a pilot to see his aircraft from the outside. :-hah

Guest Babubhai

>Well you could say why do we have external views while in the>air?!>THIS is extremly unrealistic and has nothing to do with>simulation! But it's still fun and I like the external views.>:-roll >In fact I think a FPS view while grounded is the only>realistic view for a pilot to see his aircraft from the>outside. :-hah You didnt get my point. I think people on this topic are forgetting what flight simulator is.Flight Sim is about flying aircraft. Different types of aircraft in different scenarios. What you guys are talking here is some kind of airport simulation. Which is different from flight simulator and what you need is something else which fits this purpose.

Guest BOPrey

LoL. Well, we can still have Ctr-E to have a ghost to do the walkround. Personally, I like the walkround to remove the locks myself. If would be funny if the elevator jams or speed indicator is showing wrong numbers because he skipped a few checks.

"What you guys are talking here is some kind of airport simulation. Which is different from flight simulator and what you need is something else which fits this purpose."It's been forty years since I first flew, in a Lockheed Electra. That fired up a love of aviation in my then five year old imagination which has lasted to this day. And I still am amused when people come in and define "flight" as if it has a fixed meaning. It doesn't. "Flight" existed long before there were airplanes. One trillion birds and insects couldn't be wrong.Whether you're a passive observer or in the cockpit, behind a FMS or dangling under a Trike, you are experiencing flight. Whether you're watching on the ground, walking around the tarmac, or staring at the wing, you are using the sim for just as much a valid purpose as the simmer who is logged into VATSIM from morning to dusk.I think the member here asked a pretty innocent question, and still it fires up debate and snide comments "What are you lot on?" and "Excellent for twelve year olds" that don't belong, in my opinion, in any forum that celebrates a product that celebrates flight. I think the best answer is "I wouldn't use the sim that way" and leave it at that. But ultimately this sim is an entertainment title. All the eye candy is there for a reason--to sell copies of a product that subsidizes our greater interest in aviation. Most of us are "hard core" here, many of us spend time in real aircraft. I actually find the question asked in this tread pretty intuitive. For me, walking out to the Allegro or Kitfox to do a preflight, getting a whiff of Avgas, watching the aircraft in the pattern--is as breathtaking as that first sign of the wings feeling light or a final with crosswinds. I love Flight. I don't have to be in the air all the time to be part of Flight.-John

I think it's a good idea as well, FS has always cried out for some form of career mode. Look at the popularity of VA's and FSpassengers along with FSEconomy. Sometimes just jumping in and flying between point A and B gets a bit boring, it would be nice to have a personalized aircraft that one must maintain via maintanence etc.... I know some payware have this already but expanding on that to include walkarounds (a very pivotal part of GA) isn't as stupid as one may think.Even just a button to simulate an external inspection prior to starting the engine is a good idea, keeps with the whole idea of a checklist I've seen some virtual Airline pilots do in some of the videos here on avsim. There should be no limit on imagination with FS, if one uses it for flying or to simulate owning an airline from a small bush outfit to a million dollar business, it's up to each individual to use it as they see fit.Ian.

Good post John, on all points - I am particularly weary of the seeming need of some to denigrate the ideas of others, or even the poster himself - I remember when we were not like this. People who do this have my pity.The original post - I have often thought of this myself, if not seriously - I love everything about flying, from planning and executing a challenging 6000nm headwind-all-the-way flight in the 744 to just hanging around the tarmac at Frankfurt or some other great airport :)Only problem is this how does a big iron flyer enter the cockpit? going to require a lot more modelling of the actual aircraft innards maybe, thus not too practical beyond what we have now with Activecam, W&F or Recorder module.regards,Markhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

And I'm still waiting for the "eau-de-Flight" hardware addon for flight simulator. Each plane and airport could be keyed for a particular set of smells. Now imagine what it would be like walking around the hangar. To me, walking around the airport and talking to people there is half the fun of flying. Could even add a thing that spits castor oil in your face for those open cockpit biplane flights! Then of course you'd have to add stereo scent, and I imagine 5.1 surround scent after that. :)Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

If Its an added feature... SureI'd like that. Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I agree that using it as part of a career mode is a great idea, but I'd want to have a "free-walk" mode, too, as I'd be using the feature as a matter of course. A lot of times I go to the airport just to walk among all the parked planes and check them out. My kids like it to. There's nothing like enjoying a nice sunset out on the tarmac.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

"And I'm still waiting for the "eau-de-Flight" hardware addon for flight simulator.""Soaring over California", the attraction at California Adventure and Epcot, uses just that. Each seat is equipped with an overhead fan which simulates the wind blowing in your face, and the fan is equipped with citrus, pine and "ocean spray" scents. I still consider it hands-down the best attraction and "simulated" ride ever built at any park, and even my daughter is hooked on it. It's a "Flight Simulator" beyond words.-John

Guest wcs33

John,What an excellent response to an interesting and open-minded question that started this thread.I too share early Electra memories with the large Allison props, and with Active Camera, I'll often spend 10 minutes setting up weather, time of day, etc, just to give me the best "prop shot" from the airstairs of JR's new L-188 model.Then, what a thrill to be able to hop in the cockpit and fly the virtual bird.I'm with you all the way....flight is mystical, it evokes freedom and possibilities, flying and dreaming about flying, and writing and reading about flight are all gifts indeed.For those that like to read about such mysteries and wonders, I cannot recommend Richard Bach's anthology, "A Gift of Wings" enough. I takes John's idea of flight and really explores it in so many ways.For me, the sim is just as John says, it is a generalized platform from which each of us can explore the possibilities of flight...and soon with FSX, share in those possibilites.I'd love to share a virtual ride with anyone who loves flight so much! BravoBill SchulzKBDLwww.flyelectra.com

Guest GA Flyer

>You didnt get my point. I think people on this topic are>forgetting what flight simulator is.>>Flight Sim is about flying aircraft. Different types of>aircraft in different scenarios. >>What you guys are talking here is some kind of airport>simulation. Which is different from flight simulator and what>you need is something else which fits this purpose.>>Awais,After 5 replies in this thread to the post...you've made your point that you oppose it. We get it. I personally think its very gamism but love the idea. However, the topic is not to debate the idea just to get an understanding of what the hardcore simmers think.We debated bombs and guns and how it made our beloved sim a combat sim and yet in FSX you can now drop things. Why? Maybe because the non-core simmer will find it fun to do things other than just be a plane.With where we are going with high detail scenery its a great way to get out and see the detail.FSX also offers a tower view and tower controller yet is in the sim so I guess "you" can now call it Airport Simulator. The main benefit I would enjoy of a feature like this is to be able to park a fleet of favorite a/c on the ramp or leave certain ones at different fields to use when I get there. I hate taxing an aircraft onto a helo pad just to swtich a/c into a helo. The point has been made before that FS needs to continue to bring in new users and offering features that crosses over to a more broad crowd which only helps us. Hence the missions and multiplayer features geared towards FSX.I'm not making a point that it should or shouldnt be included just what other simmers think of the idea.

Guest Babubhai

John,Please I don't want an essay on what people's perception of "flight" and "flight simulators" are...Everyone here knows what is meant by flight simulator in general;"A device that simulates the conditions or sensation of flying an aircraft" And I'd prefer if Microsft's flight simulator stays a flight simulator. And not some kind of "life" simulation (like The Sims)Heck what next? Flight attendants that serve you coffee and you can have a chat with..A business management system...And Finally, I am not trying to start a conflict in these forums. I have a right to express my opinions.Some of my comments may look like as if I am bashing people here. But I can assure you I am not bashing anyone.