Sign in to follow this  
Vnavspeed

Rig building for P3D V4 and MSFS 2020

Hello there fellow aviators. I'm thinking about building a new rig for p3d v4 and for the upcoming MSFS 2020. Need some real professional assistance that'd help me save some bucks. The planned setup is as follows:

- CPU O1: I5 9600k - O2: Ryzen 7 2700X

- Cooler: O1: Sycthe Mugen5 - O2: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports

- MOBO: Z390 Chipset or X370

- GPU (really confused) : O1: RX 5700XT - O2: RX 590

- RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200mhz Gskill SniperX

- SSD: 1TB m2 ADATA (TLC memory, 3500/3000mbs)

- PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Screen resolution for now 1920x1080p, but may go for a 2k monitor as well.

Edited by IAEV2500

Intel Core i5 9600K 4.7GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC / Corsair 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM / Corsair MP510 480GB M2 SSD / Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 RGB

Why all the AMD hardware?  Is that all that is available for you to purchase?  

For flight sim, Intel's CPUs are faster than AMD's, and Nvidia's GPUs are faster than AMD's.  It's just the way things have been for a long, long time.  AMD is getting better on the CPU side, but here you've chosen a 2nd-gen Ryzen which still has quite a gap in performance from modern Intel CPUs.  If you instead chose a 3rd-gen Ryzen, say the 3700x and the choice was between a 9600k and a 3700x, it would be a very close call. 

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a 9600k, I would recommend at least a 9700k for an Intel CPU, and at least a 3700 for an AMD CPU.  

As for GPU, on a 1080p screen you don't need a super high-end GPU, a GTX 1660 or RTX 2060 will be more than adequate.  

9 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Why all the AMD hardware?  Is that all that is available for you to purchase?  

For flight sim, Intel's CPUs are faster than AMD's, and Nvidia's GPUs are faster than AMD's.  It's just the way things have been for a long, long time.  AMD is getting better on the CPU side, but here you've chosen a 2nd-gen Ryzen which still has quite a gap in performance from modern Intel CPUs.  If you instead chose a 3rd-gen Ryzen, say the 3700x and the choice was between a 9600k and a 3700x, it would be a very close call. 

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a 9600k, I would recommend at least a 9700k for an Intel CPU, and at least a 3700 for an AMD CPU.  

As for GPU, on a 1080p screen you don't need a super high-end GPU, a GTX 1660 or RTX 2060 will be more than adequate.  

Thanks for the advices. But i thought P3D V4 requires at least 8GB Vram no matter what screen resolution you have ?

Intel Core i5 9600K 4.7GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC / Corsair 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM / Corsair MP510 480GB M2 SSD / Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 RGB

12 hours ago, IAEV2500 said:

Thanks for the advices. But i thought P3D V4 requires at least 8GB Vram no matter what screen resolution you have ?

https://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

2GB required, 8GB recommended. Also, VRAM utilization is inherently tied to resolution so there’s no way this supposition could even be true. Also, 2060 has 8GB VRAM so if it makes you feel better, go that route. 

It has been my experience with flight simulators that it is best to build a computer that matches or exceeds the "recommended" specifications.  Building a computer that matches the "minimum" requirements will result in having to run the sim at minimum graphics settings and little or no AI aircraft or ground vehicles.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

57 minutes ago, stans said:

It has been my experience with flight simulators that it is best to build a computer that matches or exceeds the "recommended" specifications.  Building a computer that matches the "minimum" requirements will result in having to run the sim at minimum graphics settings and little or no AI aircraft or ground vehicles.

This isn't universally applicable.  Specifically in regards to the VRAM recommendation.  There are many users on this forum running P3D on GTX 1070s and 1080s with fantastic results, and those only have a meager 8GB VRAM.

The 1660 (or 1660 Super if you prefer) is basically as close to a 1070 in performance.  I used a 1070 myself for P3D, at 4k resolution even.  No issues there.  

No one is recommending minimum specs to this poster, so I don't see the point in your last comment.  

On 11/22/2019 at 6:47 PM, IAEV2500 said:

I'm running 2560x1440 at 4x MSAA and I'm barely exceeding 3GB of VRAM usage.

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.