Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Will it be PMDG, A2A, Milviz or default Asobo?

Who will be the first to release a study level hot-air balloon 😎 ?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Is this topic really needed? Isn't there enough speculation already? 😄

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

If the user base gets big enough maybe it will be just a random person that does this. Some of the things people have been able to do with Skyrim and gtaV etc are amazing. 

3 hours ago, salsero_at said:

What is the purpose of such questions ??

Did you watch EP3 ? The new sim has a complex simulation of the airflows over any relief natural or man-made. For the first time since I began simming, 40 years ago, a hot-air balloon simulation makes sense. At the exception of Bill Lyons first attempts very long ago. 

Hot-air balloons, zeppelins will come to your computer. Would you prefer a botched FDE simulation, a simpler one like most of the Carenado birdsor something done  with the utmost care like the top-tier developers offer ?

This is the purpose of my question, my friend. Sorry that the topic title didn’t make you smile. You can’t win’em  all I suppose.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

17 minutes ago, domkle said:

Did you watch EP3 ?

I think there is a purpose for this kind of topic, i wonder if such a simulation can handle soft fabric wings too, like a paraglider, these are much more fragile in windy conditions and can collapse, a hot air ballon is also made of fabric and would be exposed to the wind simulation, this maybe could work inside the simulator.

Lets see whats the future brings us and whats possible beside standard Airplanes (Helis, Balloons, Zepelins, Paraglider, Parachute ect...)

Edited by Nedo68
  • Upvote 1

The soft fabric issue is an excellent example why we need smart dev handling new simcraft of that kind.

Dominique

A VR hot air balloon ride at dawn over the Serengeti, looking at the animals we saw in some of the trailers would be amazing.

3-day-private-fly-in-serengeti-tour-with

Closer to home, a hot air balloon festival is held near Clifton Suspension Bridge.

I'd love to "virtually" take part.

wc46kkzbthty1y4egodj.jpg

It's the kind of VR experience that you'd show off to visiting friends and relatives.

So, sign me up for a study level hot air balloon.

• Upvote 3

Doing another zeppelin would be amusing , they were the first passenger liners after all ,  LZ 11 Viktoria Luise (1912), LZ 13 Hansa (1912) and LZ 17Sachsen (1913). By  August 1914 1588 flights had carried 10,197 fare-paying passengers on that series.

Best CJ

1000 feet high at about 45 knots ! The German pilot shows (in English) the cockpit from the 1'07"mark. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Zeppelins, yes!

Balloons would be epic if coupled with good sounds (wind, passing birds, distant traffic, burner roar). Or award scores for closest landing to a designated spot. Addons could be different designs, passing birds, night time burner effects, etc.; I remember waking up one morning in Oxford and a huge red fire extinguisher was floating past my house. Imagine online balloon festivals to show off your funky designs. As nickhod points out, the Bristol Ballon Glow where they synchronise the balloons to music at night attracts thousands of visitors.

I know this will be anathema to simmers, but in all seriousness, if done right this could become a viral sensation among casual gamers. Like inclusion with Game Pass, this would be a low stakes but excellent way to get new people into the sim. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, domkle said:

The soft fabric issue is an excellent example why we need smart dev handling new simcraft of that kind.

Actually Dominique, it is entirely possible to animate an "inflatable balloon" using bones and "skinned mesh." Years ago I used the technique for a parachute as an experiment. :gaul:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't mean to inflate my own ego, but I expect DadJoke Productions will be first off the ground with this, as long as we don't get tied down by SDK limitations.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, n4gix said:

Actually Dominique, it is entirely possible to animate an "inflatable balloon" using bones and "skinned mesh." Years ago I used the technique for a parachute as an experiment. :gaul:

Super, now Bill, please go and convince the Milviz boss to give you the lead to design a zep’ or a montgolfiere. Lots of gauges to do too, did you see the cockpit in the vid I posted ?

• Like 1

Dominique