Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

Half-Life: Alyx is announced and how it's related to MSFS 2020

Half-Life: Alyx  is the only major opus in the Half Life series in 12 years. It's VR only with full support for Knuckles controllers, and all Index or Knuckles owners will get it free. The whole game world has gone crazy for the announcement.

What does this mean to MSFS? Well, it means it should get VR a harder look. There will be a upsurge of VR in 2020 along with Half-Life Alyx, Oculus Link, Pimax 8K X, etc., It would be a big loss for MSFS 2020 if it misses the big torrent. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

• Upvote 2

I see no connection to the VR of half life with MFS, better to compare a flight sim. VR will eventually come to mfs

• Upvote 4

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

11 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

I see no connection to the VR of half life with MFS, better to compare a flight sim. VR will eventually come to mfs

The connection is 2020, which will be a turning point for VR development. If MSFS 2020 could have VR in 2020, it would be remembered as the the major booster for VR along with Half-life: Alyx in human history.

• Like 1

Semi related, how close are we to foveated rendering? It's probably the thing that will finally get me on board because as much as I've loved VR every time I tried it I can't really afford a pc powerful enough to run it well, at least by current standards.

27 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

It would be a big loss for MSFS 2020 if it misses the big torrent. 

It won't, Asobo are experts in VR, so it's just a matter of time.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

18 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

The connection is 2020, which will be a turning point for VR development. If MSFS 2020 could have VR in 2020, it would be remembered as the the major booster for VR along with Half-life: Alyx in human history.

I don't know , but  if you mean that MFS should be or can be used only in VR ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Basically just another VR begging thread.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

20 minutes ago, nikita said:

Semi related, how close are we to foveated rendering? It's probably the thing that will finally get me on board because as much as I've loved VR every time I tried it I can't really afford a pc powerful enough to run it well, at least by current standards.

can i ask you what system are you running?

two years ago i was flying with a i7 4790k / GTX 1080 and had super fluid VR flying experience with Prepar3D & Orbx stuf, and this is allready 2 years ago.

(if interested you can watch it on my youtube channel)

34 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

My question is why VR needs a major boost from FS20 as there is already a "big torrent" and that the game world is already crazy about it :laugh: ?  

More seriously, as I said earlier,  Asobo has clearly said that the VR is in their DNA, that they  want to do it but they want do it right, not just a lame stereoscopic vision but a true interaction with the cockpit.  

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

can i ask you what system are you running?

two years ago i was flying with a i7 4790k / GTX 1080 and had super fluid VR flying experience with Prepar3D & Orbx stuf, and this is allready 2 years ago.

(if interested you can watch it on my youtube channel)

I'm a college student on an old midrange gaming laptop, i7 6700hq and gtx950m with 4gb ddr3 instead of gddr4 vram. Can't afford more currently and I move around a lot so I'd need a laptop anyway.

1 hour ago, nikita said:

HTC Vive Pro Eye already has eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/10/htc-vive-pro-eye-hands-on-gaze-into-vrs-future-with-foveated-rendering/

2 hours ago, nikita said:

There's some debate whether foveated rendering with eye tracking will ever be worth the hardware cost vs just throwing more pixels at the problem.

The very area where it's needed; mobile VR headsets, is the area where it would add too much cost and complexity to the system.

On the PC side, an RTX 2080 can already drive a  2160 x 2160 per eye (4k) headset. The screen door effect is almost gone at that resolution. In 5 years time, high end cards might be able to drive 6k or 8k headsets natively.

Fixed foveated rendering is already seen on the Oculus Quest when using the PC link.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nickhod said:

On the PC side, an RTX 2080 can already drive a  2160 x 2160 per eye (4k) headset.

The problem at this point is probably not the headsets at all, but rather the pitiful performance in both 2D and VR of most of our legacy sims.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There are multiple dubious assumptions here.  One, that HL Alyx alone is going to lead to a massive surge of sales in VR headsets that, let us not forget, cost hundreds of dollars.  Two, that the game's existence is going to mark a "turning point' in VR development, despite being a single game, made by a company hawking their own VR headset.  Three,  it assumes that there's a massive Venn diagram overlap between people who are going to run out and buy headsets for HL Alyx, and people who are going to play a hardcore flight simulator.  Four, it assumes this VR "turning point" will take the place of a singular wave that it's possible to "miss", by not having VR available in 2020... a point which seems to conflict with the idea of this being a turning point for VR as a platform.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3