Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

Half-Life: Alyx is announced and how it's related to MSFS 2020

I would say most simmers are happy to be able to afford a PC to run flight sim, VR hardware is not a few dollars like an airport, if you look at the most used hardware by gamers the 1060 -1080 GPU is most common not your 2080ti or 20 series, and if comes to do I upgrade my GPU or buy VR hardware we know what the answer is, and we have not even touched on CPU`s SSD hard drives to get better performance.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

39 minutes ago, rjfry said:

I would say most simmers are happy to be able to afford a PC to run flight sim, VR hardware is not a few dollars like an airport, if you look at the most used hardware by gamers the 1060 -1080 GPU is most common not your 2080ti or 20 series, and if comes to do I upgrade my GPU or buy VR hardware we know what the answer is, and we have not even touched on CPU`s SSD hard drives to get better performance.

I'm not really buying that argument.

In a forum where users constantly show off their zillion dollar cockpit setups, claim TrackIr is de rigueur, (and it aint cheap, either) boast of buying everything from Orbx, which easily comes to an astronomical price tag........

Not to mention the garagefulls of planes people purchase and the ubiquitous 50 inch monitors, blah blah......

But VR is too expensive?

At this exact moment, the Samsung Odyssey is on sale for $250, which is right around the expenditure of a good hotas setup.

People afford what they want to afford.

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 11/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Vlooi said:

VR smells too much like the 3D craze the world had some years ago. 3D TV's, this, that... And just like now with VR, proponents called it the second coming of graphics.

Agreed!

My 3D tv sits completely unused just like my Occulus VR set...!!!

Chris Camp

In my previous job, I worked on some projects ivolving VR and AR as well as tested The Hololens (MR) for an R&D project .

VR, as we know it now, in my opninion, is not the future and yes it could be a transition... 

On the other hand, I would say that Mixed Reality is the future...

The Hololens concept is in my view, a preview of future mainstream implementations of such technology in this field.

Being able to live a mix between the real world and a virtual one is the best option for entertainement, flight simulation or any simulation whatsoever (medical, engineering etc...)

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

On 11/23/2019 at 6:03 AM, yanfeng12342000 said:

The CEO's perfectionist attitude towards VR is something I fear most. He is making a simple matter complicated, and could eventually kill the implementation of VR.

Several days ago there was a poll about simple VR or complicated VR. It's regarded as repeating an old topic much discussed. But it isn't. I understand the poster has the same fear as me. 

Simple VR should be very simple to implement, and it won't harm the implementation of complex VR later. 

As some people have already said, there are many ways to go around the controller problem in VR. Let's imagine the most crude form of VR in which you can do nothing other than holding the joystick and watch the view. Now if you want to do more controls, you need only to switch back to 2D mode with the press of one button. So you switch from 2D to VR mode constantly. Does this break immersion? Of course. Will this be fun? You bet! I remember the early 3D movie is just the same. At certain points you are instructed to put on the 3D glasses to watch the short 3D passage. And then you reluctantly put it off to go on with the 2D view. It's awkward, but it's still great fun. Now I was just imagining the most crude and pitiful form of VR to show it's still great fun, and this does not do anybody or any future update any harm.

Maybe you are right, a straight forward VR implementation could be done for people who invested in VR and got used to it.

But if the CEO is perfectionist as you say, then this is why his studio raised the bar in terms of realism and immersion and is impressing the simulation and gaming industry with every screenshot, video or demo/preview of the new MSFS?  

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

1 hour ago, Claviateur said:

In my previous job, I worked on some projects ivolving VR and AR as well as tested The Hololens (MR) for an R&D project .

VR, as we know it now, in my opninion, is not the future and yes it could be a transition... 

On the other hand, I would say that Mixed Reality is the future...

The Hololens concept is in my view, a preview of future mainstream implementations of such technology in this field.

Being able to live a mix between the real world and a virtual one is the best option for entertainement, flight simulation or any simulation whatsoever (medical, engineering etc...)

It's a common opinion that AR has more potential than VR. Of course AR or MR also has a great future, but it's a different future than VR.

AR is more useful in educational, medical, production, and even millitary usage, while VR is born for gaming and entertainment as they need immersion which can be better realized in the closed space.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, HiFlyer said:

In a forum where users constantly show off their zillion dollar cockpit setups

Where are these constantly being shown? Cockpit builders, like VR users, are definitely in the (small) minority in the hobby as a whole.

Please, no more VR threads, I think the message is out there now!

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Where are these constantly being shown? Cockpit builders, like VR users, are definitely in the (small) minority in the hobby as a whole.

We probably define cockpit differently, if in your definition you include only actual aircraft mockups, whereas I include anything at least semi permanent that includes significant amounts of hardware devoted solely to flight simming, including multiple monitors and or projectors.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

We probably define cockpit differently, if in your definition you include only actual aircraft mockups, whereas I include anything at least semi permanent that includes significant amounts of hardware devoted solely to flight simming, including multiple monitors and or projectors.

We definitely do see things differently then. I'm still a little confused as to how a set of controls, the odd panel and some extra monitors could cost "zillions of dollars" and, more to the point, where these are all being constantly shown off.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

...didnt take to long, thread getting again poisoned and soon closed... good job.

2 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

...didnt take to long, thread getting again poisoned and soon closed... good job.

So there's something wrong with questioning a post which appears wrong or exaggerated? That seems fair to me as long as the posts are reasonable and not insulting.

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

We definitely do see things differently then. I'm still a little confused as to how a set of controls, the odd panel and some extra monitors could cost "zillions of dollars" and, more to the point, where these are all being constantly shown off.

A good place to start might be by perusing the several thousand posts in the cockpit subforum of this very site. As for arguing semantics about cockpits..... I'm not really interested in going there, in a thread about half-Life.

Devons rig

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

A good place to start might be by perusing the several thousand posts in the cockpit subforum of this very site.

I'm sorry but 40 posts in the last 12 months in that forum (many by the same people) and only a single screenshot hardly constitutes cockpits being constantly shown! 

14 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I'm sorry but 40 posts in the last 12 months in that forum (many by the same people) and only a single screenshot hardly constitutes cockpits being constantly shown! 

Wow....... 

Honestly, I'm not in any way willing to waste a nice day going back and forth on this till the mods come and delete both our posts. 

How about this....... You are right in every detail, and you win whatever prize is awarded on the internet for such things.

Devons rig

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 AM, Vlooi said:

VR smells too much like the 3D craze the world had some years ago. 3D TV's, this, that... And just like now with VR, proponents called it the second coming of graphics.

sJw4Q2I.jpg

• Upvote 1