Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

MSFS 2020 vs P3DV4

Hi, 

I have been involved in flight simulation since 2008.  In 2017 I changed from FSX to P3DV4.

Over the years I have spent hundreds of Euro for PMDG airplanes and add-on-areas sceneries and about 50 add-on airports.

I've read some enthusiastic reviews about "MSFS 2020", but I have my doubts about how it will work! I'm a big fan of Goolge Earth with its 3D modeled cities and thought how great it would be to have it in the simulator. 

"MSFS 2020“ will load permanently imense data during the virtual flight from the internet. The whole world is 20000 Bluray's large.   Purely environmental already a catastrophe. Virtual flying will be as harmful as real flying.  

My current P3DV4 has 200 GB with all addons. Ok I downloaded them once (!), but will that be so much with every flight from KLAS to KJFK in MSFS 2020? 
There is supposed to be an offline mode, but how good can it be?  

I respect the effort the developer has to make for the addon airports for P3D and that they have to cost between 15 and 30 Euro. Then I have to decide which airports are important to me and the others are just standard. 

How will MSFS 2020 do that, with its high standards, all airports have to be perfect. Who develops them, what is the cost?

Already now P3DV4 brings my 3 years ago still modern computers (I7 6770) with detailed addons to its limits brings. I now consider to upgrade to an I9 K 9900.
Does "MSFS 2020" have a fundamentally different game engine than P3DV4? 
Is "MSFS 2020" then only for owners of an I9 K 9900? 

What happens if I switch to MSFS 2020? 
What does the program itself cost?  What does the comparable equipment with addons cost? 

Will the addon manufacturers make their aircraft and airports compatible for free?

Will there be a subscription model, as with Netflix, a country with all detailed airports and area sceneries for 9.99 Euro, Europe 49.99 Euro, the world 99.99 Euro per month? 

I have the impression that this is a feasibility study by Microsoft, but not thought through to the end. 

In my opinion, a new flight simulator only has a chance if it is downward compatible within a certain framework. P3DV4 worked for me because I could continue to use 60% of the airports and update 20% for little money. 

I also don't think that satellite images and photo sceneries are a solution, I think it's more in the direction that AI programs will analyze  satellite images, digital maps, Google's 3D models and generating land class and vectors and Standard buildings and spezial POI  from them and working with a variety of textures derived from satellite images...

• Like 1

I think you will get more mindful answers to the question "What happens when I die", rather than to "What happens if I switch from P3D to MS2020" or whatever they call it.

• Like 3

We all have to try it first and only the we will know how it behaves compared to P3D + True Earth series / France VFR series + weather addon, but without airport addons ....

P3Dv4 :

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

MSFS2020 is still vaporware, a comparsion impossible.

Check again in around one year.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

20 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

MSFS2020 is still vaporware

Sigh, another one who doesn't know what vaporware is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

47 minutes ago, AnkH said:

You are aware of the subforum dedicated to MS2020?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/863-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Maybe this thread would fit better over there, no?

Just reading the threads there, would give the OP answers or the state of play for most of his questions, some of those having been, like the proverbial dead horse, beaten to the pulp.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

vaporware - in german: Dampfwaren?  :-)))

Yes may be you are right, in the moment is o lot marketing, we have to wait until it's out.

I think Microsoft is now trying to get the add on Developer on Bord ...

27 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

MSFS2020 is still vaporware, a comparsion impossible.

How exactly does MSFS2020 (<-- or whatever they call it) qualify as 'vaporware'?! 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

12 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

How exactly does MSFS2020 (<-- or whatever they call it) qualify as 'vaporware'?! 

va·por·ware
/ˈvāpərˌwer/
nounINFORMAL•COMPUTING
software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

vapourware

or US vaporware (ˈveɪpəˌwɛə)

NOUN

new computer software that has not yet been produced and which is likely never to be released or not to work as promised

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

As long as P3D amazes me I'll be happy, and it is still amazing me.
And the day MSFS will be released, I'll get it for sure but will continue using both until P3D will be outdated, meaning my fav airplanes converted to the new sim's engine.
I see no reason killing P3D today and am pretty sure I will use it for another couple of years.

That's the same good old story for decades 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Apart from the fact that the initial post is completely inconsistent, self-contradictory, overdramatic, entirely hypothetical and asking questions no one can answer at this point, it also looks like this has the potential to turn into the next avsim blockbuster thread.

Based on some of the initial responses here I'm getting the popcorn ready...

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

va·por·ware
/ˈvāpərˌwer/
nounINFORMAL•COMPUTING
software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

That's the first result you get when you google, and it's wrong.

Before throwing around words and definitions, people may at least try and do a little bit of research into them without just blindly repeating them. Literally the first line from wikipedia (not the best source in general, but in this case accurate)

"In the computer industry, vaporware (or vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

So using this in the context of MSFS2020 is categorically wrong at this point in time.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

15 minutes ago, Speedbird 217 said:

Apart from the fact that the initial post is completely inconsistent, self-contradictory, overdramatic, entirely hypothetical and asking questions no one can answer at this point, it also looks like this has the potential to turn into the next avsim blockbuster thread.

Based on some of the initial responses here I'm getting the popcorn ready...

That's the first result you get when you google, and it's wrong.

Before throwing around words and definitions, people may at least try and do a little bit of research into them without just blindly repeating them. Literally the first line from wikipedia (not the best source in general, but in this case accurate)

"In the computer industry, vaporware (or vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

So using this in the context of MSFS2020 is categorically wrong at this point in time.

I use a dictionary that is well known, not some obscure one. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vaporware

: a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available

Notice it says MAY not

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I use a dictionary that is well known, not some obscure one. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vaporware

First, that's not what you quoted initially.

Second, using your own link you are not helping your case: "[...] has not and may never become available.".

• Upvote 1

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"