Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Golden Age aircraft : a new beginning ?

I was privately discussing this afternoon with a fellow participant of this forum who has a more intimate knowledge of FDE than me and we came to the conclusion that the  new FDE architecture should  give a new life to all the aircraft of the Golden Age : GeeBee and all the superbly designed biplanes like the Waco, Staggerwing, Jungmeister. 

Those who say that the new sim would choke to death the 3PD world, should watch the last EP ! 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 7

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just out of curiosity, what is FDE?  Anyways, I really hope A2A (or Asobo) will make a Stearman.  Love that aircraft!

5 minutes ago, ual763 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is FDE?  Anyways, I really hope A2A (or Asobo) will make a Stearman.  Love that aircraft!

Flight Dynamics Ingyne

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ual763 said:

The term originated back in FS5 days, when Aircraft Factory (AF5) included a Flight Dynamics Editor, which was abbreviated FDE.

Today's usage seems to have morphed that into Flight Dynamics Envelope. In any case, an FDE currently consists of parameters in the aircraft.cfg file as well as the .air file, which together describe the flight dynamics.

In a similar morphing of meaning, an Aircraft Facilities file is created with a program named AFCAD, but today everyone calls Aircraft Facilities files as an "Afcad."

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, Bottle said:

Don’t forget balloooooons!

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Balloons will be great in vr. Don’t need the keyboard or mouse, just pull the trigger on the VR handle to make it go up (I know nothing about flying balloons)

Edited by NZ255
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NZ255 said:

Balloons will be great in vr. Don’t need the keyboard or mouse, just pull the trigger on the VR handle to make it go up (I know nothing about flying balloons)

Especially with ambient noises, birds, crickets, the sound of the wind blowing through the basket/ropes, maybe the sound of a distant aircraft, or road traffic....

• Like 1

Matthew S

17 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Especially with ambient noises, birds, crickets, the sound of the wind blowing through the basket/ropes, maybe the sound of a distant aircraft, or road traffic....

Part of what makes balloons so peaceful, is how quiet they are.  In a balloon, you move with the wind, so there is no ambient wind, and therefore no wind sound.  So peaceful up there!  But, yes, you can hear cars/trucks regularly if you are flying over a city.  But, over the countryside, it is dead silence.  Definitely recommend trying it sometime!

• Like 3

I agree.. 

Please, Please we would like..Classic Aircraft & balloons, zeppelins & so on. Even a car or two to check out the scenery.

NOT EVERYONE WANTS PMDG type 'study' aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Goose, Constellation, Stearman, Avro..... the list goes on.. Real flying, not Bus driving! 

Edited by Wobbie
  • Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

I agree.. 

Please, Please we would like..Classic Aircraft & balloons, zeppelins & so on. Even a car or two to check out the scenery.

NOT EVERYONE WANTS PMDG type 'study' aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Goose, Constellation, Stearman, Avro..... the list goes on.. Real flying, not Bus driving! 

And the Stearman of course, fond memories of Bob Sanderson's bird ! 

• Like 1

Dominique

Since FLIGHT did have a rather nice Stearman (and the Icon) chances aren't that bad that the new MSFS might come with a Stearman as well....

• Like 3

I earned my tailwheel in a Stearman.  It was the most fun I’ve ever had in a plane.    Would absolutely love to see one added to MSFS!  The one in Flight was actually pretty decent.  If they could take that and touch up the texture work, it would be phenomenal with the new MSFS physics and ground characteristics.