Sign in to follow this  
fs4fun

MSFS supporting glTF for 3D Models

Great news, with MSFS supporting glTF it means developers can use any 3D modeling software they choose, no lock-in to the ultra-expensive 3DSMax.

https://www.khronos.org/gltf/

I expect Blender will be the software of choice for hobbyists but there may be other affordable options. Houdini has some nice gamedev plugins.

• Like 9

Barry Friedman

Thanks for the headup

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

22 hours ago, fs4fun said:

Great news, with MSFS supporting glTF it means developers can use any 3D modeling software they choose, no lock-in to the ultra-expensive 3DSMax.

I expect Blender will be the software of choice for hobbyists but there may be other affordable options. Houdini has some nice gamedev plugins.

This is great news. Houdini is not cheap either, but unlike Max it actually feels like you are getting your money's worth as SideFx constantly add new features. 

Simply putting down the AutoUV SOP gives good enough UVs 90% of the time; it's such a huge timesaver that I would pay the $22.4 a month for that SOP alone.

The glTF ROP supports custom attributes, so it should be trivial to get it to work with Microsoft Flight Simulator once they release the spec!

Adobe $20.99, Substance $19.99, Houdini $ 22.4, Blender $0. Total = $63.4 a month for all the professional apps you need as an addon developer. 3DS Max alone is $130! Bye bye Autodesk glad to be rid of you.

• Like 3

We've yet to see exactly what will be in the sim. It could be glTF in a binary format (.glb). It could also be a compressed format, an encrypted format, converted to the old MDL format (gasp). We'll have to wait until an SDK arrives to see just what is possible.

Is it possible to export glTF with 3Ds Max 2014?

59 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

Is it possible to export glTF with 3Ds Max 2014?

No. Max is such a stagnant product that even in the latest version, there is no native exporter. There is a plugin available, but it's only compatible with 2015+

On 11/22/2019 at 3:59 PM, fs4fun said:

Yes great news as I use Sketchup Make for my scenery work.

But hopefully, the scenery BGLs with 3D models created for FSX and having the (never to do) multiple textures per model, could be converted to a 1 texture/1 Material with some plugin, SDK tool etc. 

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998