Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Samsung Odyssey Plus for $250

That I am sure is the lowest I've seen the Obyssey+

Its their black friday sale price according to the website so I think its as low as its getting for now:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/

I was going to buy a HP Reverb but it seems the Black friday Price of the Consumer version is $549.

Well over double the price of the odyssey+. It will be my second Odyssey+ and I never had any issue with it

so happy to dive in again. I am sure there are pro's and cons to each. Sure the Reverb has a higher resolution but at $250

The Odyssey+ Wins for me.

Edited by Avidean

Thanks for the heads-up on this, just ordered one from here in the UK, £251 inc delivery and import fees, bargain of the year (I hope!)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Would this work with FSX? I’ve been considering VR but couldn’t justify the price. This a good entry point.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

53 minutes ago, joelpacheco said:

Would this work with FSX? I’ve been considering VR but couldn’t justify the price. This a good entry point.

With FSX you would also need Flyinside to use VR https://flyinside-fsx.com/Download

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, joelpacheco said:

You will also need Windows 10. It's a Windows Mixed Reality headset.

Just buy it on on Newegg.ca

They must be out of their mind They want CAD$720 for it! 🤣

https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-hmd-odyssey-head-mounted-display/p/N82E16826190064?cm_sp=SearchSuccess-_-INFOCARD-_-samsung+odyssey+plus-_-9SIA7BB9V86761-_-1&Description=samsung+odyssey+plus

4 minutes ago, Avidean said:

You will also need Windows 10. It's a Windows Mixed Reality headset.

Just buy it on on Newegg.ca

They must be out of their mind They want CAD$720 for it! 🤣

https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-hmd-odyssey-head-mounted-display/p/N82E16826190064?cm_sp=SearchSuccess-_-INFOCARD-_-samsung+odyssey+plus-_-9SIA7BB9V86761-_-1&Description=samsung+odyssey+plus

In the usa, its $229

Devons rig

37 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

In the usa, its $229

Yes I saw that. on you Newegg.com post. Right now its US$249.99 on Samsung.com so Newegg.com has Samsung beat. Microsoft.ca is winning with CAD$299 which is currently US$225.

Certainly not enough of a difference to warrant Canada/US cross boarder shopping but its fun to watch. It might get lower before Friday or Monday week. I wonder will HP throw a spanner in works with a Consumer Reverb for US$350. I'd buy it at that price but I can't see that happening.

Edited by Avidean

I pulled the trigger, now the learning curve begins. I hope I can make it work with windows 7 as I have no plan to “upgrade” to Windows 10. 

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

3 hours ago, joelpacheco said:

I pulled the trigger, now the learning curve begins. I hope I can make it work with windows 7 as I have no plan to “upgrade” to Windows 10. 

Wmr headsets do not work with Windows 7. Previously, the Oculus Rift did work with Windows 7 and 8, but just recently support was discontinued as well.

Devons rig

Rift S is a better flightsim headset overall.

I bought the odyssey plus for this price last black friday. I don’t regret the purchase, and flew a lot of hours with it (i stopped using my CV1 after getting it).  But i’ve hardly used it since i got the rift s earlier this year.

if i was still going to use the odyssey, it would be for night flights. In fact, i’ve kept the odyssey for just this reason, though in practice it’s been months since i plugged it in.

just my opinion, but i’m a 100% vr flier and have been for about 4 years now. At $250, you can buy it just to try it out, but if you’re a non vr flier looking for a first headset the rift S is likely a better choice.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

For those not in the US who want the Samsung Odyssey Plus.

I bought this headset last Black Friday from the US (was in Australia at the time), from a company called Big Apple Buddy.

I see they have it listed for USD$229 as of now, which is certainly a keen price (for the bargain hunters out there, this is the biggest % discount by far on an HMD).

Basically, this is a company that buys the product in the US and then charges you shipping and a service fee.

In a lot of countries, this will be by far the cheapest way to acquire an Odyssey+ (though keep the extra fees in mind when doing the math).

https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/product/277/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-latest-version/7?child_sku=1

I had no problem with this company, and would use them again.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Reporting back after 2 weeks of VR flying.

I’m glad I took advantage of the Odyssey+ deal ($220) to try VR. I have been flying X-plane 11 everyday, mostly the Zibo and the Dreamfoil EMB 110. Tried DCS and looks good but DCS is not for me and settled with X-plane for now.

Granted, the resolution is not perfect but oh boy it is immersive. It immediately improved my soft landing skills. I see great potential for VR technology. I read HP Reverb has better resolution but I cannot justify that kind of money. I will enjoy what I have for now. Found a workaround binding the temporary zoom-in option to a button on the yoke, but noticed that once I get familiar with a cockpit setup I barely use the zoom. 

Try VR if you haven’t!

Joel Pacheco

On 11/28/2019 at 7:31 AM, OzWhitey said:

Rift S is a better flightsim headset overall.

I bought the odyssey plus for this price last black friday. I don’t regret the purchase, and flew a lot of hours with it (i stopped using my CV1 after getting it).  But i’ve hardly used it since i got the rift s earlier this year.

if i was still going to use the odyssey, it would be for night flights. In fact, i’ve kept the odyssey for just this reason, though in practice it’s been months since i plugged it in.

just my opinion, but i’m a 100% vr flier and have been for about 4 years now. At $250, you can buy it just to try it out, but if you’re a non vr flier looking for a first headset the rift S is likely a better choice.

Agree 100%, I also got the Odyssey+ when it first went on crazy discount and don't regret it, sold my Rift CV1 shortly after. However, I could never get it to sit comfortably and the Windows Mixed Reality software which always pops up is annoying. Eventually got the Rift S, and hardly used the Odyssey+ since then. I'm thinking of using the Odyssey+ for car racing sims on a separate PC while the Rift S will be my main VR headset for flying and seated games with controller etc. I waited a long time to get the Rift S, thinking that it is too small an upgrade on Rift CV1 to justify the expensive, but I have been very impressed by it. However, the Odyssey + at $250 is exceptional value for money.

Edited by rooitou

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit