Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

DCS World 2.5 Track IR vs VR

Seemed a fairly even-handed assessment from somebody with both.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As a person who has used both in DCS, I'll never go back to TrackIR after experiencing VR.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

It's strange he mentioned swapping over to the Oculus sound system. I've just come to that conclusion myself. With the VR headset and headphones it was a PITA 'undressing'. I'm now looking to cobble up some kind of sound deflectors so that 'er indoors doesn't get too irritated by engine noises. 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

47 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

It's strange he mentioned swapping over to the Oculus sound system. I've just come to that conclusion myself. With the VR headset and headphones it was a PITA 'undressing'. I'm now looking to cobble up some kind of sound deflectors so that 'er indoors doesn't get too irritated by engine noises. 

In the beginning, the Oculus S speakers were practically inaudible, and very substandard. Later and recent software updates have raised them to being actually tolerable for everyday use. Maybe even too loud if one wishes to avoid the wrath of the much-to-be-feared (and loved and obeyed) SO 😋 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It's a shame they didn't use the CV1 earphones. I've been half expecting them to come up with that as a solution. Still, can't go back eh?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I ended up removing the headphones from my VRs headsets and wearing a headset over mine. That's party because I've got a very nice headset, and party because the voice recognition just worked a lot better with my headset than it did with the Rift CV1. I did not even try it with the Reverb, just went straight to the headset setup. 

I do wish there was a way to show the external view outside the headset though. I think that would improve the usability of VR in general of one could quickly loom outside the game without removing the visor. I wear glasses, so can't just slide the visor up, either; I have to pull it off from the back. 

1 hour ago, HarryVoyager said:

I do wish there was a way to show the external view outside the headset though. I think that would improve the usability of VR in general of one could quickly loom outside the game without removing the visor. I wear glasses, so can't just slide the visor up, either; I have to pull it off from the back. 

Devons rig

On 11/26/2019 at 10:55 AM, HiFlyer said:

Very interesting. Do you know if the HP Reverb supports that? It does have front mounted cameras, but initial searches on a Reverb pass through mode tends to turn up mostly audio mixer techniques... 

9 minutes ago, HarryVoyager said:

Very interesting. Do you know if the HP Reverb supports that? It does have front mounted cameras, but initial searches on a Reverb pass through mode tends to turn up mostly audio mixer techniques... 

You can turn on Mixed Reality Flashlight from the Start menu, by pressing Windows + Grab on your motion controller, or by saying "Flashlight on/off." Point your controller in the direction of what you want to see, like using a flashlight in the dark.

Devons rig

45 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

You can turn on Mixed Reality Flashlight from the Start menu, by pressing Windows + Grab on your motion controller, or by saying "Flashlight on/off." Point your controller in the direction of what you want to see, like using a flashlight in the dark.

Ah very handy. Do you know if there is a way to use it without the hand controller?

I'm thinking binding one of the joystick buttons to the pass through, if I could get it to simply do the center of the screen, rather than focusing on wherever the hand controllers are at. 

6 hours ago, HarryVoyager said:

Yes, the Reverb have also that Camera view outside the headset. Activate with one of the controllers the "Flashlight" symbol  button after pressing the "Windows" button. 

9 hours ago, HarryVoyager said:

Ah very handy. Do you know if there is a way to use it without the hand controller?

I'm thinking binding one of the joystick buttons to the pass through, if I could get it to simply do the center of the screen, rather than focusing on wherever the hand controllers are at. 

I don't know of any way to do it without the controllers.

Devons rig

I have the Rift S. Whilst its a big improvement from the CV1, compared to my 2560x1440 monitor the picture is not as clear. This is to be expected of course.

The reviewer here is using a very large screen at only 1080p so going to the Rift S would probably not be as much of a shock to him.

VR really is the way to go for immersion factor though. Eventually we will have the hardware to drive very high res VR headsets effectively and then there will be no comparison.