Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Will MSFS work with standard joysticks?

I just bought Forza Horizon 4 and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it recognize my Thrustmaster T16000M and so it makes me wonder:

Will MSFS give me the same trouble?

Will I be required to purchase an Xbox controller to fly MSFS?

P.S.: Is there even a manual for Forza 4?  there is zero help available. I'd appreciate help if you can give it.

Edited by sightseer
  • Like 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I fly with a Saitek yoke, throttle and pedals. Not the top of the range gear but they featured in the Global Preview of the sim a couple of months ago. They have promised that a range of flight gear will be supported.

I doubt that your Xbox car racing controller will be among them. Check out the Forza forums for info regarding Horizon 4.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_forum18_Forza-Horizon-4.aspx

Mike Beckwith

Sure it will work with the T16000M and a xbox controller. Both are working already nicely with FSX, P3D etc.

2 hours ago, Highmike said:

I doubt that your Xbox car racing controller will be among them. Check out the Forza forums for info regarding Horizon 4.

The Thrustmaster T16000M is a joystick, unless they have a racing wheel version.

3 hours ago, sightseer said:

P.S.: Is there even a manual for Forza 4?  there is zero help available. I'd appreciate help if you can give it.

Now, I'm not sure about Forza, but certainly when Steam had their "play free on the weekend" promo for F1 2019, I could use my joystick to control the car (by mapping it to the axes, etc). It's quite hard to control.

Is the problem in recognizing the joystick or mapping it?

I just NEED it to work well with my Microsoft FF2 joystick.  In my opinion, there is no joystick to compare to the FF2.  I've bought and tried at least 10 others, and I sent them all back.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Concodroid said:

Is the problem in recognizing the joystick or mapping it?

It won't recognize it at all.  I scoured the forzamotorsport dot net website but there are no answers there.  It works in all my other games.

I'm hoping to get an answer to my forza issue here but I also really need MS to know it would  be very frustrating if they make MSFS so that it requires an Xbox controller the way forza appears to.

I don't have lots of money to throw at different controllers for different games.

Thanks for trying to help.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

If you're playing Horizon 4 on PC then your Thrustmaster will work with MSFS 2020, but not with Horizon 4.

If you're playing Horizon 4 on Xbox then you're stuck with the good old Xbox controller if you don't want buy a racing wheel.

Try posting in the Hardware and Peripherals forum if you have any questions. Your Microsoft credentials will get you posting on the Forza forums.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_topics65_Hardware-and-Peripherals.aspx

Mike Beckwith

@Highmike  -  Thanks for trying to help.  I don't have an Xbox.  i fly/drive on PC.  I checked the website you posted but I don't see any solutions for me.

thanks again.

22 hours ago, spilok said:

I've bought and tried at least 10 others, and I sent them all back.

Remind me not to sell you a joystick. 🙂

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

20 hours ago, David Mills said:

Remind me not to sell you a joystick. 🙂

Thank you David Mills....your post gave me a really nice laugh and start to the day. 😊

• Like 1