Sign in to follow this  
bradbuddy

Seeking opinions

Hey everyone. Wanted some opinions here, as I’m admittedly not anywhere near an expert on computers. I fly Prepard3d v4. I use a significant amount of Orbx products. ActiveSky. Add on-airports, etc. I also fly a lot of events on vatsim. 

I’m running an older Asus computer. Figured I could make significant upgrades for under what a new computer would cost. Bought an i9-990k cpu. RTX 2080 super graphics card. 32GB RAM. 

While trying to install I was told I’d need a new motherboard and cooling system. However, the size of the computer would prevent us from installing the proper cooling system for the i9. The max cpu I can have is the I-7 6700K. If I pair that with the 32GB in RAM and the RTX 2080 Super and installation of everything needed to get my comp up to speed I’ll be out the door at $1,600. 

The question is, is that worth my while knowing I’m installing what is now an old CPU? And will that CPU run a supped up Prepar3d the way you’d hope with the graphics card? Or, at this point, am I better off just buying a new computer that will be at the front end of the tech for a bit? In terms of budget I can afford to spend a decent bit more here, but balance that with the fact I like having more money in my pocket vs. less. Thanks for the thoughts.

brad Bud 

While trying to install I was told I’d need a new motherboard and cooling system

You don't say what you were trying to install ??

It is entirely possible (and easy) to install Windows 7 on modern hardware, ie NVME and usb3, and use UEFI on a GPT partition.

See my signature.

Chris.

Edited by ChrisDa
Typo

17 minutes ago, ChrisDa said:

You don't say what you were trying to install ??

It is entirely possible (and easy) to install Windows 7 on modern hardware, ie NVME and usb3, and use UEFI on a GPT partition.

See my signature.

Chris.

Sorry. While installing the CPU they realized I won’t be able to fit a cooling system large enough to support any CPU more powerful than the i7-6700. So just a matter if that CPU will be good enough going forward. 

brad 

I'm not quite clear but is the size of your case the issue?  If so, I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor when you're forking our some serious money for the rest of the upgrade, cases are relatively cheap I'd buy the case that fits your build.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

From the sound of it (I don't know what case you have) you'd be time, money, and aggravation ahead if you just got a new case.

If you want to keep your case, you can get some small cooling solutions in with a 9900K.  If it's really *that* tight in there, you can always go with an external radiator.  I'm still trying to figure out how coolers for a 9900K are any larger than those for a 6700K...I've never heard that but then again I skipped the 6th gen cpu's.

I would want to go with a 9th gen cpu if I were building right now. And as was said, I wouldn't let a small case get in the way of great hardware.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

31 minutes ago, Mace said:

From the sound of it (I don't know what case you have) you'd be time, money, and aggravation ahead if you just got a new case.

If you want to keep your case, you can get some small cooling solutions in with a 9900K.  If it's really *that* tight in there, you can always go with an external radiator.  I'm still trying to figure out how coolers for a 9900K are any larger than those for a 6700K...I've never heard that but then again I skipped the 6th gen cpu's.

I would want to go with a 9th gen cpu if I were building right now. And as was said, I wouldn't let a small case get in the way of great hardware.

Ok, these are the replies I was hoping for, and quite honestly was worried I’d get cause I assumed my lack of knowledge was causing me to miss something obvious. So, no one had offered the option of a new case. I assumed it had something to do with the size of the plug ins, etc. If it’s that simple it’s a no brainer. I haven’t got great help on this though at the store. It took them 36 hours and 5 phone calls to figure out the stuff won’t work as is. Burned 2 hours looking for a motherboard and cooler we then didn’t need. Anyways, thank you guys so much!! Tomorrow I will go in first thing and see if a new case will do it. 

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in addition to a new case you're going to need a new motherboard. I doubt a board designed to take a 6700K is going to run a 9900K.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

14 minutes ago, somiller said:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in addition to a new case you're going to need a new motherboard. I doubt a board designed to take a 6700K is going to run a 9900K.

Kind Regards,

Yes, in the event I go new case I will need to get a new motherboard and a cooling unit. Seems like it’ll put me up around 2,400 when all said and done. But it will be ahead of what I’m seeing can be bought in the 3k range so I suppose that’ll work ok. 

14 minutes ago, somiller said:

Kind Regards,

Yes, in the event I go new case I will need to get a new motherboard and a cooling unit. Seems like it’ll put me up around 2,400 when all said and done. But it will be ahead of what I’m seeing can be bought in the 3k range so I suppose that’ll work ok. 

In Oct. 2016 I spent almost exactly $2400.00 for the computer seen in my signature. I feel $2400.00 for the rig you describe would be a reasonable price, and you'd have a quite powerful P3D machine. If I were making the decision, and it cost 1/2 that much to build with the 6700K, I'd go with the 9900K and spend the $2400. I'm actually considering buying a GTX 2080Ti, which ironically, would cost about 1/2 what I paid for my entire current rig.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Good luck with your build.  You might poke around the hardware section of the forum too, lots of knowledgeable people here who could provide advice on cases, cooling etc.  I’ve made use of the expertise on this forum with every build I’ve done.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

You could sell your current rig and buy what you want then save all the aggravation in case something doesn't work right after all your rebuild efforts and expense let alone all the research time you have to put in wasting valuable time in the end is equal to your extra money being spent.

I would go for the new rig if I had the cash on hand.

Regards

Pete

@bradbuddy, leave your existing PC untouched and use it as a second networked PC for running ancillary programs such as a moving map ( Aivlasoft’s Electronic Flight Bag).

You need a new mobo, memory, CPU and graphics card for your new PC making your existing one only useful as a support machine.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, bradbuddy said:

If you're going to spend that much (3k) you might investigate a builder that specializes in flight sim machines, like JetLine or similar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I agree with the sentiments above. If you are looking at a RTX 2080 Super  make sure your underlying infrastructure is up to speed to match the GPU or you will end up being disappointed with the results.

• Upvote 1

Johan Pienaar