Sign in to follow this  
d.tsakiris

PILOT'S FS GLOBAL ULTIMATE - NEXT GENERATION - FPS Impact?

Hello everyone,

as Pilot's meshes are on sale, I'm interested in the FPS impact of such highly detailed data. Does someone have experience regarding this?

Thanks,

Dimitri

• Like 3

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I am not having any fps issues.  Infact default p3d4.5hf2 with entire Pilot's Global NG Ultimate installed on m.2 loads up in 6 seconds.  Once I start addons sceneries it slows up but not too bad.  

My mesh settings in p3d is set to 5m as that is what is recommended for Orbx sceneries.

Keep in mind that it is a huge download

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Could you do me a favor and make a comparison? In a region with highest LOD (1 m according to the website) switch from 5 to 1 m mesh resolution and note the FPS values? That would be great.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

25 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

Could you do me a favor and make a comparison? In a region with highest LOD (1 m according to the website) switch from 5 to 1 m mesh resolution and note the FPS values? That would be great.

What area would that be? any area in mind.You will have to give me a day or two - I will try

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

As skywolf said, it's a negligible impact on frames, but you can expect much longer load times on HDDs or SATA interface SSDs. I run the later and it added about 3 min to my boot time.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

Also be aware that you have to expect the mesh popping to become a lot worse compared to the default mesh.

I finally uninstalled the Pilot's mesh because I couldn't stand it any more.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Skywolf, maybe LOWI? Not necessarily a 1 m region, I just fly around there often.

Steve and Ralf, I already use FreeMesh X, and Global 2010 before that, so I'm hoping FPS impact and popping are minimal.

Best regards, Dimitrios

I have been using Pilot's Global NG Ultimate for a while now and have not noticed any performance loss.  I only activate the area I'm flying in, and that reduces the load time, and I haven't noticed any "poping".

One thing is , I have had to disable some cells so as the mesh will fit correctly with Imaginesim KATL, FSDreamteam KLAS, and the Orbx mountain air strips in the highlands of Papua & New Guinea.  If I remember rightly, there were 5 cells I had to shut off to be compatible with my system.

Otherwise, all good.

Chris.

Edited by ChrisDa
Correction
  • Like 2

I use Pilots older mesh which is pretty sharp too.

In my experience, a sharp mesh has a negligible impact on frame rate but makes initial loading much longer, specially if global, because it is made of thousands of small files.

It will worsen the trough/plateau effect for default airports. I never saw any problem for the airports in Orbx fat regions (except the strips in PNG)  which have their own mesh sometime superseded by my mesh. You will have more relief morphing, I don’t like it but I got used to it. Question of taste.

That being said,  it is for me an indispensable addon.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Hey @d.tsakiris

There is 50% sale on Simmarket on this - I wish I got it on sale. 

Please see all pics here - they are on 4K with FSGlobal 2018 NG + Orbx Global + Vector + openLC EU + Orbx Lowi and with default F22 and FSlabs A320

Enjoy

https://imgur.com/a/1H3x2SH

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Skywolf Lowi and the surrounding area come with its on mesh. Pilots mesh would not affect the area. This is what I  understand .

Edited by reecemj

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I’ve had FS Global mesh for years. Yes, it extends loading times but the advantage is it turns the Matterhorn into the classic shape as opposed to being just another shapeless hump.

Frame rate hit is negligible. Check these images provided by Stefan of Pilots... 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Got rid of FS Global mesh back with FSX...  No matter what I did it was a mess of plateau and sunken valley airports.

Got tired of having the above constant issues wherever I flew and would rather deal with the default mesh.

• Like 1

Chris Camp

Hi,

I used FS Global 2010 for some time and then upgraded to the FS Global 2010 FTX edition.

Then I bought FS Global Utimate NG and had high expectations to this new mesh.

But I must admit, that I did not like it and reverted back to my FS Global 2010 FTX Edition.

Some reasons:

• FS Global 2010 + FTX Vector is working without problems on my side (using the elevation corrections from Vector)
  • With FS Gobal Ultimate I had some elevation issues which I did not like (no plateaus, but sunken airports on one side of the rwy, etc).
  • Using the AFM2-tool is something I also don't like, because it's no global solution and I do not want to always check the arrival airport before my flight. (Then using the tool to find out it still has some minor issues)
  • When used, AFM2 did also cause some strange elevation issues with some scenery/terrain - houses, cliffs, small pools, etc.
  • Of course the mesh is a bit better in resolution, but I came to the conclusion, that this is sth I don't really need.
  • It was no difference performance-wise with only marginal impact. Mesh-popping will occur with all mesh-products.

Since then I'm flying with my 2010 mesh and everything is working as it should.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Edited by Mischung
  • Like 1

Marc Weber

It does - thanks

Best regards, Dimitrios