Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why I'll Buy it Without Seasons

1 minute ago, b737800 said:

Regardless, I understand WHY it might need to be like this in the first release(s), which is why I'd happily take summer only rather than waiting an extra X months before they were happy with seasonal textures.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether they will be doing winter/autumn/spring textures by using shaders - or do you think it'll be winter photo imagery?

34 minutes ago, b737800 said:

Just facts or reasonable assumptions would do. No need to fill a post with praise, but I'm having a hard time remembering a post from you that wasn't 100% criticism. Maybe that's how you look at everything.

No, it's just that I have to keep responding to you.

MSFS is best, throw out the rest.

We good now?

Mark Daniels

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether they will be doing winter/autumn/spring textures by using shaders - or do you think it'll be winter photo imagery?

I would think the former. It would be harder to get consistent winter imagery than summer I'm guessing, and shaders would potentially let you mimic any season from a known good base summer texture.

It's a total guess, but based on some logic I hope.

2 minutes ago, Max50 said:

MSFS is best, throw out the rest.

We good now?

We were always good... but say it like you mean it 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, domkle said:

If I wanted to sum up this thread, I'd say that most of us consider seasons as a must but are ready to accept that they could come with a delay. We are reasonable guys, seasoned simmers :smile:

Certainly most contributors to this thread would consider seasons a "must", but that could be a bit misleading. I think those who consider seasons a "must" are simply more likely to air their opinion on a thread such as this than those who don't have the same strength of feeling.

Personally, as someone who only flies over non seasonal, non autogen photoscenery, and has done for years, I don't consider seasonal change important..at all. Granted, some of the Alpine scenery I have depicts snow on the peaks, but that's still a long way from 'Hard Winter'.

Given that MSFS 2020 upon release will be Summer only, I've got what I want, and therefore have no real need to comment (yes, I accept the irony of that statement) lol.

Having said that, I want it because YOU lot want it, and therefore if it IS implemented at some future point, we'll be a more harmonious user base! Actually, if they do it well, it could be REALLY special.

The weather aspect is interesting. I've not flown in 'live weather' (other than real life), but I can appreciate the visual contradiction now its been raised! 

Out of interest (and it is genuinely a point of interest), do commercial airline simulators have seasonal depictions as part of their training environment? I think I've seen a training captain bring up a snowstorm, but I don't know if that impacted on the underlying terrain?

3 minutes ago, b737800 said:

We were always good... but say it like you mean it 😉

Promise. I'll even upvote you.

(I'll check later to see if I can remove it) lol

• Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

9 minutes ago, Max50 said:

Promise. I'll even upvote you.

(I'll check later to see if I can remove it) lol

You remind me of me (not sure I should say that). No problems at all with differing opinions and do feel free to put me in my place, when necessary.

13 minutes ago, norfolkmike said:

of interest (and it is genuinely a point of interest), do commercial airline simulators have seasonal depictions as part of their training environment? I think I've seen a training captain bring up a snowstorm, but I don't know if that impacted on the underlying terrain?

The ones I've used have been shockingly bad. WAY worse than FS...old, but admittedly it's been a while. Hoping to rectify that soon.

When I commented that MSFS was way better, the answer given was always that the Level D is all about the flight model and realistic movement to airflow / malfunctions etc. As long as the airport was in the right place and the runway aligned / sloped / friction accounted for, light plates in the right places, airport lights as they should be etc, trees having accurate snow on them and giraffes not being pregnant after 6pm wasn't at all necessary. I'd be very interested in seeing some more up to date photos though.

EDIT: forgot to mention... the professional sims I've used also had collimated displays, which means the light reaching your eyeballs was adjusted (straightened) to give the illusion of distance. Adds dramatically to the immersion.

Edited by b737800
collimated
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can someone point me to the article from the developers where it said that it would be released without seasons? No, I couldn't either! The only reference I could find was this one from the Interview with Jörg,

"Season is also such a topic. Basically, you can easily add snow. But you'll also need things like snow clearance vehicles. The snow must thaw sometime, then the rivers are completely different. But that's also the case with animals. Bears are known to sleep in winter. Some animals fly south, others north. There we talk a lot about how far we can get."

Do any of you honestly think that after spending the last 4 years and (probably) many thousands of dollars building this exquisite piece of software! After building a weather system that is just off the "wow scale" and after stating many times that they were aiming for perfection, that they would leave out something as basic as the changing seasons! I can, however, see them adding hibernating Bears later (maybe)!!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

7 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

Can someone point me to the article from the developers where it said that it would be released without seasons? No, I couldn't either! The only reference I could find was this one from the Interview with Jörg,

One of the interviews specifically has him saying that seasons was a requested feature they were looking to implement.  They were also looking at VR.   Also, in all of the videos we have seen, seasonal landscapes have always been summer.

• Upvote 1

Man, with threads like this, Microsoft is kicking back, opening brewskis and saying: I guess whatever we release, they're gonna buy.

Sorry, no seasons, no buy. I suppose it's gonna get awfully crowded over in the Caribeans....

And then people talk about "realism" and "flight dynamics".😉

I can't help thinking that if all of those people who claim "no seasons, no buy" actually followed through with that (and I have my doubts that most would), I don't think that it would actually have a significant impact on sales. It's like all the other "no xxx, no buy" threads (you know who you are), if the released sim is as good as promised I'm sure the temptation to buy will just be too great. As much as I'd like seasons, I'll definitely buy it without them if the rest is as good as it currently appears.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

No AI people will buy word not allowed ATC people will buy no VR people will buy I could go on people will buy whatever then complain it`s been like that for years, some simmers turn off AI road traffic ECT.

I will say P3D will still be used a lot as it will be the only true successor to FSX and with seasons which I use all the time, when I fly in P3D today it will be 26/11/2019. 

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

It would make the choice easier if they release it in northern hemisphere summer.  But no seasons...come on... it's one of those ridiculous omissions which makes a mockery of an otherwise fantastic sim.  Same with XP

It's also ridiculous having perpetual summer textures with a real weather environment.  So we'll be flying in potentially deepest winter weather, (which may include snow) but with bright green colourful mid-summer landscapes.....stupid

Spot on!

58 minutes ago, b737800 said:

The ones I've used have been shockingly bad. WAY worse than FS...old, but admittedly it's been a while. Hoping to rectify that soon.

When I commented that MSFS was way better, the answer given was always that the Level D is all about the flight model and realistic movement to airflow / malfunctions etc. As long as the airport was in the right place and the runway aligned / sloped / friction accounted for, light plates in the right places, airport lights as they should be etc, trees having accurate snow on them and giraffes not being pregnant after 6pm wasn't at all necessary. I'd be very interested in seeing some more up to date photos though.

EDIT: forgot to mention... the professional sims I've used also had collimated displays, which means the light reaching your eyeballs was adjusted (straightened) to give the illusion of distance. Adds dramatically to the immersion.

Interesting, thanks. Needless to say, I've never experienced a commercial simulator (737 for example), but most of what I've seen on YouTube seemed to suggest the terrain was of low importance . Admittedly, I had to Google the word Collimated, and yes, I can imagine such a feature brings a cockpit to life.

I'm pretty obsessed with the 737 now myself. No SO obsessed that I can justify even considering a cockpit, but hopefully VR might go some way (if implemented) to making the experience more...erm...complete? 

1 hour ago, b737800 said:

Interesting, thanks. Needless to say, I've never experienced a commercial simulator (737 for example), but most of what I've seen on YouTube seemed to suggest the terrain was of low importance . Admittedly, I had to Google the word Collimated, and yes, I can imagine such a feature brings a cockpit to life.

I'm pretty obsessed with the 737 now myself. No SO obsessed that I can justify even considering a cockpit, but hopefully VR might go some way (if implemented) to making the experience more...erm...complete?